CVT oil change

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

You'll find that vibration in automatic transmissions with a torque converter. Traditional autos and CVTs like the one in the Kizashi use torque converters so a little vibration while stopped in Drive is normal.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
vlade.alek

Is easy to change CVT gearbox oil? Only drain and refill ?
eatrocks

No it's a pain...I'm just letting mine go since the only thing in the manual is to just add oil if low. Mine came stock with the pink looking fluid....I'm tired of yelling 'don't check the trains fluid' at valvoline....they always try to get me to change the power steering fluid.....
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
bdleonard

A drain and refill is easy, and takes about 4 quarts of CVT fluid. Remove the plastic under body cover below the transmission, and there is a drain plug on the bottom of the CVT pan. Just refill through the dipstick tube, using a narrow tipped funnel. Make sure you get the level set correctly, ideally by following the procedure described in the service manual. But in a pinch you can just measure out the amount of fluid removed, and replace with the same. Be careful not to overfill the CVT.

A full fluid change would be more challenging, and would probably require disconnecting a CVT cooler line and running the vehicle to use the transmission to pump out the old fluid as you add new. You should able to find detailed description of this procedure on some of the Nissan forums, as they use the same CVT in many of their vehicles.
vlade.alek

I changed mine also, it takes 4 quarts, easy job. The old oil have dark color, and the new one green.
WESHOOT2

Hmmmm......
bootymac

bdleonard wrote:A drain and refill is easy, and takes about 4 quarts of CVT fluid. Remove the plastic under body cover below the transmission, and there is a drain plug on the bottom of the CVT pan. Just refill through the dipstick tube, using a narrow tipped funnel. Make sure you get the level set correctly, ideally by following the procedure described in the service manual. But in a pinch you can just measure out the amount of fluid removed, and replace with the same. Be careful not to overfill the CVT.

A full fluid change would be more challenging, and would probably require disconnecting a CVT cooler line and running the vehicle to use the transmission to pump out the old fluid as you add new. You should able to find detailed description of this procedure on some of the Nissan forums, as they use the same CVT in many of their vehicles.
This is the best approach IMO. Rather than doing a full flush at higher mileage, do periodic drain and fills. Measure how much you drain and refill with the same amount. Using a "measu-funnel" makes life a lot easier

How often are you going to do drain and fills?
razz

Thinking of buying a 2013 kizashi awd. Being in canada and with all he suzuki dealerships gone, where does one buy cvt fluid? Are prices jacked up for fluids/parts, since the car is no longer in north america?
DiggerDerrik

razz wrote:Thinking of buying a 2013 kizashi awd. Being in canada and with all he suzuki dealerships gone, where does one buy cvt fluid? Are prices jacked up for fluids/parts, since the car is no longer in north america?

First time I did a drain and fill I bought the valvoline CVT fluid at an auto parts store. I think it was spendy. Like $10 a quart. Second time i did a complete flush, I got 12 quarts of Havoline CVT fluid from Amazon for about $60. I don’t recall how much the filters were but probably under $30 for both. That was last fall and those prices are in American dollars. 128,000 miles (206,000KM) still smooth as silk.

As far as parts.... filters and plugs are easy to find. Suspension parts like tie rods and ball joints. Probably not so much. If something like a sensor went out perhaps you’d have to do some searching. Headlight low beams are an H7 bulb. They go out often. Amazon has them for $16.

Good thing these cars are pretty much trouble free. Mine has never asked for anything outside of basic maintenance, tires and maybe 10 sets of headlights :lol:
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
razz

DiggerDerrik wrote:
razz wrote: Good thing these cars are pretty much trouble free. Mine has never asked for anything outside of basic maintenance, tires and maybe 10 sets of headlights :lol:
Thanks for answering. With regards to tires I've learned the kizashi has tpms sensors in their tires. For winter tires do you need to have those senors in the winter tires for the car to run properly, or can you run without them.

Also for the tranny oil, does it not have to be made specifically by suzuki? When I was researching to swap the oil in my svt on my nissan, everyone recommended to use authentic nissan cvt oil.