Finally Solved!!!!! Steering lock error no start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Woodie

JorgeMontoya wrote:I removed the electrical circuit board and replaced it with the one that originally came with my vehicle because the key FOB and this circuit board go together.
Are you saying that after replacing this module (without going inside as you did) it would need to be reprogrammed to match my car and fob? I read something in the service manual that vaguely hinted at that, but it says nothing in the actual replacement procedure.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
BLyons

No, it definitely does not. Mine was replaced by a local shop with no means to program anything for Suzuki.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

All that just to eliminate a simple good old fashioned key....sheesh. I sure do miss the dash mounted ignition switches that my old Chevelle and Impala had.

So now that you went through the trouble to swap the electronics out of the dead lock, any indications or idea as to what exactly the failure point with the unit is?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Astover1

Thank you for posting this work around! My 2010 has been getting the “steering lock” error for a few months and the dealer quoted $598 for replacement of the steering wheel lock module. So I’m using the work around until I decide if I want to get it fixed. The only problem I have is forgetting to turn off the headlights lol. With the door sensor unplugged there’s no warning bell.
Vitra

My kizashi 2011 gets the same issue after changing the car battery. I called dealer and said most likely your fob battery low. Once I changed the Fob battery and will work for around 6 months and Èsteering lock error message will come out again.
I saw from Kizashi club and have 2 suggestions to solve the problem.
1.) unscrew the button from the door frame. (Is this way still working since Feb 2018?)
2.) get the new steering Lock.

Which way is better? Any other suggestions.
KuroNekko

Vitra wrote:My kizashi 2011 gets the same issue after changing the car battery. I called dealer and said most likely your fob battery low. Once I changed the Fob battery and will work for around 6 months and Èsteering lock error message will come out again.
I saw from Kizashi club and have 2 suggestions to solve the problem.
1.) unscrew the button from the door frame. (Is this way still working since Feb 2018?)
2.) get the new steering Lock.

Which way is better? Any other suggestions.
You want to first be absolutely sure that it's not your fob battery that's the issue. Did you recently replace the battery in it again and the problem is still persisting? Keep in mind the steering lock issue isn't related to either the car battery or fob battery as it's really a matter of mechanical components and their lack of lubrication. Your symptoms seem to suggest you have a battery issue.

After you have determined that it is in fact the steering wheel lock at fault, consider that the the door frame "hack" isn't a fix but more a bypass. It's a hack that prevents the steering lock from engaging. Essentially, it can't be a problem if it's prevented from interfering in the first place. While it works for the purpose of preventing the problem, you lose the benefit of a locked steering wheel for vehicle security.
In comparison, getting a new steering lock is actually a fix for the problem rather than a bypass hack. That's the difference.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

I doubt very much that it's has anything to do with your keyfob battery. I got the distinct impression that mine was more likely to do it when it was cold. It's possible that yours is just resuming it's naughty ways now that the weather has turned, leaving the impression that the battery worked for six months. It's certainly worth a $3 battery before you get a $250 component replaced, I've been wrong numerous times. LOL

As KuroNekko said, the door switch is a BandAid solution. You're going to lose your interior lights and the chimes that warn you that you left your lights on.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Vitra

I called the body shop yesterday and explain to him what message come out from my car. He said my car has no problem at all, most of the Japanese Cars have the same issued and not only Kizashi. Suzuki should re call to fix it .
KuroNekko

Vitra wrote:I called the body shop yesterday and explain to him what message come out from my car. He said my car has no problem at all, most of the Japanese Cars have the same issued and not only Kizashi. Suzuki should re call to fix it .
It likely won't be subject to a recall though it's a problem. Also, it's not prevalent in all Japanese cars but rather the ones that used the same component supplier which are namely Nissan and Infiniti other than Suzuki. This steering lock issue is well documented with Nissan models.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Yanfuwah

Have the same problem, it started after rat damage, so I’m assuming that’s a coincidence. No Suzuki dealer in North America now, so it’s been with the local ‘trusted Suzuki partner’ three times in the past 5 weeks, been without it for 4 of those weeks. Dealer says he can’t find the fault, but judging by the limited mileage he hasn’t tried very hard. So I’m getting rid of it, will never buy a Suzuki anything again.