Crankshaft Position sensor and some other things

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
dslatsh

Hey guys so I recently purchase a 2011 kizashi sls awd. I love the car as far as ride etc. although I do have complaints about the audio system because my subby does nothing...doesn't even change volume when I mess with the volume controls on the head unit but I do have the navi package. Recently though something worse has happened, when I went to get my windows tinted my batter died. When I tried to start the car of course it wouldn't really do anything...but then it started going crazy and throwing a CEL saying all these things needed serviced like ESP, ABS, start system etc. After they jumped me I had the CEL again but that's all it said was service engine...took it to auto zone they scanned it (don't remember the code) but it was for the crankshaft position sensor...which I thought was odd because it was shifting fine etc.. The light has never came on before this happened I've had it for about a month now. So I reset the computer which cleared the CEL and went on my trip out of town.....the light never came back on until the other day when I some how left my lights on and my battery died again which I had to get it jumped again. It was a repeat of the same thing again for the crankshaft sensor. Should I reset the computer again? Is the battery dying and then getting jumped possibly causing the computer to get confused and think the sensor is bad due to the low power because of a dead battery and then being jumped all of sudden because I know the crank sensor also is included for the start of the car. I read that if your sensor is bad sometimes your car won't even turn over because does not know the position of the crank etc.. I did call the dealership i just bought it from and they said it would not be covered...so I called an actual Suzuki dealership and it's out of Warranty for that so would be around $200 some to get it replaced. Although I might be able to do it on my own because I know this isn't something that has to be timed after replaced etc but i heard it's a pain in the arse to get too. Thanks guys!
Speed_Racer

I'd start by replacing that battery. But can't you get them tested at AutoZone? They can tell you if it's dead and no longer holding a charge (otherwise it'd be an alternator issue not charging the battery correctly.)

I would do that before you start replacing sensors, since the CEL and dash lights seem to be correlated with you having to jump your car each time.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

Yup, replace the battery if it's giving you problems. The CELs are most likely false positives that are being set off by your battery dying. When the battery doesn't have the threshold voltage to start the car, all kinds of error messages can come up.
If it's a matter of a good battery dying because lights, radio, etc. that are left on, then drive the car so the alternator charges the battery.
If your battery is old and weak, replace it and you should not have these CEL issues. Merely disconnecting your battery for several minutes will cause any CEL to clear. Upon reconnecting the battery (new or old), the CEL should not come back unless it's a reoccurring error.
Given what you describe, I really think it's your battery and not anything else with your car. Given you said your car is out of warranty, I think your car is old enough to need a new battery.
Replace the battery and you should be set with no CELs.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
dslatsh

With that being said..should i go for the OEM car battery or just get one of those Duracell optimal from like Sam's club etc.
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:With that being said..should i go for the OEM car battery or just get one of those Duracell optimal from like Sam's club etc.
Aftermarket for sure. The OE batteries are usually inferior to aftermarket batteries, IMO. I recently changed out my OE battery to an Interstate battery sold at Costco. If you're a Sam's Club member instead, I think the Duracell would be a good choice. Don't bother going to the dealer for an OE battery. You'll pay more for an inferior battery.
KuroNekko

Oh, and it sounds like you have a blown-out sub woofer.
dslatsh

I was wondering if it was blown but the level control doesn't change subby volume at all and I read on here kenwood kind of screwed up some systems
KuroNekko

Yeah, the Kenwood navi systems with the RF stereo are said to be inferior in sound quality to the RF stereos without the nav. Is it that you don't have any bass or is it that there's not much difference when adjusting the bass sound?
dslatsh

There's bass...the front door panels supply it (believe their mid bass w/e they call them) Just subby volume/impact doesn't change at all when level is changed or volume or subby. Is it possible that replacing the head unit could result in better quality etc.? ALSO this is a little off topic a well but do you by chance know the bulb size of the footwell lighting (courtesy light) I know there's courtesy t10 light in the bottom of the doors..but there's also a bulb in the paneling. Thanks
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:There's bass...the front door panels supply it (believe their mid bass w/e they call them) Just subby volume/impact doesn't change at all when level is changed or volume or subby. Is it possible that replacing the head unit could result in better quality etc.? ALSO this is a little off topic a well but do you by chance know the bulb size of the footwell lighting (courtesy light) I know there's courtesy t10 light in the bottom of the doors..but there's also a bulb in the paneling. Thanks
It really sound like your rear shelf-mounted subwoofer is blown out. You can open the trunk and look at the subwoofer. You should see a Rockford Fosgate plastic cover. You should also see an electrical connector. Disconnect that and see if there is any difference in sound. If not, I think it's clear that your rear subwoofer is blown out.

The footwell lights are orange LEDs and I believe aren't designed to be replaced. If they are out, make sure that they are turned on through the car's menu. Press and hold down the "DISP" button for several seconds. You will see a menu appear on the dash screen. Scroll through until you see the one for the footwell lights. You can opt to turn them off, on with only door opening, or turn them on along with the headlights.