Coolant for the Kizashi

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

There have been a number of discussions about the Kizashi's coolant and what to use. Given that my reservoir is now very low, I'm personally searching for some coolant that will be appropriate. The OE Suzuki Super Long Life Coolant is very hard to come by so I decided to do some research on alternatives. I even called Suzuki Auto to confirm some things so I wanted to relay the info here:

1) Suzuki does not recommend the use of the Suzuki motorcycle coolant for their cars. Suzuki makes Super Long Life Coolant for motorcycles which is apparently blue. I asked the Suzuki customer rep if that was the same formula and he stated that it's not recommended for cars because many motorcycle fluids differ in additive specs from car fluids. He couldn't give me technical data but gave the example of how motorcycle motor oil of the same weight is still different from car engine motor oil in regards to additives. He stated that the additives can differ in coolant so it's best to use coolant formulated specifically for cars. I was considering going to a Suzuki motorcycle dealer for a bottle of coolant but I guess that's not recommended.

2) Suzuki stated that Super Long Life Coolant (the blue formula) is all the same for automotive applications so you can use coolant from Nissan or Subaru as long as it's the Super Long Life coolant that is blue. He stated that aftermarket coolants that are "Super Blue" are also acceptable and stated that most auto parts stores should stock it. This means that the use of Beck/Arnley Extended Life Blue coolant and the like is approved.

3) Suzuki stated that the mixing of green and blue fluid is not recommended. The rep stated that it won't necessarily damage the vehicle but it will diminish the extended life properties of the blue fluid. In essence, it's not good to mix the two different fluids so stick to one or the other. Keep in mind that the Kizashi comes filled from the factory with the Super Long Life blue coolant.

4) The first service interval for the Super Long Life blue coolant for the Kizashi is 150,000 KM (93,000 miles) according to the Suzuki Maintenance Schedule linked below from Suzuki of Canada. After that initial service, the blue coolant is to be replaced every 75,000 KM (46,600 miles). For Kizashis using the green coolant, the interval is every 50,000 KM (31,000 miles).
https://www.suzuki.ca/auto/Kizashi_11-1 ... Severe.pdf
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Speed_Racer

Very helpful information, thank you!
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

I ended up finding the coolant in Autozone. I picked up a gallon of Pentosin Pentofrost A3 which is the Super Long Life blue coolant. The product is 50/50 prediluted so it's ready to use. It was about $18.99 or so.

nytq

KuroNekko wrote:I ended up finding the coolant in Autozone. I picked up a gallon of Pentosin Pentofrost A3 which is the Super Long Life blue coolant. The product is 50/50 prediluted so it's ready to use. It was about $18.99 or so.

Good to know. I got paranoid about locating maintenance items about 2 years ago. Stocked up on the suzuki coolant and cvt fluid along with a few other wear items. While I doubt I'll have the car that long, it's good to know alternatives are easily available.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Sluggo

Just bought Suzuki Super Long Life Coolant for $23.95.
I have Subaru Super Blue Coolant for my Impreza and Honda Super Blue for my Honda.
I know they are all suppose to be the same but for a few dollars, well why take a chance?

Sluggo wrote:Just bought Suzuki Super Long Life Coolant for $23.95.
I have Subaru Super Blue Coolant for my Impreza and Honda Super Blue for my Honda.
I know they are all suppose to be the same but for a few dollars, well why take a chance?
It's best to use the factory stuff like you do but in all likeliness, they have similar OE manufacturers making them. Even the Pentosin coolant I bought from Autozone was made in Japan despite Pentosin being a German brand sold in the US. It was too much of a pain for me to get the Suzuki stuff so I opted for the aftermarket after getting Suzuki's blessings.
dslatsh

Interesting my kizashi I bought used came with the green coolant in it. Had only 45,000 miles on it when I got it. So I'm guessing the same applies to the green coolant meaning can use aftermarket green?
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:Interesting my kizashi I bought used came with the green coolant in it. Had only 45,000 miles on it when I got it. So I'm guessing the same applies to the green coolant meaning can use aftermarket green?
I bet the previous owner was scammed by Jiffy Lube or some other shop about prematurely replacing their factory filled Super Blue coolant. It was likely drained out and the lower-grade green coolant put in. If I were you, I'd drain the green stuff and use Super Blue which is the factory fill. You can safely use either the green or the blue, but the Super Blue formula has a longer service interval.
dslatsh

Well whatever they put in it......does a great job of getting that engine up to where it should be...I checked the fluid to see what temps can be in...was I believe almost -40. Question is if i do that should i just go with an after market blue?
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:Well whatever they put in it......does a great job of getting that engine up to where it should be...I checked the fluid to see what temps can be in...was I believe almost -40. Question is if i do that should i just go with an after market blue?
I topped off my reservoir with an aftermarket Super Blue following Suzuki Automotive's recommendation. These Super Blue coolants are pretty much all the same according to Suzuki.