Unable to lock the trunk lid

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
red rider

Red rider here, trying to sell my Kizashi, in the process of taking additional pictures for Autotrader must have hit the trunk lid button on the the remote while the ignition was on acc and now it won't close at all. The doors lock and unlock fine. But the icon on the dash shows the doors are open. I disconnected the battery for a minute with no reset noted. I also made sure the trunk lock button in the glove compartment is in the unlock position. When standing outside the car and pressing the trunk lid button on the remote you can hear the click. I also pulled on the emergency release handle. Is there a reset once that handle is pulled? Any thoughts regarding this would greatly appreciated. Did a forum search, nothing specific came up. Google search wasn't pertinent to the Kizashi. Thanks in advance. :shock:
red rider

I just want to clarify that the trunk lid is acting as if the remote fob was in the trunk when it's not or anywhere inside the car.
Ronzuki

trunk lid won't 'close'... meaning it won't 'latch' thereby you can lift the lid up w/o touching the lid's button under the lip? I don't know how the lid latch reacts when the FOB is in he trunk. Never tried that and don't want to either.

Sounds as though t's not latching. Try giving a good hard slam w/ hand force applied directly above the latch. Every so often, mine doesn't latch.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
red rider

Yes, exactly, it's not latching. I tried that but not latching. I am waiting till after 9am to reach out to American Suzuki Motor Corporation for technical assistance. I doubt the dealer would be very helpful. One question, I removed the red terminal on the battery yesterday for about a minute hoping to reset the locking system. However, this am, when looking at the picture of the battery being jumped in the manual it shows the positive terminal as the non red terminal, the one closest to the firewall.
KuroNekko

red rider wrote:Yes, exactly, it's not latching. I tried that but not latching. I am waiting till after 9am to reach out to American Suzuki Motor Corporation for technical assistance. I doubt the dealer would be very helpful. One question, I removed the red terminal on the battery yesterday for about a minute hoping to reset the locking system. However, this am, when looking at the picture of the battery being jumped in the manual it shows the positive terminal as the non red terminal, the one closest to the firewall.
When disconnecting a battery, you always are to remove the negative terminal. The positive terminal on the Kizashi has a red plastic cover over it. Leave it alone.
Try the battery disconnect again. Once you remove the negative terminal, get in your car and step on the brake pedal to release possible residue electrical current via the brake lights. I'd then go into the trunk and manually pull on the emergency handle to mechanically open the latch mechanism. After several minutes, reconnect the negative terminal of the battery after closing the trunk (if possible). See if that resets the electronic trunk latch.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Mine did this one time and then I discovered my wife's purse was in the trunk... with the second fob in it.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
red rider

KuroNekko, thank you very much that did the trick. However, I have to repeatedly slam the trunk lid down very hard in order for it to lock now. It will unlock using the inside car release as well as the remote key fob. I have a repair appointment tomorrow, do you think it's worth keeping for the difficult closure process which is now new?
KuroNekko

red rider wrote:KuroNekko, thank you very much that did the trick. However, I have to repeatedly slam the trunk lid down very hard in order for it to lock now. It will unlock using the inside car release as well as the remote key fob. I have a repair appointment tomorrow, do you think it's worth keeping for the difficult closure process which is now new?
If the dealership isn't far, you might as well keep the appointment and have them check it out. They may be able to adjust the mechanism, if that's possible. Otherwise, it might not be worth it now that the trunk closes. You're selling the car soon anyway.
However, first try pulling on the emergency handle as far as it will go. This should open the mechanical lock. Close the trunk and then lock it with the fob. Then unlock with the fob, open, and then shut and lock with the fob. I think the issue is the lock position in the electronic latch so resetting its position is ideal if possible with this process.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
red rider

I tried your other suggestions, KuroNekko, unfortunately, not working. This issue keeps shape shifting like the creature in Kurt Russell's " The Thing". Now, the trunk lid will close you can see and hear the latch wrapping around the striker once you're inside the trunk if you close it slowly. However, the trunk lid will open with the least amount of road jarring or slight manual up pressure from the outside. So, it closes just won't stay shut and secure. I had to reschedule the repair appointment to 6/14/16 come to find out the Suzuki tech was on vacation till 6/9/16. I think it's cost effective for me to have the tech diagnose the issue, then I can buy the parts needed and install them myself. Thanks
Flipside360

Hey Red rider have you found a cure for that pain of a latch. Mine started doing the same thing... it random, some time i close the trunk and seconds after, the latch releasses quickly, sometimes i can hear it open a couple of time in a row??? thank god there is the lock button in the glove comparment. Still it a drag, everytime i want to open the trunk, i first gotta unlock it with the button