new 2013 sls owner, wondering about upper cvt fluid filter o-ring!

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
nodl

Hello,

Recently I landed myself with a '13 sls which has had the cvt fluid drained/filled several times but it appears it has not ever had the upper filter replaced according to the service receipts that came with it. It's got 116k on it and the fluid looks ok (clearish ) in color, but it does whine quite a bit when hot.

I have read Ronzukis in depth guide to changing the upper and cleaning the lower filters, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the '13 sls as far as the O-ring goes as I'd like to swap the filter out immediately! (is it the same?)

If anyone can provide an answer who has done it with a '13 I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,

Guy who wants to keep Suzy running!
old tech

The filter that you’re asking about is called a cooler filter. It is the same filter in all of the Kizashi‘s , sx4s and the Cvt‘s used in a lot of the Mitsubishis and Nissans. The O-ring that you’re asking about is actually quite reusable although you can get a new one through Mitsubishi or Nissan . The important thing here is to make sure all the corrosion is cleaned off of the mating surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronzuki

That O-ring is one of those things that, if you're going to go in and replace the filter, it's comforting to have a new one sitting there...just in case. It's only a few dollars. That said, the O-ring is a quality part and could be reused. I could have reused mine after 80k. I kept it as a spare. Heck, I reused the original pan gasket because I felt it was far superior to the junk aftermarket rubber one that came w/ the pan filter. That pan gasket is currently not weeping anything. 116k and 7 years, I'd get one to have on hand. I pulled a distributor on my Samurai that had a similar O-Ring with a similar machined mating arrangement and it had a permanent 'flat' deformation that leaked after reinstalling it. It was 10 years old and had 91k on it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
nodl

Awesome, glad to hear your kiza is still running strong. I think I'll check the number of bolt holes on the tranny first and get a spare gasket there too (in case dealers replaced it with a rubber one 4 years ago which has weakened).

The only part that I'm unsure of is which O-ring to buy for the cooler filter- I can grab one of the same ones listed in your guide but I guess I worry they switched it up on the third year:

" As it turns out, the Mitsu p/n is 100% correct for the Jatco JF011E CVT in a MY 2010 Kizashi and I suspect it is the same in the wife’s 2011 SX4’s Jatco JF011E as well."

I will also look for more information from bdleonard if he has a list/guide up here somewhere (who ID'd your PN). Trying to keep servicing it on a budget in case something big fails but otherwise the car is in incredible shape

Really cool knowing there are people here supporting this car! I love it, its in amazing shape with possibly every upgrade(and probably my first and last hot red car haha. Could be the first of many though...)
Quimicax

All Parts For Kizashi 2010~2013 Are The Same

Only Change For 2012~2013 Fluid Pan, Mash Filter With Deeper Entry And Fluid Level Stick

Paper Filter No Change For 2010-2013
Kizashi GTS 2013 AWD
DRL Off / Foglights Without Headlights

Ford Explorer Sport 2013
350Rwhp

Nissan Xtrail 2017