103k on original rear shocks...

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
kizzy1

Hi all...believe it or not, I still have the original shock assembly on my 2010 SE AWD. There is an occasional thump or squeak from the rear over certain bumps but the shocks don't appear to be leaking. As I've decided to keep the old gal going for awhile, I figured I will change them out. I have read about the bump stoppers and the original units causing the shocks to corrode (could mine have avoided that issue?). Would it be wise to replace the shock units, mounts and stoppers? Are the parts different for awd vs. fwd? Does KYB make replacements or should I just use OEM (and are they even available for this car anymore)? I appreciate any info. and advice...Thanks
KuroNekko

The corrosion issue with the rear shocks is completely dependent on environmental conditions related to moisture. If you live in an area that is rather dry and doesn't get much rain and snow, you may not ever encounter the problem. At 100K miles, any set of shocks would be past their prime and ready to replace. I've recently replaced my second set (first was replaced under warranty due to the corrosion issue) so I can give you a few tips:

The first is don't bother trying to find and buy the OE struts and shocks. They are hard to find and overpriced, not to mention there is really no indication they are any different than the aftermarket KYB shocks (KYB Excel-G) sold for a fraction of the price from multiple retailers. KYB is the OEM anyway for the Kizashi's OE shocks.

Another fact is that there is no differentiation from KYB for the shocks and struts for the Kizashi variants such as Sport models and AWD models. Suzuki part numbers show a difference but KYB specifies the same shocks and struts for all Kizashis. A number of us have used the same KYB Excel-G shocks/struts on various Kizashis ranging from Sport models with FWD to non-Sport models with AWD. The same KYB aftermarket parts fit and work on all Kizashis.

As for what to replace:
For the fronts, you need new struts and new strut mounts at the very least. If your boot/bumper is in good shape, better to reuse it. That's what my mechanic did even when I provided a new boot. The spring was also reused because KYB doesn't currently offer a Strut-Plus kit for the Kizashi (a new strut with new spring preloaded). If you need new springs, there are aftermarket ones available from H&R.

For the rears, it gets a bit tricky. Other than the new shocks, replacing the rear bump stopper has some considerations. For those in humid areas prone to corrosion, the revised OE bump stopper from Suzuki is certainly the best. I have these from the early warranty work but bought new KYB replacement bump stoppers for the recent work. The problem was that the KYB part did not fit the OE rear shock mount (which I did not replace because it's a solid piece of metal with no issues, not to mention, hard to find a new replacement). I had to cut the KYB bump stopper's foam to get it to fit. I also examined the old bump stoppers and noted they were in good condition to be reused (much like the mechanic did for the fronts). I plan to reuse the old OE Revised bump stoppers next time due to the better fit.

So, for your case, try to get a revised OE bump stopper and install that with the new shocks if you can for the best outcome. If getting your hands on one is unrealistic and you aren't at risk of corrosion due to your environment, just reuse them and replace the shocks themselves. Again, the KYB bump stoppers don't fit the OE mount.

Lastly, I'd also replace the rear sway bar bushings at this point. Your noise could be coming from those.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bdleonard

My take is that thumping and clunking is most likely to be the sway bar bushings or the sway bar end links being shot. (Or possibly a broken or loose mount somewhere.) Regardless of the cause of the noise, at over 10 years and 100k miles all of the original parts, excepting the springs themselves, are certainly well worn and due for replacement. The springs I would only worry about if you find one has broken, or if you notice that the coating has been compromised and there is visible rust and corrosion on the spring itself.
Kizzzy2weeks

Mine failed way before 100k I wanna say. I just kept driving on them, it was terrible. And the mechanic broke one of the mounts due to them being aluminum. It was great, they blamed me saying it's the cars fault.
KuroNekko

