service start system code B1126

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
old tech

I recently bought a 2011 gts awd with a known transmission failure. When I picked it up I found another problem. I couldnt shut the car off completely. It just had on or accessory, no off or steering lock engagement. So I disconnected the battery for the trip home. After replacing the transmission it worked fine except steering lock did not engage. I found the driver door switch screw loose. I tightened it and all was well until about 2/10 of a mile and the service start system message appeared in the useless information display. I disconnected the battery and hooked up and cycled the start switch. It returned to normal. I worked it many times and it locked and unlocked flawlessly. I retest drove and again 2/10 mile the message is back. I scanned all systems for codes with Snap-on scan tool and found B1126 (park position switch malfunction) in the TPMS. I checked and adjusted switch,cleaned its ground,and erased code. Test drove with the same result. I wanted to ask last owner what event happened prior to this since there has been some repairs done to this in its first 178,000 miles. One engine replacement and at least one transmission at different times but cant get a hold of them. I understand that this car is keeping the steering lock from actuating as a failsafe and the code B1126 probably is shared with a few more possibilities. Im hoping that someone else has seen this problem. I fear though it may be technician caused and those problems are the hardest to find.
SAEED_KIZZY

old tech wrote:I recently bought a 2011 gts awd with a known transmission failure. When I picked it up I found another problem. I couldnt shut the car off completely. It just had on or accessory, no off or steering lock engagement. So I disconnected the battery for the trip home. After replacing the transmission it worked fine except steering lock did not engage. I found the driver door switch screw loose. I tightened it and all was well until about 2/10 of a mile and the service start system message appeared in the useless information display. I disconnected the battery and hooked up and cycled the start switch. It returned to normal. I worked it many times and it locked and unlocked flawlessly. I retest drove and again 2/10 mile the message is back. I scanned all systems for codes with Snap-on scan tool and found B1126 (park position switch malfunction) in the TPMS. I checked and adjusted switch,cleaned its ground,and erased code. Test drove with the same result. I wanted to ask last owner what event happened prior to this since there has been some repairs done to this in its first 178,000 miles. One engine replacement and at least one transmission at different times but cant get a hold of them. I understand that this car is keeping the steering lock from actuating as a failsafe and the code B1126 probably is shared with a few more possibilities. Im hoping that someone else has seen this problem. I fear though it may be technician caused and those problems are the hardest to find.
according to service manual B1126 error is related to park position switch and keyless control module and checked when car is moving more that 10 km/h.
here is troubleshooting procedure in service manual in case you did not check
B1126.pdf
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
Ronzuki

Did you check the condition of the wiring to the park position switch? Following the info above would likely indicate if there was a wiring problem. I'm assuming here the switch is located in or near the shifter itself. There was a recall for replacing some shifter parts for some reason or another and I've read a story or two over the years of console area wiring being damaged during a careless recall fix. Maybe the car you bought had this done. ASMC should be able to tell you if it was completed since it was an actual safety recall. I haven't had either of our cars done (Kiz or SX4). So I haven't any first-hand knowledge of it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
bdleonard

Did the car ever have the shift lever recall performed?

You can call a dealer and have them check the VIN, or look for the identification mark shown in the repair bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/R ... 1-9733.pdf
old tech

bdleonard wrote:Did the car ever have the shift lever recall performed?

You can call a dealer and have them check the VIN, or look for the identification mark shown in the repair bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/R ... 1-9733.pdf

Thanks for that . I wasnt aware that there was a recall on shifter related parts. I called and all is up to date on this car.
old tech

I did get a chance to get back to this and there is a micro switch on the side of the shifter that had been rigged up with a screw holding it in the closed position. Evidently the shifter got forced to move and broke the shift lock mechanism. This must have been the back yard fix . I replaced the whole shifter asm and all is well. Thanks for the all the help guys.
Ronzuki

Good deal. Glad it got sorted out. I applaud your efforts to rescue and resurrect the dwindling numbers of an absolutely fantastic vehicle. So it sounds as though the car had a broken shifter, however, it had not been properly repaired by Suzuki under the recall..is that correct?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

Yeah, that's weird. The recall was supposed to prevent the shifter from breaking if you grabbed it and pulled to hard without it being released.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
old tech

A call to the dealer told me that there were no open campaigns on the shifter on this vehicle so basically there is no free parts for me no matter what is there now. I had a used unit and I installed its working as it should. As for the dwindling Kizashi population, boy isnt that right . I drove from near Erie Pa to Kenosha Wi to Joilet Il to Indianopolis In and back near Erie without seeing one on the road.
SAEED_KIZZY

bdleonard wrote:Did the car ever have the shift lever recall performed?

wow thanks "bdleonard" for this document. perfect