Leave, replace or resurface the rotors

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LPSISRL

When working on the Kizashi this weekend I checked the brake pads. Yup, pretty near time to replace them. Not bad to get over 100K on a set of pads. I already have another set of Okebonos for both the front and rear. I've almost always replaced the rotors when doing brakes. On a couple of occasions I've had them turned. The ones on the car right are smooth with no ridges except for a very small rust ridge on the edge that I have not yet measured. So what are your thoughts on using the same rotors as is. I live in SE Virginia where the majority of my driving is on flat land. I really don't heat the brakes up a lot and the climate here is very friendly towards rust meaning I don't have a problem with rust. New rotors run anywhere from $20 to $60 per depending of front, rear, vented, slotted, etc. :?:

So, opinions welcome here.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
WESHOOT2

If you drive fast and need big whoa get new rotors; if not just measure and maybe turn....
Speed_Racer

I prefer to replace them every time I put on new pads. It's a cheap way to get quiet, smooth braking again. I've also heard modern rotors don't have a lot of leeway for turning compared to how they used to, but I don't know how true that is.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

At 100,000 miles, I'd replace them. I too have read that turning rotors is not really popular these days for a number of reasons. The first being that brake pads are now better than ever but can wear out a rotor faster. Basically, rotors have shorter lifespans than in the past due to the more effective brake pad materials being used today. As a result, rotors more often get replaced than turned these days, even by pros.

The other reason that makes the most sense to me is the economics of it in that it's often cheaper to just replace. This is especially true if you do the work yourself because the cost of having a rotor turned by a pro (including labor costs to remove it) often exceeds the cost of a brand new rotor. Basically, for the DIYer, it's often simply more convenient and cheaper to get new rotors if they need servicing. I've also read that slotted and drilled rotors can't be turned or at least easily.

Ever since I started doing brake work myself, I've ditched the idea of getting rotors turned after realizing it's a major hassle and getting new rotors was actually easier and cheaper. In my experience, it seems that pros make a lot of money working on brakes given the parts are actually cheap, but they take a lot of the cost in labor.

As for when to replace rotors, it depends on their condition and mileage for me. I try to have them last two sets of brake pads before replacement but it depends on how long those pads lasted. At 100,000 miles, I'd replace everything on all four corners.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Replace. Most rotors since the early-mid 90s were never meant to be cut. Even on light-duty trucks. Not enough metal...saves weight and ups fuel economy. Maintenance is maintenance.
There should be min thickness specs stamped/etched on the rotors. If not, that info is likely in the FSM. At 100k, I'd replace everything on my K. Whenever I do mine, everything's getting replaced. I'd replaced just the pads on an '01 Olds Alero we had a couple times (too cheap and lazy). They didn't last long at all, however, that thing was notorious for front inner pad wear regardless. Rear rotors would just turn to crap from moisture and rust. Replaced those rotors eveytime I did the pads because of how poor their condition was.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
n8dogg

Due to the cost to resurface rotors, it often makes more sense to buy new ones unless you work hard to find an affordable machine shop as I usually do. But when it came time to due the rear rotors on the Kiz, there just wasn't enough thickness on the rotors to be able to resurface them and still be within spec.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
DiggerDerrik

I hesitate to say this cause threads are always easier to aid in decision making when they point to one sole answer. Also hesitate for safety. My car always has just me in it. It’s also been totaled and I bought it back. So I don’t really spend money on it. I replaced my pads around 120k miles. The rotors looked like they had 10k miles on them so I slapped new metallic pads on, cleaned the rotors and greased the calipers. Then called it good. 10k miles since they’re quiet as new and brake fine.

I’m not suggesting you do this. I don’t know how you drive or what your rotors really look like. I’m just letting you know what I did cause I was too cheap to spend the $200+ on rotors.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7