Valve Lash according to maintenance schedule F

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
mgp987

Hi everyone,
I have a question i want your opinion on.
My 2012 has reached 100K. I was tossing around the idea of doing the schedule service myself. I found the schedule here: https://www.suzuki.ca/auto/Kizashi_11-1 ... Severe.pdf
Notice schedule F lists 'Inspect valve lash (clearance)'. I think I could manage all the checks but that. I just do not have the desire to pull the valve cover off. Has any one else done that, or even needed to have them checked?
And do the service centers even bother to go that far into the engine?
Thanks
DiggerDerrik

Sounds like a way to make the now nonexistent Suzuki dealerships money. I saw that in the book too but haven’t done it and won’t have it done. 122k on my 2010 GTS. She still runs like the day I picked her up 7 years ago. That’s my 2 cents.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
KuroNekko

The maintenance guide calls for an inspection about every 100,000 km or ~ 60,000 miles. Checking them isn't too hard but it's a hassle to remove the valve cover after making sure the crankshaft pulley is at TDC. Removing the cover means you need a new gasket and sealant. Furthermore, all you can do is "check" them. "Adjustment" is rather misleading because it actually requires the removal and replacement of the tappets, according to the Suzuki Kizashi Service Manual. This requires more work as the camshafts need to come out and the tappets measured with a micrometer. This is because the J24B engine in the Kizashi uses solid lifters instead of hydraulic lifters.

I find this all a hassle myself and don't really want to worry about it until there is a reason to. I may revisit this issue at a higher mileage but likely just get them checked by a Suzuki Service Dealer when it's time to replace the clutch. I won't be doing that myself so it would be an opportunity to have a pro check the valve lash too.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

All the zuks I've owned since new, except one, none of them has ever had a single engine issue...ever. None ever leaked oil from anywhere either. None of the other domestic vehicles we've owned, since new or used, share that distinction. I inspected our 86 Samurai's carb'd 1.3l 8V 4-cyl lash at 50k, no issue. Never checked it again. Checked the 1992 EFI 1.6l 16V 4-cyl Sidekick's at 50k, and again, no issue. Did my '91 EFI Samurai when I bought it 3rd hand at 87k, same 8V engine as the 86 but different head/cam, no issues. Didn't do the 2008 SX4, son had totaled that one. No matter, I'd decided I wasn't going to bother. Engine was running well and sounding normal. No plans to open up the Kiz either. At about 72k, the engine runs perfect and sounds the same as the day I bought it. Wife's 2011 SX4 same story. At 38k or so, sounds good, runs good so no plans to open it up either. Neither of our DD zuks valve covers leak any oil and that's about the only thing that'll happen by opening them up IMHO.

Japanese built zuk engines are the epitome or reliability. I sure am going to miss them. My 91 Sami is 26 years old and still sporting the original timing belt, valve lash adjustment (best I know), clutch, t-stat, water pump and starter. Doesn't use oil. And believe me when I say I beat on it. It knows what the rev limiter feels like. The only thing I've replaced engine-wise in that thing, besides the oil and air filters, is the distributor housing's O-rings that were dry, brittle and leaking oil. The front main seal needs replaced, it's showing oil seepage and is probably brittle as well by now. The 2014 Heep, on the other hand, is starting to develop a tick from the right bank with only 22k on the clock and it gets babied for the most part. Go figure, it's already out of warranty. While not an engine issue, I was surprised that the K's t-case output seal had leaked and was leaving oil on the under body panel. That's the first oil leak of any kind I've experienced in a zuk. It was covered and replaced under drive-train warranty.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
ProMarinero

I did the valve check. None were out of spec. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, no gasket replacement is needed for the valve cover if your not ham-handed. Scrape off the old RTV, apply as directed and you're good.
kizashiwanter

mgp987 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 pm My 2012 has reached 100K. I was tossing around the idea of doing the schedule service myself. I found the schedule here: https://www.suzuki.ca/auto/Kizashi_11-1 ... Severe.pdf
it looks like this link is no longer available. Do you have this file somewhere?