Exhaust noise from under car (pics included)

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
delusional29

Hi all,

I'm getting an exhaust noise coming from the center of the car underneath. No fumes or anything in the cabin, Just a bit noisy when I first start her up. My first thought was that the exhaust pipe was broken or leaking.

I took a look underneath the car near the cat and saw this. (See attached pics)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
1.jpg
1.jpg (72.28 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
BLyons

Heat shield. You can slide it back forward, but it will eventually work it's way back. I've been debating just cutting mine off.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
KuroNekko

That's the metal mesh that covers your flex pipe located just past your engine under the car. It's a stainless steel mesh protector sleeve to cover the flex pipe portion of the exhaust (the part that has folds). Unfortunately, these mesh covers get ripped up and pulled back over time from driving over debris, rocks, parking blocks (me), and snow/ice. Mine was damaged early on from driving over a parking block hidden under snow. I pulled it back up, fixed it a bit, and then placed a large stainless steel hose clamp around it to keep it in place. It's held for several years now.
Here is a picture of mine after I damaged it the first time. You can see where the mesh is supposed to cover the flex joint of the exhaust pipe.

If you hear excessive noise, first check to see if there is damage to your flex pipe that caused the mesh to get ripped out and pulled back down along the exhaust pipe. If it's damaged (like punctured), you will need to have a pro cut off the old flex pipe and weld on a new one. It's not major work for someone who knows how to weld. Weshoot2 had this done on one of his four Kizashis.

I really wish Suzuki put more thought on this part, especially for an AWD car. My Impreza literally had a mini skid plate around the flex pipe, not mesh that got torn up after a scrape.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
delusional29

My thought is that the pipe is punctured due to the sound. I will take a look this weekend.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

KuroNekko

delusional29 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 am My thought is that the pipe is punctured due to the sound. I will take a look this weekend.

It's definitely a possibility as your mesh shield is pulled way back down the pipe. While this could have happened over time, it means your flex pipe was exposed and more prone to impact damage. Weshoot2 just posted he got his flex pipe replaced on his current 4th Kizashi for under $200.
delusional29

Update: Still haven't had a chance to look. The weather is still not cooperating and I can't get under the car just yet. Snow in the forecast. Again, ugh.

I will keep you posted.

DeL

delusional29

Quick update: Got a quote from my mechanic. He can fix it for about $200 give or take. Not too bad actually. A new piece will be welded on. (Most likely it does have a hole like I suspected.)

However, I did come across this piece here. I'm thinking I can cut off the heat shield, Install this fix and call it a day. For $10? Why not?

The only issue I have is I don't know if it will fit. What is the diameter of the pipe? Also, if I do install this piece, will it pass inspection? Or is this a no no?

Thoughts?

old tech

If a broken or punctured flex is the problem, I dont think a $10 fix is what you want. The professional repair should be between $120-$220. The pipe size is 2 1/4 in. Under techincal support use search " cheap fix 08 flex "
KuroNekko

For an exhaust component under the driver's area of the cabin, I'd definitely want a proper piece that's welded on and would not come loose or leak exhaust fumes.
While mine isn't punctured, it did sustain impact damage and I'm going to reexamine protection options. I looked into it shortly after I sustained the damage and only saw heavy duty heat wraps (like for motorcycle exhaust pipes) at the time. Some sort of armor or shielding would be ideal for those of us who drive on dirt roads.
AirRideFan

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm For an exhaust component under the driver's area of the cabin, I'd definitely want a proper piece that's welded on and would not come loose or leak exhaust fumes.
While mine isn't punctured, it did sustain impact damage and I'm going to reexamine protection options. I looked into it shortly after I sustained the damage and only saw heavy duty heat wraps (like for motorcycle exhaust pipes) at the time. Some sort of armor or shielding would be ideal for those of us who drive on dirt roads.
Yeah, you're lucky yours didn't get punctured like my orig one did, Kuro... Dented a tiny bit-- but no leaks. That's sweet! I wasn't so lucky. I had it get punctured --- so had it cut out and a new flex pipe welded in--- and a little over two years later--- THAT one got punctured ! (I agree with what you said above---- really wish Suzuki would've put a skid plate below that flex pipe to protect it, with it being so vulnerable underneath our cars...especially considering a lot of Kizashi's are AWD vehicles! What the hecckkkk, SuzukI! ha

Anyway- my buddy welded a NICE 100% Stainless Steel (Vibrant) Flex-Pipe in place of the 2nd (NON-Stainless one that Meineke welded in before---- and so far... it's been holding up.

At what mileage do you think the motor mounts on the Kizashi should need to be replaced? (they have a lot to do with the flex pipe FLEXING TOO MUCH...over time and eventually get cracked as well)
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!