Ridiculous recall

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
motosonic

IMG_20181222_154830.jpg
IMG_20181222_154830.jpg (124.42 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
I received a recall notice today. Strangest thing I've seen yet. Frankly I'm shocked that they recall this.... But, not the rear shock issue.
Ronzuki

It's for real and not ridiculous at all...original recall back when was an easy fix by dealer. They install a new vent tube w/ a molded in plastic 'screen' to keep the spiders out. Had it done to mine since the particular spiders are found in my region. So now they're saying the fix that was installed can still result in the same end result...a cracked tank from negative pressure. Great, where I live and drive there's an enormous amount of road 'dust' and other field crud constantly. This is a real problem then for me.

I've seen a steel 7 or 8 story storage silo collapsed from a contractor not installing the vacuum relief vent correctly per manufacturers instructions (rendering it non-functional). As material was drawn out the bottom of the silo, the sides of the silo was literally sucked in by the negative pressure (vacuum) as the material was drawn out. The steel silo's sides collapsed inward to the point that the plant called in a crane to support the silo until a framework repair was erected around the silo to strengthen the structure.

A plastic gas tank would easily crack, as they indicate, and with hot exhaust system parts nearby, you go figure what could possibly happen.

I have not received the 'pre' recall notice yet. In the interim, if one is concerned enough, simply crack your gas cap periodically after driving, say to work, to relieve the negative pressure caused by the pump sucking gas out of the tank. If you're looking at a more lengthy jaunt w/o stopping, suggest doing so to crack the cap periodically until they come up with a fix.

Same type thing happens as a result of temperature swings. My garden tractor had a similar recall back in the mid/late 90s because the plastic tank had a poor molded seem and after a couple winter/summer cycles, the seem would open up and leak fuel. I had replaced the tank, but now I make it a habit to keep the cap on it cracked (not super tight as in vapor tight) during extended periods of non-use, like right now. The temperature swings can cause the phenomenon especially when the tank is full of fuel.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
motosonic

LOL, I get what yer saying. But, they ignore the recall for the bad rear shocks.. but, issue one because of spiders found in very specific regions? I don't know, just seems like an odd choice to me. Sure, seems understandable.. and perhaps warranted. But, issuing a recall because of spiders.. just seems silly.. I guess that's what I'm saying.
KuroNekko

motosonic wrote:LOL, I get what yer saying. But, they ignore the recall for the bad rear shocks.. but, issue one because of spiders found in very specific regions? I don't know, just seems like an odd choice to me. Sure, seems understandable.. and perhaps warranted. But, issuing a recall because of spiders.. just seems silly.. I guess that's what I'm saying.
While I understand what you're saying, the reality is that the rear shocks don't really present a safety issue as much as a comfort issue. Now if the springs were defective instead of the dampers, then yes, that would affect safety more.
As for the spiders, they are actually found worldwide. In the thread dedicated to that recall, it's discussed in more detail. It's only in the US that there's a recall for them. While the vent blockage risk is likely low and there are far more Kizashis with bad rear shocks than web-blocked gas tank vents, a cracked gasoline tank presents a major safety concern in the worse case scenario.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
chazyouwin

I'm taking this seriously. Several weeks ago I had fuel smell that seemed to saturate and wouldn't go away. Then it did go away. Possibly this, what do you know.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
motosonic

wow! This really is crazy! Well, I guess I've learned a little due to this. Who woulda thought.. spiders causing recalls!
Ronzuki

Got the letter in the mail today. Kiz is full of gas and pretty much garaged for the winter so no big deal for now.
Ron

PallyBoy

My daughter received one of these recalls - she has the 2010 with the CVT problem. My question is - were the 2010's included in the 1st recall or were they left out. If not included in the first, then I suspect that Susuki backed up the recall to include 2010's. I'm not concerned at this point about this recall since the car currently won't move; what's the chance they might back-up the previous recall on replacement of the CVT Control Module to include 2010s? The receipt of this recall letter was the first sliver of hope that Suzuki might possibly do something with the CVT problem.
The stoppage of the car in a high traffic area and not being able to move it, as what happened to her, could easily become a catastrophic failure as cars whiz by you at 60/70 mph and your half on/ half off the highway.
Ronzuki

PallyBoy, two completely different problems in your reply above. Yes 2010s were included on the original recall. I had the vent tube replaced, under the original 'spider' safety recall, on my 2010 AWD/CVT GTS. I have received the latest notice stating there's still an issue even on the vehicles already serviced for the spider problem (as mine was) under the original recall.

The CVT has zero to do w/ this negative pressure issue. Your daughters trans crapping out is not under any type of current recall now that it is out of the powertrain warranty. At one point way back when, certain 2010s were subject to a TSB for a TCM module reflash that was required, but it wasn't a 'safety' recall. TSBs are procedures to correct problems or issues...under warranty. You want the CVT issue fixed now, you're going to need to very likely pony-up the $$$ to have her particular issue diagnosed and fixed. As far as the safety concern aspect you are describing, you'll need to convince the NHSTA to step in and do something about it (ie force Suzuki to fix something). Good luck with that. Or, get a lawyer involved. Again, good luck w/ that.
Ron