2012 (not AWD) - "Gearshift not in park" error on dash

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
sicclee

Car is operating normally, except I can't completely turn it off (it stays in ACC) and so, can't lock the doors when it's not running.

Right before this happened it felt tight to shift from park into R, then N, then D.. there was resistance that hasn't ever been there. I moved it back into park before driving, then shifted back into D with no issues. At the end of this trip, after parking the car and turning it off, I got the dash message.

Again, the car is in park. The gear indicator on-dash indicates correctly while the car is running. I assume this is an electrical issue rather than a mechanical one, but can't be sure where to start. The only Service Manual I can find online states "Service AWD system" for this error message, but I don't have AWD.

Any ideas? Could it be a fuse? If so, which one?

Thanks for the help!
SAEED_KIZZY

sicclee wrote:Car is operating normally, except I can't completely turn it off (it stays in ACC) and so, can't lock the doors when it's not running.

Right before this happened it felt tight to shift from park into R, then N, then D.. there was resistance that hasn't ever been there. I moved it back into park before driving, then shifted back into D with no issues. At the end of this trip, after parking the car and turning it off, I got the dash message.

Again, the car is in park. The gear indicator on-dash indicates correctly while the car is running. I assume this is an electrical issue rather than a mechanical one, but can't be sure where to start. The only Service Manual I can find online states "Service AWD system" for this error message, but I don't have AWD.

Any ideas? Could it be a fuse? If so, which one?

Thanks for the help!
no difference between AWD and FWD in Park detection mechanism, it done by range sensor in top of gear box. follow service manual diagnostic procedure.
old tech

There was a campaign on the shifter mechanism. Im not sure if all model years were included. I had a problem similar awhile back and replacing the unit with a used unit is how i took care of it since this one had already been done at the dealer.
Taylor967

Today I got the "Gearshift not in Park" error on the dash of my 2012 Kizashi and am thinking it is the transmission position (range) sensor. I have looked everywhere for a replacement but I am not having any luck. Does anyone have any ideas on where I may be able to find one?
old tech

I have this sensor assembly but you may not need it. If trans was out or shifter cable was ever removed, the ear tab where the shift cable snaps over a ball fitting at this sensor, may be slightly bent. Sraighten if so. Next, put shifter in neutral. At the transmission end of the cable there is a drilled hole that should line up with an alignmet hole on sensor. Try this. if you need a range sensor, I can send you one.
Taylor967

Thanks. In the 8 years I have owned the car, the transmission or the shift cable has never been removed but I will check this out to see If I see any problelms.
old tech

switch is $35+ probably $13 if in the states. pm me with address when you know you want it so i can get a true shipping figure