Kizzzy2weeks wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 pm Mine failed way before 100k I wanna say. I just kept driving on them, it was terrible. And the mechanic broke one of the mounts due to them being aluminum. It was great, they blamed me saying it's the cars fault.
That sucks, but riding on busted shocks is no bueno. Aside from the discomfort and noise, worn shocks that no longer damper adequately will result in uneven tire wear such as cupping.
KuroNekko

bdleonard wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:28 pm My take is that thumping and clunking is most likely to be the sway bar bushings or the sway bar end links being shot. (Or possibly a broken or loose mount somewhere.) Regardless of the cause of the noise, at over 10 years and 100k miles all of the original parts, excepting the springs themselves, are certainly well worn and due for replacement. The springs I would only worry about if you find one has broken, or if you notice that the coating has been compromised and there is visible rust and corrosion on the spring itself.
I had my front suspension replaced with new struts and mounts but still have a slight creaking noise when I turn at low speeds (such as in a parking lot) over uneven ground. It's not a steering issue as much as a noise related to the suspension. I suspect it's worn sway bar components such as the bushings and end links. I replaced my rear bushings early on shortly after I got the RRM rear sway bar. It came with bushings that didn't last long so I upgraded to Moog universal polyurethane bushings that were far superior. I suspect I need to replace the front sway bar bushings but need to crawl under and check. If I recall correctly, clearance to work on them will be a challenge but possible with the right tools. I need to look into replacing the end links too while I'm at it. I totally agree that at 10 years/100K miles, these sorts of components just wear out and need replacement.
bdleonard

KuroNekko wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:41 pm I had my front suspension replaced with new struts and mounts but still have a slight creaking noise when I turn at low speeds (such as in a parking lot) over uneven ground. It's not a steering issue as much as a noise related to the suspension. I suspect it's worn sway bar components such as the bushings and end links. I replaced my rear bushings early on shortly after I got the RRM rear sway bar. It came with bushings that didn't last long so I upgraded to Moog universal polyurethane bushings that were far superior. I suspect I need to replace the front sway bar bushings but need to crawl under and check. If I recall correctly, clearance to work on them will be a challenge but possible with the right tools. I need to look into replacing the end links too while I'm at it. I totally agree that at 10 years/100K miles, these sorts of components just wear out and need replacement.
The end links are easy, if the nuts are not rusted in to place. Since the OEM links only have a small (5mm?) hex key in the end of the stud for holding it still while turning the nut, here in the Northeast US it was hopeless. I just had to cut most of them off. I put the grease-able MOOG parts on the front and rear (which remings me that I need to grease them this spring), which have a surface for a an open wrench at the base of the stud (right before the ball) and are also just thicker metal in general compared to the OEM.

The front sway bar bushings I have, but didn't change, as there was no notable looseness there in any direction. I did make sure that (from below) I could at least get a wrench on the bushing bracket bolts. All seemed do-able from below with the front on ramps but definitely looked to be very a slow pain in the butt.
KuroNekko

bdleonard wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 am
KuroNekko wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:41 pm I had my front suspension replaced with new struts and mounts but still have a slight creaking noise when I turn at low speeds (such as in a parking lot) over uneven ground. It's not a steering issue as much as a noise related to the suspension. I suspect it's worn sway bar components such as the bushings and end links. I replaced my rear bushings early on shortly after I got the RRM rear sway bar. It came with bushings that didn't last long so I upgraded to Moog universal polyurethane bushings that were far superior. I suspect I need to replace the front sway bar bushings but need to crawl under and check. If I recall correctly, clearance to work on them will be a challenge but possible with the right tools. I need to look into replacing the end links too while I'm at it. I totally agree that at 10 years/100K miles, these sorts of components just wear out and need replacement.
The end links are easy, if the nuts are not rusted in to place. Since the OEM links only have a small (5mm?) hex key in the end of the stud for holding it still while turning the nut, here in the Northeast US it was hopeless. I just had to cut most of them off. I put the grease-able MOOG parts on the front and rear (which remings me that I need to grease them this spring), which have a surface for a an open wrench at the base of the stud (right before the ball) and are also just thicker metal in general compared to the OEM.

The front sway bar bushings I have, but didn't change, as there was no notable looseness there in any direction. I did make sure that (from below) I could at least get a wrench on the bushing bracket bolts. All seemed do-able from below with the front on ramps but definitely looked to be very a slow pain in the butt.
Thanks for the heads-up on the end links. I'll add them to the list. I'll likely get the Moog parts too.
I had the same observation about the front sway bar bushing mounts. At my next oil change, I'm going to check all the parts for their condition.