Who can suggest a reliable set of LED's that fit in the stock enclosure

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
motosonic

I have a 2010 GTS and I've replaced my headlight bulbs way too many times and frankly I'm done with it. Can anyone recommend a specific LED KIT that will work on the Kizashi? I have 0 mechanical ability so, I might have to have someone with familiarity install for me.. but at this point, I'm willing because my headlights always burn out in the winter and I freeze my arse off trying to replace them. But I'm hoping to find one that's easy to install so I don't have to take that forsaken bumper off again.

Looking for something that'll fit into the stock housing with no modifications.. I don't want to drill holes or anything. lol

Thank you!
KuroNekko

motosonic wrote:I have a 2010 GTS and I've replaced my headlight bulbs way too many times and frankly I'm done with it. Can anyone recommend a specific LED KIT that will work on the Kizashi? I have 0 mechanical ability so, I might have to have someone with familiarity install for me.. but at this point, I'm willing because my headlights always burn out in the winter and I freeze my arse off trying to replace them. But I'm hoping to find one that's easy to install so I don't have to take that forsaken bumper off again.

Looking for something that'll fit into the stock housing with no modifications.. I don't want to drill holes or anything. lol

Thank you!
Just keep in mind that if you're keen on not drilling the dust cap to run the wires out for the LED drivers, you will be further limited in the selection of available kits. This is because unlike halogen bulbs, LEDs and HIDs have ballasts and controller components to control the bulbs. These are external modules and not part of the actual bulb. These may fit inside the Kizashi's rather large headlight, but securing them will be an issue. This is why most people drill holes in the dust caps, mount the drivers or ballasts outside the headlight, and have wires run back in.
Also, in the situation that you need to utilize capacitors to stabilize the bulb output (LEDs and HIDs are far more sensitive to voltage variations and pulsed width modulation than halogens), you certainly need to run the wires out of the headlight and ground the capacitors to the frame of the car.

I'm not trying to be a difficult person or a buzz kill to your goal, but I'm quite experienced with headlight modifications in the Kizashi. I've got HIDs for the low beams and LEDs for the high/DRLs. Both sets have in-line capacitors with grounds to the frame which stabilize the output and prevent flickering. The HIDs also have a relay connecting it directly to the battery. My point is that for maximum reliability, performance, and compatibility, some sacrifices may have to be made or you may end up with bigger headaches than with the original halogens.

While my LED kit application is for the high beam/DRLs, a set like mine should be compatible with the low beam in the projectors. However, they may not be as high performance as kits with larger emitters cooled by fans. I'm linking my write-up just so you know what to expect from a LED kit installation.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4127
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
motosonic

I'm totally with you man, and I get it. I'm just not 'technical' enough to attempt that stuff myself...and if it's between ruining something and just dealing with removing that stupid bumper every winter, I'll just stick with the bumper solution. lol But, that's what I'm trying to figure out.. There are sites that claim there are no modifications needed, but, is that 'really' true? When they say it 'fits Kizashi', did they really track one down and try it? lol you know what I'm saying?
I don't need anything exceptionally bright. I just need to see well on the road when I drive at night. So as long as it's at least as bright as the stock bulb, that works for me. lol
I'm just looking for something easy.. since Suzuki won't fix the problem. But, if that solution doesn't exist, then I guess I'm ok with the bumper solution. It sucks.. But, I like not having a car payment. and mine has low miles.. so, I'm planning to drive it till the wheels fall off. lol

I guess I'm kinda hoping that someone out there took a chance and bought a couple LED bulbs that not only fit but work/solve the burning out bulb problem.
KuroNekko

Well, drilling the caps really isn't ruining anything. In fact, I tried out a different LED kit that I ended up returning before my current one. It worked fine, but it wasn't too compatible with the Kizashi. While I did drill holes in the headlight caps for that first kit, I simply got rubber caps to put in the holes once I went back to halogens temporarily. The rubber caps sealed the headlight just fine. When I got my current kit a while later, I simply took off the rubber caps as I needed to run wires through the holes again.

Many kits will say they are "plug 'n play" which can be true with a caveat. Many cars don't have a sealed headlights or a design like the Kizashi's which runs a single harness to power everything in the headlight. Due to this design with the Kizashi, it makes modifications a little bit more difficult than say a Honda Accord which has separate harnesses and bulbs that are accessible from the engine bay. However, the big difference in installation between the two cars is pretty much drilling holes in the dust caps.

If the process of installing LEDs or HIDs looks like too much of a hassle, you can try long-life halogen bulbs. These are supposed to last significantly longer than standard bulbs but they compromise performance a little bit. They tend to be not as bright as standard and high performance halogen bulbs. However, I'm not sure if they will last longer given the Kizashi's tendency to blow out halogen bulbs faster than most other cars.

