timing belt replacement intervals

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
barra48

I have a 2013 Kizashi manual transmission with 107,000 miles on it. I have checked the owner's manual for replacement of the timing belt and found no information. Is there an interval at which it should be inspected/replaced? I have no problems with the car or its components. I want to replace things before they break by following recommended service intervals. Suggestions?
DiggerDerrik

It has a timing chain. No preventative maintenance replacement needed.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
DiggerDerrik

Forgot to mention if you take your oil filler cap off you can see the chain.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
barra48

Thank you.
courtney.sprague

Are these interference or non-interference engines? I spoke with the dealership who said not to change the chain until it is slack, however, I don’t want to risk it messing up valves if it happens to go.
KuroNekko

courtney.sprague wrote:Are these interference or non-interference engines? I spoke with the dealership who said not to change the chain until it is slack, however, I don’t want to risk it messing up valves if it happens to go.
I wasn't sure so I did some research. Nothing on the web so I reviewed the Service Manual for the Kizashi's J24B engine for a definitive answer. It has an interference engine. There was even a specific warning regarding this for when the engine is being serviced with the timing chain removed.
That being said, the engine has a timing chain, not a timing belt. You can even see it when you remove the oil cap. Timing chains are designed to last the service life of the engine and have automatic tensioners. They really just don't wear and snap like timing belts do with age. Hence, timing belts have a scheduled replacement interval but timing chains don't. You only replace a timing chain if there is a problem or are in very high mileage so unless your engine has over 250,000 miles, you probably don't need to worry about the timing chain. It will likely outlast your Kizashi.

The best way to care for your timing chain is to be fastidious about the motor oil. After all, the motor oil directly lubricates the timing chain (you literally pour oil directly on to it for the J24B engine when refilling oil). The use of quality (preferably synthetic) motor oil, high quality oil filters, and a reasonable oil change interval will certainly keep your timing chain in good condition to likely outlast your need for the Kizashi.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko said it best. One of the best features of the Kizashi is the timing chain. The 1st and 2nd generation Nissan Altimas also have timing chains in their KA24DE engines. And even with over 200k those engines in all sort of shapes and forms--turbo, nitrous, NA builds in pickups and drift cars has never had a timing chain issue that wasn't related to something else (typically the hydraulic timing chain tensioner would fail causing some slack). The timing chain is a staple in the heart of an engine built to last, and the Kizashi has it. 8-)
Tom Kizzie

luckly almost every modern car has a chain these days. The tensioners.... We had our grand vitara engine replaced due to something which started with the chain tensioners (grand vitara 2007 J20 103kw). But for the other suzukies i dont worry
kizashi 6mt black
Juan

Well, I agree with everything you guys said, however, my 2012 SLS with 85K is currently at the dealer waiting for repairs. Apparently the timing is off and the car wont run. About a month ago the car suddenly started running very rough at idle - it would not stay running and Code P0016 came up. I'm very handy with cars and can do just about everything. After replacing both cam and crank sensors with no luck I took the car to the dealer in hopes that the warrantee is still valid (7 year/100k). The dealer came back and said that I need to replace the timing chain and tensioners. I'm very surprised. Hope is covered.
SamirD

Super strange. A timing chain doesn't just jump timing like that.

Did you recently have any other type of service done? (even as simple as an oil change)