Reusing oil filter: specific scenario!

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
dmitche

So i got my oil changed 2k out of 5k miles ago. But i realized my car is over 75k miles and i have been using the regular oil for the oil changes the past few times. Well i want to switch the oil out for high mileage oil. But my question is: since the filter is fairly used would it be ok to just switch the oil and the filter until i reach the 5k interval then change the oil again? Or should i get a filter?
KuroNekko

You really don't need to worry about doing anything until your next oil change at the time it's due. It's not like 75,000 miles is some magic number at which engines deteriorate and need high mileage oil. That mileage is simply a suggestion by motor oil manufacturers. In my opinion, it's way too early for needing anything like high mileage oil as today's engines are built with much higher tolerances than engines of the past that wore out more quickly. I'd say the "high mileage" today is 150,000 miles.

Keep in mind that High Mileage oil simply has some additives to essentially help prevent older seals from leaking and is generally a bit thicker for the rated viscosity. It basically helps with old engine issues like leaking seals and burning off oil over time. Some formulas are semi-synthetic like Valvoline's MaxLife while others are based on conventional oil. I've personally had good experience with Valvoline's MaxLife in my former Subaru Impreza that drove with no internal engine issues past 200,000 miles. It really did help with some leaky seals.

Personally, for the Kizashi at your mileage (mine is at 75,000 miles now too) I think using full synthetic is the way to go. It best protects the engine from wear and also extends your oil change interval. From wear resistance, heat resistance, cleanliness, to optimal lubrication in varying temperature ranges, it's the superior motor oil to use in really just about any mileage. When you read about personal vehicles that go into crazy high mileage like over 500,000 miles, it's common that the owner used a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 for the entire time they've had it.

There is a myth that synthetics cause leaks in high mileage engines but that was from literally decades ago when synthetics first hit the market and synthetic formulas have evolved since to not cause those issues. They are now suitable in just about any engine (except for rotaries) and some brands like Mobil 1 even offer High Mileage Full Synthetic formulas.

If you want to stick with your plan to change the type of oil, then just wait until your next oil change to replace both the oil and the filter together. There is really no rush to this sort of stuff. After all, the main problem regarding motor oil is not really the brand, type, or weight but the fact that some people ignore oil changes when they are due.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)