Can anybody tell me what this is under my kizashi and if this is a problem? (pics included)

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
ipaqxman

So today my underbody scraped some garbage people left out on the road. Heard something so I got on the floor and looked after I got home. There was something HANGING off the exhaust pipe (?) midline of the car near the FRONT. It looks like the remaining of some part. Can anyone tell me what it is and what I need to do about it? Excuse me with my lack of technical skills and I have never worked on the underside of the car. Thanks,

From the side

From the front
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
BLyons

Heat shield. It goes over the chunk of exhaust closer to the front of the car. I would guess that most of ours look like that by now.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
KuroNekko

Your images don't appear for me.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ipaqxman

Hey blackcat. Good to see that you are still around. Every half a year I use ur sticky guide to change the front lights.
Not sure why but seems the images only show up with pc browsers but not on a mobile device.

But yes like Blyons said it does look like to be a heat shield after more googling. And it seems when compare to those youtube videos that exhibit the underbody of the kizashi, it has broken off and slipped BACKWARD a little and is no longer wrapping the part where the exhaust pipe seems to be very close to adjacent components under the engine in the front. Is that going to be a problem? Will the high heat from the exhaust pipe damage the surrounding engine components in time?
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

Sounds like you are describing the steel mesh around the flex pipe. If so, it's nothing to be too concerned about. It's a protective cover for the part of the exhaust pipe that bends in bellows. Unfortunately, that part hangs low on the Kizashi and gets hit by debris and rocks, causing the steel mesh to get ripped back. I had to fix mine too and the front of the mesh is now held in place by a hose clamp. I wish the Kizashi used a skid plate-like armor design to protect it like my old Impreza.

A heat shield is more up by the firewall of the engine bay and isn't too exposed to being knocked out of place. However, I'd like to see a photo to be sure. You can't upload a picture directly using the "Upload attachment" tab directly below the text field?
ipaqxman

Ah I didn't see the attachment option

Yes it does look like a steel mesh. Problem is I don't think it's covering the original part anymore. It's pushed backward further down the pipe and now just hanging. Does it need to be replaced since there's nothing now covering the flex pipe part you mentioned? Car is functioning ok just don't want its surrounding to be melted lol
Attachments
side
side
I0vZWIkw.jpeg (336.41 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
side nnot sure why the pic is upside down
side nnot sure why the pic is upside down
IMG_1067.JPG (187.37 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

As I guessed, it's the steel mesh around the flex pipe. It's actually not a heat shield in function but more of a light duty protective cover for the flex pipe. While it's not absolutely necessary, it's good to have some protection over the flex pipe to mitigate impact damage that can cause an exhaust leak.
It looks like yours was ripped off and detached from where it should be. You can pull it back over the bellows and keep it in place with a metal hose clamp as I did. Otherwise, there are other options like getting heat wraps which are commonly used on motorcycle pipes.
Unfortunately, there is no way of easily replacing it with a new one given it's part of the exhaust pipe. When flex pipes get damaged and leak exhaust, mechanics typically saw them off and then weld in a new replacement of the same diameter and length.
PittsburghJoe

Hey Guys,

This is a great thread. Can anyone tell me the size of the pipe? I need to get a new one as mine has a hole in it. Also does it have to be welded in or will clamps be sufficient?

Thanks so much!
old tech

A flex unit used to replace original should be 8x2.25id. Best if replaced with a quality stainless flex and they need to be welded in .The pipes are slightly different sizes and clamping wont work well . I weld these in for $130 parts and labor
raspinner55

Just found this post and was hoping to see if anyone has any wisdom. I just found out my flex pipe is damaged and will likely need to be replaced. They said they might not be a be able to weld a new one, and I was quoted at $3,200 for a new muffler which obviously is no ideal. Has anyone had success welding on a new flex pipe? Is it possible? Any info is appreciated.