Power Steering Failure

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Klaymore

I had the power steering on my 2010 Kizashi GTS suddenly fail a few days ago. I was driving straight down a country road at about 60mph in light rain. The steering was fine and I've never had issues with it in the past. I noticed the wheel was suddenly very heavy. I then noticed the power steering warning light was on. The car would still steer but with about ten times more effort on my part to turn the wheel. I pulled over, turned the car off, and restarted it. The steering was normal again and hasn't acted up since. I only found one other person on another Suzuki forum who's had this problem though it sounded like their steering went out much more frequently. There wasn't a reply on that thread though besides stating the steering is electric not hydraulic.

Has anyone else had their power steering fail like this? Any insight on the problem would be appreciated.
LPSISRL

You could get your hands on the service manual and go through the power steering troubleshooting flow chart. Have no idea what's on it, but since it's electrical, I'm sure it's pretty complicate. Maybe there's a code in the BCM? Since it's not doing it now, very difficult to solve.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
WESHOOT2

sunspots
SamirD

Weird. I'm wondering if the rain had something to do with it? Did you hit any puddles or anything that could splash water up there?

In my 95 Altima I once had a transmission light and the whole tranny went into limp home mode. This was right after I had been sliding the car sideways for almost an hour in rainy weather to learn control.

I checked the FSM and it indicated a sensor failed that was right where water could splash up when driving like this in water. I let the car sit for twelve hours until it was completely dry and it was perfectly fine when I started it again.
Andychrystal

I just had the same problem but very frequent. It just cuts in and out every other time I turn it on. Has anyone found a solution to this problem or has been down this road?
n8dogg

Sounds extremely unusual, at least in the Kizashi. Hopefully someone here has some constructive suggestions for you. Good luck to you on this one!
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Ronzuki

The electronics nightmares are beginning to rear their ugly heads more frequently now as the model ages...

The 'check the manual suggestion' is the best place to start.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:The electronics nightmares are beginning to rear their ugly heads more frequently now as the model ages...
But since they seem like simple electrical issues (grounding, etc.), hopefully we'll have solutions to most of them by the time they become more prevalent. 8-)
Ronzuki

unfortunately, I don't share the same optimistic outlook...what should be and what is are vastly different...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2795
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Tonya

My steering used to go out I would be driving down the road and boom. Shut it off restart and it would be fine. However one day it happened and restarting didn’t fix it. After several things we looked up in steering column and there was a piece that wasn’t snapped together all the way. Snapped it back and haven’t had a problem since . It’s been over a year now