In all honesty though, I think a HID kit is a better solution than a LED kit for you. LEDs bulbs require some adjustment in the headlight while HIDs don't. LEDs also have heat sinks and fans that may cause fitment issues while HID bulbs more closely resemble halogens with a lower bulb profile. HIDs also tend to have more reliable compatibility in projectors designed for halogen bulbs like in the Kizashi's low beams. Basically, there is less to worry about, IMO.

Also, I should make it clear that HIDs and LEDs use a totally different type of technology than halogens to create light. Hence, these bulbs are not susceptible in the same way as halogens to bulb failure. However, they have their own vulnerabilities but getting a quality kit and additional components like capacitors can improve reliability and performance.

I installed the HID kit in the write-up linked below over three years ago. I'm still using the same bulbs and ballasts. Quality HID systems last significantly longer than even the best halogens and also output about twice the amount of light. I know my write-up is very detailed and looks very technical, but really, the "hardest" part IMO is removing and reinstalling the bumper which is something you're already used to doing. Once you remove the headlight, the installation of HIDs or LEDs becomes rather easy.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2861
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
motosonic

Thanks man. I did see your writeup and I'll be honest, while it's great, it's still about my comfort/tech-level. I'll wind up messing something up and have no headlights at all. lol. I do have long-life halogens in there now. I've been using them since day 1, but they expire after about a year of less than average use. I guess it just is what it is. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find a true plug and play kit.. otherwise I just have to leave it as is. I'd consider paying someone to do the conversion for me.. but I don't really want to spend that kind of money.. lol I don't really drive it a lot, so it's not the end of the world.
Thank you though!
cobymark

Another vote for HID kit. It is a lot better in terms of brightness and looks.
Woodie

motosonic wrote: I do have long-life halogens in there now. I've been using them since day 1, but they expire after about a year of less than average use.
I'd really like to know what's going on here. I was assuming that all the people who are having repeated failures were using the high output bulbs. Evidently that was a bad assumption. My 2010 with 40K miles has the original bulbs, what is different?

Do you drive on extremely bumpy roads at night?

Do you turn off the ignition, and then turn off the lights?

SamirD said that he thought turning off the ignition with the headlights still on blew the bulbs. I didn't think that was true but I've been wrong before, sometimes very publicly.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
motosonic

Woodie wrote:
motosonic wrote: I do have long-life halogens in there now. I've been using them since day 1, but they expire after about a year of less than average use.
I'd really like to know what's going on here. I was assuming that all the people who are having repeated failures were using the high output bulbs. Evidently that was a bad assumption. My 2010 with 40K miles has the original bulbs, what is different?

Do you drive on extremely bumpy roads at night?

Do you turn off the ignition, and then turn off the lights?

SamirD said that he thought turning off the ignition with the headlights still on blew the bulbs. I didn't think that was true but I've been wrong before, sometimes very publicly.
You and me both! I find the longest life halogens I can locally.. They're usually Phillips or Sylvania.. Are there some that might be better that perhaps I can order online for when they need changed again? I don't bother with those super white bulbs anymore.. Tried them once and they burned out in record time.. so, never again.

As for the roads.. no, not really any bumpier than normal. I saw some threads here and on some other sites where folks were complaining about short life from their Kizashi bulbs, so it seems to be a common problem.

As for HID vs LED.. I'm not interested in how they 'look'. This is purely functional for me. I'm looking for the easiest to install and easiest to maintain. It's sad that my better half just for rid of her 10 year old Toyota with 130k miles+ and it still had the factory headlight bulbs.. and yet I go through a pair per year. lol So, if I can grab a HID set and plug the suckers right in and drive away.. that's what I'm looking for... but as far as I can see, that doesn't exist.

To be honest, I'm not looking y
SamirD

I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm thinking about going this route since the PIAAs in the low beams burned out in under a year and within days of each other. Granted, both of them had at least 4-5 'turn the car off with the lights on' events that I'm sure had a lot to do with the shorter life. HID/LED kits have come a long way in the last few years, so I'm going to hunt for exactly what you're looking for.

So far, this is the only one that seems to fit the bill, but I need to verify the deeper headlight cover clearance:
http://www.morimotohid.com/led-lighting ... troke.html

These also seem to show promise, but I'll have to check dimensions:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Saber-40W-H7-LED-PR-W
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Saber ... 7-36W-PR-W
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Lynx-35W-H7-COB

It sure would be nice if it was as simple as this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/H7-5W-Cree-W
LPSISRL

I went with an HID kit that was a breeze to install and I'm quite pleased with the results.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)