Coolant for the Kizashi

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
SamirD

I know I'm necro'ing a thread, but thank you Kuro for the research on the coolant. I need to top ours off and was also considering the motorcycle stuff. Now I know bettter. 8-)

Can't wait until I can breathe again and post more on here. Miss you guys!
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:I know I'm necro'ing a thread, but thank you Kuro for the research on the coolant. I need to top ours off and was also considering the motorcycle stuff. Now I know bettter. 8-)

Can't wait until I can breathe again and post more on here. Miss you guys!
No problem. I too was relieved to learn we can use easy-to-find coolant for our Kizashis.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

just for fun........i never changed coolant on my first Kizashi, went 164,370 miles......at one time i added some coolant to the overflow tank with some old stuff i had in the garage.....
WESHOOT2

But now I'll only be adding SuperBlue stuff to this one!

Thanks again to the knowers here.
SamirD

So after calling around a bit yesterday, looks like finding genuine suzuki super blue is going to be as hard as finding the factory all weather mats. :(
Jack

I have a 2013 Kizashi SE AWD. It is almost exactly 3 years old with 22,000 miles. As other owners have stated, I am also smelling anti-freeze after most drives, and the coolant level is getting close to the low line. The coolant color is blue and I assume it is the super long life blue. The recommended flush out interval is 90 months or 90,000 miles. This just seems too long to wait for fresh anti-freeze. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
KuroNekko

Jack wrote:I have a 2013 Kizashi SE AWD. It is almost exactly 3 years old with 22,000 miles. As other owners have stated, I am also smelling anti-freeze after most drives, and the coolant level is getting close to the low line. The coolant color is blue and I assume it is the super long life blue. The recommended flush out interval is 90 months or 90,000 miles. This just seems too long to wait for fresh anti-freeze. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
I don't think you need to change it at such a low mileage. If you smell the coolant, you need to make sure the caps are on tight. When the engine has cooled down, check the radiator cap and re-tighten it. Make sure it's seated properly. Also check the reservoir cap to make sure it's on tight. You can buy some generic Super Blue at an auto parts store to top off the reservoir. Some coolant loss over the years is normal.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Jack wrote:I have a 2013 Kizashi SE AWD. It is almost exactly 3 years old with 22,000 miles. As other owners have stated, I am also smelling anti-freeze after most drives, and the coolant level is getting close to the low line. The coolant color is blue and I assume it is the super long life blue. The recommended flush out interval is 90 months or 90,000 miles. This just seems too long to wait for fresh anti-freeze. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
So awesome that you have so little miles! I'm jealous as our 2011 has passed the 50k mark, but still feels quite new.

So I was able to pinpoint my small coolant leak to one of the hoses that connect to the overflow bottle. Looks like either a clamp or something like that just leaks a bit--but enough that over the years, we lost almost 1/2 a gallon of coolant. :shock:

The blue coolant is definitely much, much different than coolants of the past and I could see it going well past 100k. I actually have run even the green coolant past 100k on some of my cars, but those are cars in the southern states that wouldn't be dealing with freezing temps.

I didn't have time to find the genuine Suzuki coolant yet, but knew we were low enough that we needed some in there stat. So I found Subaru part number soa868v9270 and added it in. It seemed to mix fine with the existing coolant and was already pre-mixed like the genuine Suzuki coolant. One thing to note is that the Subaru bottle actually had the wrong part number printed on it--SOA868V9250, but it was definitely coolant and not the transmission cooler flush bottle that SOA868V9250 refers to. Probably just a batch of misprinted labels, but I would be interested to know if anyone else runs into this issue.

My advice would be to get the genuine Suzuki coolant if you can find it since you have some time, but don't let it drop below that low mark or you'll start having air in the system. I had to bleed out air out of our system for almost an hour, and its still all not out yet. :( Worse case, get some of the Subaru coolant (or even the Honda one) and add some in. The key thing to remember about the life expectancy of your coolant is its uniformity--it should all be the exact same chemical makeup. Mess that up and you'll need to flush it regardless. Good luck!
Woodie

I wouldn't worry one bit about changing it, maybe if it gets to be ten years old. You also needn't worry because it's about to get changed. If you're smelling antifreeze then you've got a leak.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
LPSISRL

So, since the cooling system is a closed system, where does the reservoir coolant disappear to?

Mine was at the low line so I bought some of the Pentofrost A3 blue from AutoZone and filled it back to the full line. I do smell coolant from the grill when the engine is hot but can't detect any leaks anywhere. Anyone else experience this? BTW - 83K miles.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)