REAR STRUTS ON A SUZUKI KIZASHI SLS

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Tom Kizzie

After reading a few days on this forum i know i have to check everything around the wheels,shocks,swaybars,toebars?? etc etc

I want my car to be perfect. I had KW coil overs (type3) on my swift sport but after 17 years driving carslike swift gti and swift sport i am now ready for the comfort and premium feel of the beautiful kizashi. Ok maybe the KW coilovers are driveable when setup is soft. they are not cheap and on my swiff sport i got one blown rear KW shock
Last edited by Tom Kizzie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

Marcov71 wrote:Well onto purchasing my second set of rear shocks and bump stops. I replaced them at about 76,000 miles. My rear left shock is now blown...so annoying. I forgot where i ordered the bump stops from. Anyone have a link to purchase them. I found the shocks pretty cheap on Partsgeek.com
Were the replacement bump stoppers the revised design? This is the critical factor. Unless the KYB bump stoppers are exactly the same as the revised OE part, I wouldn't get them. Otherwise, you won't actually prevent the problem of water getting trapped and prematurely corroding the shock. This issue isn't a shock problem but a bump stopper design flaw. This is why some people have replaced multiple rear shocks but had them keep failing. It's the bump stopper that needs to be replaced with the revised model, not just new shocks.
Here's Woodie's photo as reference. They need to be exactly like these:

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Marcov71

Kuronekko, to be honest, I dont remember if they were the revised design. i do know that i ordered the same part no. as the pic above as i still have the receipt for it. I know they were white just like the pic above. when I saw them yesterday they were a very dark yellow, and I asked my mechanic if he in fact changed the bump stops because the ones I brought to him were white. He told me he "thinks he did" and the color change is probably due to the oil leaking from the shock. Just wondering if anyone know the color of the original bump stop. I beginning to think, he did not replace it.
2012 Kizashi CVT AWD/ w paint chips :shock:
Orange County/Brooklyn NY
KuroNekko

Marcov71 wrote:Kuronekko, to be honest, I dont remember if they were the revised design. i do know that i ordered the same part no. as the pic above as i still have the receipt for it. I know they were white just like the pic above. when I saw them yesterday they were a very dark yellow, and I asked my mechanic if he in fact changed the bump stops because the ones I brought to him were white. He told me he "thinks he did" and the color change is probably due to the oil leaking from the shock. Just wondering if anyone know the color of the original bump stop. I beginning to think, he did not replace it.
The faulty originals are yellow. There's a comparison photo in the thread dedicated to this issue.
However, the best way to tell is the groove you see on the top side of the new ones. The revised design features the grooves that run from the hole in middle and down the sides as you see in the picture above. The originals do not feature this. Also, the originals were always yellow in color (nothing to do with age) and I don't think the leaked oil from the shocks would color them like that. After all, they would leak below that point in the bump stopper and also on the inside.
I have no doubt your mechanic failed to replace the bump stoppers which is the crux of this whole issue. You brought him the correct ones but he didn't install them and reused the old ones which is why you have failed shocks again. Someone needs a kick in the dick.
Marcov71

I knew it....damn it!! Is there a pic uploaded on here with the original color of the bump stopper?
2012 Kizashi CVT AWD/ w paint chips :shock:
Orange County/Brooklyn NY
KuroNekko

Marcov71 wrote:I knew it....damn it!! Is there a pic uploaded on here with the original color of the bump stopper?
The image below. It's not of my original one (this is someone else's car) but mine was the same color. This was the color as new from the factory. I noticed it when my car was new and long before the rear suspension went out. It was then replaced with the revised bump stopper which has a light cream color.
If yours has this yellow color like the picture, your mechanic simply reused the old ones instead of installing the new bump stoppers you gave him.

Ronzuki

Marcov71 wrote:He told me he "thinks he did" and the color change is probably due to the oil leaking from the shock.
...did he think he remembered to put oil back into the engine of the last car he changed the oil in? :facepalm:

I think he needs more training...new part: clean and shiney, old part: filthy and nasty.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
BLyons

I don't think my originals were that yellow. I thought they were basically the same cream color as the replacements.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Tom Kizzie

Mine are that Yellow ;)
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

Just keep in mind that various factors affect whether a Kizashi has these old or new bump stoppers. If you bought your car used, perhaps the previous owner had the work done with the new bump stoppers installed. I've also heard that the later model Kizashis came with the revised bump stoppers from the factory.
Also, there was a Technical Service Bulletin out in the US for this issue, but I'm not sure about other global markets. It could be a thing much like the spider/emissions vent recall where the problem could be global but only addressed in certain markets.