Awd heat error in 2wd

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
adam.keener

Sorry if this has been posted. Just got a 2012 s model and yesterday coming home in 2wd i got an awd heat high error saying it was disabled

Is this a simple fix i should check something or any idea what i should do? Thanks all :?:
Ronzuki

That's a new one to hear about. I've heard tales of the AWD not functioning on here and the SX4 forum. As mentioned in various other threads, the drive shaft running the length of the car from the transfer case (which is attached to the CVT)to the viscous coupler (attached to the rear diff's input pinion) is ALWAYS rotating when the car is driving regardless of whether or not the AWD is on. Activating the AWD, among other things, enables the control system to begin modulating the viscous couple electrically. which is what heats up.

The fact that you're having heat issues and the AWD is off is interesting. I'd have to guess at one of 3 things:

First, the AWD mode is not off as you think it is. Regardless, even if it isn't OFF, you shouldn't be getting the over-heat alarm under normal driving conditions. I drive with the AWD on on dry groud frequently and have not had issue.

Second, the thermal sensor and or wiring for the viscous coupler
is damaged. Drive over anything lately that may have come in contact with the underside of the vehicle and damage the wiring to the coupler?

Lastly, the viscous coupler itself is damaged internally (sensor, wiring, clutch plates, loss of viscous fluid). Any wet spots, drips or moisture around the viscous coupler? Unfortunately, my suspicion is the coupler itself has deteriorated. They do go bad and fail.

Since you've just acquired the vehicle, used, likely know way for you to know what conditions the vehicle was subjected to. How many miles on the car? Less than 100k miles and Suzuki should cover it under drive train warranty. What part of the country are you from? Did you buy private or from a dealer of some sort?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
adam.keener

Ive only had it 8 days but havent driven over anything that im aware of. It has 83k miles on it.

Ill start with the used dealer tomorrow and see what they say. They give a 45 day 9000 mile warranty on powertrain too so sounds like thats the best route

Thank you
Ronzuki

You could run it past the selling used dealer and let them know there's a problem and MAYBE have them LOOK underneath to see if there's anything obvious going on, like physical damage (which Suzuki's warranty won't cover)...but I wouldn't let them touch anything just yet beyond that, unless, they are an authorized Suzuki Service Center. They are not going to have the tools or access to Suzuki's warranty repair and claims history knowledge, nor factory parts if needed. Suzuki's warranty trumps the dealers where you purchased. An AWD issue would definitely be something that would be covered under the factory power train warranty. Call the nearest Suzuki Service center to you FIRST and give them your VIN so they can confirm via their database to see if your car is still covered under the 7year/100k mile power train warranty. AFAIK it should be. You have your purchasing dealer mess with it first and they screw it up, Suzuki won't clean up after their mass and will deny you.

Link to find service center: http://www.suzukiauto.com/Service%20Provider.aspx

You could, and probably should, open a case # with ASMC in
Brea, CA 92822

Quality and reliability of many ex-dealer/service centers are spotty at best since Suzuki left the country. Some are good many are not just depends on where you are. If 'corporate' is involved they seem to feel better about warranty work on the cars IMHO.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)