Coolant smell after driving the car for a while?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
iramnj

Hello everyone, I have 2 Kizashis, an SLS and an S, both with AWD. I just got the S yesterday so I haven't noticed this problem on it yet, but in the SLS, after driving the car for a decent trip, I smell burning coolant. I've had the car checked out 3 times including during the oil change, no loss of fluid levels, everything good.

I'm chalking it up to spilled coolant when they prepped for delivery, but it has been 6 months now and I still smell it. Going to have it steamed soon, but was curious if anyone else has noticed the same.

I love the Kizashi, which is why I got a 2nd one.....
sloopercat

Not normal. You need to have them put some UV dye in the system, then get out the black light and see where it is seeping. A little coolant goes a long way as far as odor goes.

Take it back and insist they do this. This is a procedure they should be familiar with. Diagnostics 101. They may have to put the dye in and have you drive it for a few days. These kits are available DIY, but that is what warranty is for.
GREG

check about 4 posts down there is a TSB on a water pump leak. might be something they missed
iramnj

Thanks to both....will look at it and have them check the water pump. I don't see any loss in coolant levels, I check them at least every other day. strange!
iramnj

Took my SLS into the dealer today for an oil change and to have them check the coolant smell. Also confirmed they already did the ECU update for the CVT.

They pressurized the system and found no leaks in coolant, and also levels were good when it came in. (11,520 miles on it now)

Having the tires rotated as well, they told me I should bring it back if I still smell the coolant smell in another few weeks, but they can't smell it now in the shop.

I'm just happy I have it documented on the service record that I complained about it at 11.5k miles, and happy there are no leaks.

I wonder if my S had the ECU update before they delivered it to me.....
sloopercat

Ask them to use the dye next time. The pressure test is only going to find the more gross leaks. You may have a small pinhole leak somewhere that the test they ran is not going to find.
iramnj

Thanks, if the smell persists will recommend that to them. For a car dealer service dept I'm lucky my dealer is pretty nice, not mention right across the street from my office so very convenient.

I'm also curious if the smell will start on my new S, but I will keep my fingers crossed that it's a strange anomoly.