Mildew/Moldy Odor

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LPSISRL

So I got in the Kizashi a couple of days ago and there was a distinct mold smell. :shock: We've had a LOT of rain her the past couple of weeks and it took a week of no rain for the smell to appear. No wet spots on the carpet or leaks were noted during the sometimes torrential downpours. But here's what I did find... While looking for the A/C evaporator drain tube, I came across a rubber grommet seal that a wire bundle passes through on the passenger side about a third of the way up the firewall. It's about 2" in diameter. You non-Americans will have to figure out the metric on that. (I'll try to post pics but that's another story) The grommet had come out for some reason. It's too far up, in my opinion, for road debris to have knocked it off so I'm stumped on how it came off. There was sound insulation immediately on the other side of the hole but I could not determine if it was wet. It should have been soaked considering the location and water being splashed up during rain. It was not easy to put back in place but I did manage to get it back into place.

Also, the A/C drain line is extremely difficult to find, even with the service manual pictures. You can't really see it unless you get right underneath it as is does not stick down and the part of the hose where the water exits is flattened out. The hose also has a pretty good bend in it. It's too flexible to insert anything to clean it out. At least I have not figured out a way. Has anyone successfully cleaned out the A/C drain line?

Hopefully the smell will go away in a few days as I can't find the source of it inside the car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11f6yzf ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H3OfWW ... sp=sharing
Last edited by LPSISRL on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Ronzuki

:lol: It's pretty obvious where the Heep's musty stink was coming from ...poor bastard that bought the thing with all the rain we've had this summer!
53400452 (Large).JPG
53400452 (Large).JPG (280.53 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
I have a long flexible snake-brush I picked up at Wally World years ago I jam through the A/C drain thing every so often when it's up on ramps for oil change. Usually pushes-in/pulls-out some gunk. Due for an oil change and you're reminding me I should do it again. We've had a crap ton of rain here this summer, nearing 40" I think they're saying, and no funky smells. Mine sits outside in the summer months through all of it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

Have you been able to do it on your Kizashi? The outlet on mine is so flexible and narrow I can't even shove my finger up it.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)