Stripped oil drain plug

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
drew281

My oil drain plug is stripped and I've called several places to find out that no autopart store has anything on my car. Does anyone know of a compatible oil plug I can use on my kizashi. I know the gasket it 14inch on the plug, but maybe a Honda or Acura would work. Junk yards are hard to find.
bdleonard

If it is the plug that is stripped (not the pan), you need an M14-1.5 thread oil drain plug. I do my own oil changes, so I put on a Fumoto drain valve in place of the plug a few years ago. I've been quite happy with that setup.
DiggerDerrik

First option

If it is the threads in the pan
https://www.worldoemparts.com/worldsuzu ... gKR5vD_BwE
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
barra48

My drain plug got stripped out at 106,000 miles and they put an oversize plug in it that leaked. They torqued it down twice and the leak continued. I have purchased a new drain pan ($311.00 at an online source for Suzuki and Subaru) and an extra drain plug as well, $2.63. The replacement of the oil pan is 3.5 hours labor. I asked about the drain valve described in this post and got mixed responses, mostly how long it would take for the oil to drain during a change. This is the first "problem" that I have had with my Kizashi. It does what a car is supposed to do better than any other car i've owned, foreign and domestic. I hope I can anticipate maintenance needs.
DiggerDerrik

3.5 hours to swap out an oil pan seems excessive.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
KuroNekko

Fumoto oil drain valves are rather good and make oil changes much less messy. They are also rather tough. I had one in my old Impreza and it took a direct hit from a rock while I was offroading. The valve did get damaged but the oil leak stemmed from the valve pushing up against the oil pan, fracturing it. The valve wasn't the thing leaking. I had to replace the oil pan and was going to do it myself until I noticed that the cross member was in the way of a removal. I then just let the dealership take care of it. After that, I got some beefy rally skid plates and didn't go back to using a Fumoto valve.

I think for cars like the Kizashi, the use of a valve is safer as the oil pan doesn't hang as low as the Impreza I had. Also, the Kizashi comes with a splash shield, protecting some parts from direct hits. That being said, a Fumoto valve is really just a convenience item and a standard drain plug stripping the pan isn't likely if you're careful not to over-tighten drain plugs and always use a washer. It's just hard to control for if others are doing the work. I also use synthetic motor oil and oil changes come about to only twice a year. In that regard, a Fumoto valve isn't as useful as a vehicle needing more frequent oil changes though it would make the process easier and cleaner. I may get one again just for the convenience of it.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
barra48

Where do they sell them and what do they cost? I use synthetic oil and change every three thousand miles. What oil change interval do you recommend. My Kizashi is a base model, front wheel drive, six speed manual.
KuroNekko

barra48 wrote:Where do they sell them and what do they cost? I use synthetic oil and change every three thousand miles. What oil change interval do you recommend. My Kizashi is a base model, front wheel drive, six speed manual.
Online and they range from $25 to $30. The one for the Kizashi is the F-106 series.
You're throwing away money changing any oil at 3,000 miles. That interval is from decades ago and doesn't really apply to today's engines other than for extreme use. Even for conventional oil, I believe the Suzuki owner's manual calls for oil changes at every 7,500 miles. I change my oil every 7,500 miles using full synthetic motor oil.
LPSISRL

What he said... ^
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

An update on the topic:

Shortly after last posting on this thread, I ordered a Fumoto valve for the Kizashi but it wasn't until recently that I changed my oil and installed the valve.
The last oil change was a good example of why these valves make things easier: the drain bolt was difficult to remove and when it came off, I accidentally dropped it into the oil collection pan. The oil then rushed out and made a mess. I also had to fetch the drain plug from inside the collection pan. If only there was a better way about this... And that's when I installed the Fumoto valve. The process will be much easier now that a lever controls the flow of the used oil.

What's also neat about it for the Kizashi is how it's orientated. Unlike my old Impreza where the oil drain hole, therefore the valve, was angled straight downward (lowering ground clearance for the valve), the Kizashi's drain hole is angled backward. Thus, when the valve is installed, it doesn't risk getting hit directly by road debris or even touch the splash shield.

The part number I got was F-106 and it fit the Kizashi perfectly. When properly tightened, the valve's lever is at the topside. To release the oil, I simply have to lift and pull the lever towards the back which rotates the check ball to release via the hole in it. This way, it's very easy to control not only the flow rate of the oil but also the amount if needed.

While oil changes aren't such a frequent thing with the use of synthetic oil and longer change intervals, it still makes the process a lot easier and less messy. Given I plan to keep the Kizashi for a long time, I figured it was worth it.
KIMG2162 resize.jpg
KIMG2162 resize.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 10383 times
KIMG2163.JPG
KIMG2163.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 10383 times
KIMG2165 resize.jpg
KIMG2165 resize.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 10383 times