rear brake rotors

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
scowfoot

Just finished installing new rear pads and rotors on my 2012 Kizashi but was curious why there were no screws to attached the rotor to the hub as on many other vehicles. Obviously the installed wheel holds it all in place but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Even the maintenance manual didn't indicate these screw.
bdleonard

Nope, no screws on the Kizashi rotors. They are only there (when used) to speed assembly during manufacturing. The clamping force of the lugs is what holds the wheel and rotor firmly in place. I know many Honda owners who curse their presence, and cross their fingers that they won't need to drill them out.
KuroNekko

I have changed brakes on numerous different vehicles including VWs, Chevys, Mazdas, Subarus, and Suzukis and none have had screws holding rotors to hubs. I think only a few brands have these to possibly prevent rotor warping from when wheels are attached and torqued down incorrectly, causing the rotor to be mounted off-balance.

Many rotors, including the Kizashi's OE rotors, have threaded holes in them for an opposite purpose. These are used with threaded bolts to actually help remove rotors from hubs if they are stuck on from corrosion. It's better than pounding them off which risks damaging the rotor if one plans to reuse them. The use of the threaded holes for rotor removal is actually noted in the Kizashi's service manual and worked for me when I needed to remove the rotors.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.18 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
scowfoot

Thanks guys. It's what I thought but just wanted to be sure. My first attempt and it seemed to work well.
Woodie

I don't remember ever seeing a rotor without those countersunk screws. As KuroNekko said, they're often rusted into place and a pain to get out.

Always wondered why they bothered with them. Maybe to hold the rotors in place on the assembly line until the calipers get installed, but two of them that tight seems a little excessive.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I've never owned a vehicle that HAD any screw/bolts holding rotors in place. None of the GMs we've owned had them. All my zuks had/have the M8 threaded holes for removal. Have used them on the Samurai plenty of times. Haven't changed rotors on any new zuks ever (yet) that I can recall.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)