Transmission won't engage

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
vratnik

So they simply told the transmission is bad, so I have to either pay 11000€ to REPLACE the entire transmission or they can remove the transmission and send it to other nearby service that is specialized in transmissions, to have a look at it. They also made these 2 pictures of the transmission.
ImageImage
The other service may diagnose it and decide whether it's viable to repair and what parts have to be replaced. If they repair the transmission successfully, I will need to pay at least 2000€ to them.
Now I need to decide what to do next.
old tech

Great pictures. The filter screen is clogged with teflon from the primary pulley sealing ring. The steel peelings is from primary balls and piston. From what I see, You will need Primary pulley asm, belt, new flow control valve and oring at the torque converter. Parts are$400 plus shipping .Package would weight 50lbs. Primary would be converted to long pin and ready to install.
vratnik

That is some deep knowledge you seem to have in transmissions. Thank you very much for this info. I however am located in Europe so the logistics is a problem, also parts here are much more expensive than in the US. The transmission-specialized service here estimated the price of parts at about 1500€. Or I can find a used transmission and have it just replaced.
old tech

If you think that shipping would be too much on a 50 pound package then maybe here is an alternative. You could probably get a Nissan Sentra transmission from a 2 L Cvt , gut that transmission and use it for parts. 2010 to 2012 Nissan Sentra has the same exact internals. The 2008 and 9 Sentra can be used but the gear ratios are different. I would think that getting a used Kizashi transmission there or anywhere would be expensive and quite risky ordeal. The transmission in its original form is a bit overloaded on the primary. The Sentra rarely fails in that respect. It is much lighter . Here the Sentra rust out badly leaving nice parts donors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vratnik

I am sending the car to the transmission-service. They told they can for sure repair the transmission, they will replace what will be necessary and clean/renew the rest. They will then drive it for a while, then they open check the transmission again for any new debris or so, to determine whether any more parts need to be replaced. It will take a month until finish and it will cost me €€€€€€€€€€. They give 1 year warranty.
old tech

I wished I had customers like you. Patience here is in short supply. The primary pulley must be dismantled sometimes to see the damage and is often overlooked if it’s there first JF011E.. I’ve had transmissions from transmission shops a couple times where the damage wasn’t caught on the original tear down . Your damage is definitely in the primary pulley and you will need the assembly which is only available used or refurbished as suppliers like to call it. This is the opportune time to convert this weak spot from ball toImage
6m x 35mm pin and omit circlip. This upgrade is way stronger but must be fitted properly.

vratnik

Are you talking about replacing these balls in this video: https://youtu.be/vlKYNL_wdd8?t=1764
Thank you for this valuable information. I will forward it to them, just to be sure.
old tech

Yes. Your primary pulley only has six balls , two per flute. It’s just not heavy enough. I source my pins from eBay and are bearing steel pins. Here’s a picture of what I normally find when this transmission comes to a stopImage
This damage can be fixed quite easily going through the back of the transmission. You just have to know how to get it all back in there. The rest of the transmission holds up very nicely with the exception of the flow control valve. If the fluid has been kept nice and clean and the miles are 150,000 or less the flow control valve will be pretty nice and not necessary to go after. It lives in the front of the transmission in the pump.

vratnik

It's done. They revamped the transmission and did 2 test drives before releasing the car. After I received it I've already driven ~1000km with it, no signs of issues.
- Pulley set with chain - repaired ..........723,00
- O/H kit with pistons......................365,32
- Filter internal (received wrong part so they cleaned/flushed the original).................25,00
- Torque converter repaired................580,00
- Oil pump repaired....................264,00
- Valve body assy repaired.........................655,00
- ATF CVT 10L..................120,00
- Friction kit.....................50,40
- Cooler cleaner ...............36,00
- shipping costs 100-150€
- work ................................800,00
Paid 3500€ upon agreement. Pretty massive amount for a car repair.
They put the pins instead of balls by default. Actually there were already pins included in the kit they received (they showed me).
They give 1 year warranty. Let's hope it will last a few years more.
SAEED_KIZZY

Congrats vratnik and thanks for sharing.