timing belt replacement intervals

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Juan

I do all the maintenance on my cars myself. I have done nothing else - this car is very reliable. The Nissan dealer which sold Suzuki's and still service them is doing the repairs under warrantee. Very happy about this, I did not get any push back at all.
Juan

nothing done to the car.... I personally do all the maintenance. This is very strange.
Sasha-CR

I disagree that most modern cars come with a timing chain. I have several mechanic friends who regularly change timing belts in all sorts of vehicles.

Example of a recent mishap: my friend has a 2014 Mitsubishi L200 (turbo Diesel pickup). Timing belt suddenly failed and caused major engine damage..you could see it broke the cover when it failed.

It surprised me to see a belt used in a diesel engine.. and a truck at that.

Several Toyotas until 2009 used belts .. but they seem to use chains now. But other brands still use belts.. Honorable mention is the high power wrx and sti Subarus..
KuroNekko

Sasha-CR wrote:I disagree that most modern cars come with a timing chain. I have several mechanic friends who regularly change timing belts in all sorts of vehicles.

Example of a recent mishap: my friend has a 2014 Mitsubishi L200 (turbo Diesel pickup). Timing belt suddenly failed and caused major engine damage..you could see it broke the cover when it failed.

It surprised me to see a belt used in a diesel engine.. and a truck at that.

Several Toyotas until 2009 used belts .. but they seem to use chains now. But other brands still use belts.. Honorable mention is the high power wrx and sti Subarus..
It depends on the car. I know that the V6 in Hondas like the Ridgeline, Pilot, and Passport uses a timing belt instead of a timing chain. It requires replacement every 100,000 miles.

I'm personally quite grateful the engine in the Kizashi uses a timing chain.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: I'm personally quite grateful the engine in the Kizashi uses a timing chain.
Ditto...any vehicle with a side-ways engine should have a chain.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Woodie

Sideways doesn't really have much to do with it, other than the difficulty of replacing it. The difference is if the engine is interference or not. The Suzuki G engine used in the Swift/Metro is not interference, if the timing belt snaps it just shuts the engine off. Lots of folks carry a spare and have changed it on the side of the road and carried on. And the 95 and newer version lasts 100K miles, so it's not that big a deal to change it around that mileage. You're close to needing a water pump anyway.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

Woodie wrote: other than the difficulty of replacing it.
IMHO that's the why for a DIYer.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)