Headlight bulbs keep failing

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
WESHOOT2

My dealer uses Helio brand lamps.
johnhenrydale

Thanks again to @KuroNekko for yet another very informative post about what I view as the single worst pain point in Kizashi ownership. I've literally had nothing else go wrong with the car (other than paint that scratches too easily I suppose) than the too-frequent headlight bulb changes. I've gotten to the point where I can do it in a little less than half an hour now by not fully removing the entire bumper, but rather just removing the wheelwell screws and all the top under-the-hood screws and clips and then pulling the bumper down enough to remove the headlights. I think a crafty person with small hands could probably replace the right side bulbs without removing the bumper but no way on the driver's side.

Re: HIDs or LEDs: which is easier to install ? Do the LEDs require any wiring changes ? I'm technically proficient enough to do most small repairs on this car, but my issue these days is more about how much time is takes to do them. Are HIDs worth the extra expense and labor? The next time a bulb goes out I'm going to replace both headlight assemblies and the bulbs at the same time as I've started to get a bit of hazing on the headlight plastic on both sides. I've done a refresh with the Turtle Wax headlight polish kits you can get at AdvanceAuto or wherever, but they don't seem to last that long. The Florida sun is probably not helping either, although I'm surprised how quick the hazing shows up since I'm almost always parked in a a garage.

Also - since you mentioned it, Kuro, yes I did do the leather seat swap and it was once of the best purchases I've ever made for this car. It really classed up the interior and completes the "leather look" of the textured dash plastic. Speaking of which, I'm willing to let the cloth seats go to anyone who cares to either pick them up here in Miami or pays to have them shipped. They're in great condition. I doubt I'll get any takers, but I feel bad just throwing them out.

For christmas I'm going to do the stereo / nav / touch panel AV upgrade. I've had enough of this car's flaky bluetooth and USB connection issues (i guess that's my second major complaint about Kizashi GTS ownership). I had no issues with the 2013 SLS garmin Nav system and I LOVE the RF sound system, but it's connection to peripherals is wonky AF.

Thanks again for all your info on this subject folks, it's much appreciated.
Happy Driving,
JHD
2011 Kizashi Sport "GLS" 2WD
(GTS Upgrade project)
6sp MT
Azure Gray Metallic
Anthracite Gray Vossen CVT 19" / 5 x 114.3 +32
KuroNekko

HID vs. LED: It's hard to really say which one is better, IMO. Both have pros and cons. HIDs are definitely the older technology but them seem to have better compatibility and reliability over time as they aren't susceptible to issues caused by heat. They are also generally more focused than LEDs in projector lenses as HID bulbs better mimic the light output pattern of halogens. I have HID low beams and don't plan to switch to LEDs when my bulbs go out. I'll just get new HID bulbs. With HID kits, you can just replace/upgrade the bulbs alone for a much lower cost. For LED kits, bulb failure means you need an entirely new kit in most cases.

LEDs are the newer technology that's more power-efficient and many are now exceeding the output levels offered by HID bulbs. LED emitters themselves have tens of thousands of hours of service life vs. the thousands of hours of HID bulbs. Halogens are generally in the hundreds of hours. However, LEDs need to be cooled to maintain decent service life so many high output bulbs feature heat sinks with fans on them. This makes them rather bulky and in many cases, you can hear the fans (if your car is idling with no audio on). The good thing is that the Kizashi's sealed headlight is rather spacious even with the cap on thus many bulbs with fans should fit if the bulb isn't too bulky.
The real problem with LED bulbs is the unpredictable light output once installed. The shape of the bulb stem, location of the LEDs, the number of the LEDs, and the type of LED all factor into how the output will be. HIDs are far more predictable as the bulbs themselves don't differ much in design at all. About the only differentiation with HID bulbs is the location of the return wire.

Both HID and LEDs typically have external components. HID bulbs have a separate device called a ballast that helps to ignite the bulb by boosting voltage. LED bulbs often have external drivers that help control the current going to the LED. Some kits now feature a driver inside the actual bulb but most don't.

In terms of the easier one to install, it's probably LED given that the drivers are smaller than HID ballasts and therefore can likely fit inside the Kizashi's headlight with the cap on if really desired. I have LED DRLs/High beams but still opted to run my drivers outside the headlight to secure them properly underneath the headlight rather than have them dangling around inside. This also made adding the capacitors at a later time easier.
Both HID and LED kits of varying brands and types have been successfully installed by members here. My main suggestion is to go with a high quality kit regardless of whether you choose HID or LED.

Regarding UV damage and replacing your headlights: Try a real good polish first. I find that replacing the headlights is really not necessary unless they are severely damaged past the point of effective restoration. It will take a long time of neglect for that and any Kizashi's headlight should be able to be restored with a good polish applied by a foam pad on a drill adapter. I really liked the results 3M's Headlight Renewal polish delivered when applied by both drill and then by hand.
Keep in mind Kizashi headlights typically go for around $350 each and UV damage is an inevitable thing for cars parked outside. I recently posted about this topic so you might want to check it out, especially given that UV-blocking clear coat sprays are now available for headlights. These may be the key in keeping headlights clear for longer.
viewtopic.php?f=32&p=47904#p47898

Lastly, the RF system in your Sport GTS: Strange that you have issues with the non-Nav RF system in your Sport GTS. These are typically the most favored by reviewers and owners due to the reliability and highest quality sound. Have you tried the connectivity with a variety of devices? I find that the Bluetooth is quite reliable for audio streaming and calls. It worked excellently when I had Apple iPhones and continues to work fine with my Kyocera Android. I also often use the Bluetooth for app-based calls such as Skype and Facebook Messenger calls that use cell data. It works just as well as a typical cell phone call and the steering wheel controls even work for them.
But hey, if yours doesn't work well, might as well upgrade to something you liked better in the other Kizashi. It might go well with your seat upgrades too to make your car a custom "Kizashi Sport GLS".
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)