Fuel level sensor

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
hRich85

Hi, today my engine light came on and my fuel meter stops working (it shows that the tank is empty). After scanning i got the code p0463 ( Fuel level sensor). Do anyone know how i can reach the sensor? In the trunk and the back seats i can not see where the fuel pump is located. :roll:

Car information: kizashi SLS 2012
KuroNekko

My research is indicating that there are possibly two fuel level sensors. One is located next to the fuel pump and the other in another location also accessible from the top of the fuel tank. The two sensors are Item #20 and #21 in the diagram below.

The diagram is from this site:
https://monsterfactoryparts.com/parts/2 ... am=1470510

It's probably best to determine exactly which sensor has failed with that error code.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

Okay, the service manual is simply horrid (or I'm too dumb to read it, and I doubt that, I've been troubleshooting using service manuals and wiring diagrams for 40 years). Can't find P0463 in there. Part # 21 is for AWD only, so if you don't have AWD that simplifies things a bit. They're hooked up in series if you have both so checking the wiring going into the tank will tell you if the problem is in the tank (you don't want that) or in the wiring of the car. The wiring goes directly to the instrument panel. There's a connector called R151 which is probably under the back seat, it has a blk/yel wire which should be ground and a yel/red wire which is the fuel level info coming out of the tank. If you unplug that connector and check the resistance across those two wires you should get a resistance that varies with fuel level. If you do, then both sensors are okay, the problem lies between there and the gauge. There's another connector called L374 somewhere between there and the panel.

L374 left side of dash, blue 32 pin
R151 hooks into L389 but I can't find any other location info about those two. Pretty sure they're under the rear seat.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
hRich85

Thanks for the replies. One question do i need to remove the fuel tank so i can reach to the sensors? In most cars the fueltank can be reach in the backseats without removing it. It looks like this will be a lot of work :(
Woodie

Every reference in the service manual regarding any of these components starts with "remove fuel tank assembly". That's why I was urging you to figure out if the problem is indeed in the tank, or if it is (much more likely) in the wiring between the tank and the gauge.

Some cars have a trap door under the seat for such a purpose but I've never owned one that did, out of about thirty cars.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

The act (labor involved) of dropping and reinstalling a fuel tank alone is an expensive proposition. add to that the parts costs (fuel pump, level sender, etc.). Problem is there's several connections, electrical and tubing, on top of a tank that can't be accessed w/o dropping the tank in many vehicles. That said, if the sender signals can be tested elsewhere, as mentioned in post #3, it will certainly provide info supporting the need for an expensive tank removal, or not, to further diagnose.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)