About Castrol CVT fluid

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

honsonwong wrote:Sorry, but are you sure that your Kizashi needs to change CVT fluid? I have talked to the dealer yesterday, and I was told that the CVT fluid needed to be changed over 200,000 kms (124,274 miles).
That's a convenient claim for the manufacturer and any dealer as the vehicle and every single component will be long out of warranty by that mileage. It's a claim they have no consequence to even if they are wrong about.
In essence, be skeptical of these claims. Automakers have been making automatics with "life-long fluid" for well over a decade now and the long term results aren't favorable to their claims. With the rising rate of failures among CVTs with higher mileage, it's better to change the fluid rather than to wait and see. What's the cost of a fluid change? $70? The cost of a new CVT? $7000?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Someone just got a quote for $9,000...therefore, car's junk...go buy another one.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
PapaVanTwee

KuroNekko wrote:
honsonwong wrote:Sorry, but are you sure that your Kizashi needs to change CVT fluid? I have talked to the dealer yesterday, and I was told that the CVT fluid needed to be changed over 200,000 kms (124,274 miles).
That's a convenient claim for the manufacturer and any dealer as the vehicle and every single component will be long out of warranty by that mileage. It's a claim they have no consequence to even if they are wrong about.
In essence, be skeptical of these claims. Automakers have been making automatics with "life-long fluid" for well over a decade now and the long term results aren't favorable to their claims. With the rising rate of failures among CVTs with higher mileage, it's better to change the fluid rather than to wait and see. What's the cost of a fluid change? $70? The cost of a new CVT? $7000?
Yeah, mine was whining worse than my 6 year old daughter. Once the change was made, it was a lot quieter. I still hear it sometimes, but not all the time like it was. I only paid $3500 for this car, but I need to keep it around for a while longer.

KuroNekko

I also want to add that Suzuki now has a Technical Service Bulletin about CVTs used in more demanding conditions. They are now recommending fluid changes every 30,000 miles... which was the general recommended interval of Automatic Transmission Fluid from decades ago. I think this basically spells for all CVT Kizashis to get their fluid replaced as many have high mileage on the original factory fill. From this point forward, I think it would be wise to drain and refill the fluid every 30,000 miles.

More info on the TSB here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4337

Ronzuki's Write-up on CVT drain and refill here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4657
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

I'm going to add to this that the little cooler return cartridge filter, that's invisible in Suzuki's eyes (TSBs, parts and service manuals), should be changed as well. It was black as coal. Think about it...not changing that filter is no different than changing you engine oil w/o changing a clogged filter restricting flow. Kind of a waste of good oil and you probably wouldn't do that. All total I went through nearly 13 quarts of fluid.

My drive in to work this morning was remarkably different after that 3rd drain /fill and replacing that cartridge filter. I was barely touching the accelerator and was sailing along quite effortlessly. HUD's avg mpg for todays ride in was 37mpg. Same roads, traffic, weather and driving style. Last week couldn't break 30 on HUD on a daily trip. Before the first 2 drain/fills couldn't break 27mpg. At this point, for meager $209 and a few hours time (twice), I'd say I'm totally good to go for another 30,000 miles.

The SX4 is up next.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)