Rhythmic clicking sound in very low speed when car first starts

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
ipaqxman

My Kizashi developed this annoying and scary noise that corresponds to the driving speed (or how fast the wheel is turning) ONLY at very slow speed (initial acceleration or slowing down) and ONLY if the car has sat cold for a long time (only in the morning or when I go home from work, lasts 5 minutes). It does not happen after the car picks up any speed, so happens more when it coasting down) and it goes away after I drive the car for more than 5 minutes. As the wheel slows down the noise also slows, like a tapping sound, tap...tap.....tap.........tap. It started happening after I brought the car in for a tire repair, which I assume they only elevated the car and took a wheel off, not sure what else they could have messed up. Any ideas?
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

So the noise isn't present when the engine is idling? It's only present when the vehicle is in motion?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Since it started after taking it in for a tire repair, I'd remove that wheel and check for anything stuck in there. Also, make sure all the lugs are tight.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
ipaqxman

Thanks for the replies.

1) Correct. The rhythmic clicking/tapping sound is only present when the car is in very slow motion and corresponds to the turning of the wheel. And it is not present if I give it more gas and pick up speed. Only there with initial motion from stop, and reappears when the car coasts to stop. Also only for the first 5 minutes after a cold engine start. If I just park for a quick grocery run, come back and start driving, the noise is not there. Only if the car was left alone for hours.

2) There has been tire rotation by another shop and they said they did not find anything. The tire was also taken off again since the first shop did not fix the tire right. But the sound is still there.

Now I wonder if it's not the wheel or lugs but something messed up with the drive train.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
JohnRodriguez

@ipaqxman Have you figured out where the clicking noise came from? I have had this problem in my car since I got it and its progressively gotten worse. I thought it was just a normal noise of the car when it initially takes off. Its slowly turned worse over the 3-4 years I've had it. Any luck on your part?
john_smithass

Hey man, I have the exact same problem. Have you found the cause of it and the needed repair?
old tech

Ive heard this before and I think your cvt primary pulley is starting to wobble due to excessive clearance at the ball and groove. The good news is this can be fixed for $150. The bad news is the tranny has to come out and shipped to n/w Pennsylvania. No one that I know of has gone after this to fix the noise. They usually sell it or wait till it breaks. Time is limited though. It will end up breaking.
Olnick

My 2013 SX-4 with 46K miles started making this exact noise, Now with 48K miles it very hard NOT to hear it! It was stated that the problem could be fixed with sending the CVT to n/w Pennsylvania! It was Not stated to who or what exact location? Can anyone offer that information?
I already have $900.00 thrown at it for a replacement transfer case that I was told the thumping was coming from, I like "tangible" problems as they save a ton of money in the long run!

Thanks

Olnick
old tech

Your mileage is extremely low for an sx4 to have a failure of the cvt but it could be starting. I have had 2 sx4s with 90k break the primary balls thus breaking the primary pulley but most of the sx4 awd's will last to the 175k mark though. I pm'd you.
Olnick

Thanks old tech! Another question? When they do go out how does it happen? No go/ parts pieces on the ground/ lock up/ Etc. I need the car for another two weeks to attend a special occasion about 70 miles one way on the highway. The noise appears to have leveled off at this point.

thanks

Olnick