Rough cold start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
vratnik

Hello friends, I am having the following issue with my Suzuki Kizashi. On cold start, RPM temporarily drop to 500 and the engine starts shaking, almost to a stall (car is shaking for a moment), then rpm go higher, although still not very confidently.

Please note that I'm not touching any pedal after the start. After 1-2 minutes RPM stabilize. Already tried:

Cleaned the throttle body, completely by removing it from the engine and cleaning from both sides.
Replaced spark plugs by new ones, exactly same as mentioned in the manual, also previous ones were the same.
Cleaned MAF sensor (with maf cleaner).
Cleaned PCV valve (with throttle cleaner).
Used cleaning additive in the fuel.

None of these helped at all. The issue is slowly (months) getting worse. About 3 months ago exhaust was replaced by other (not new) due to a hole in the muffler. No issue after the replacement. The vehicle had been converted to LPG since 2013 I think, for startup a 100-octane gasoline is used. Motor oil changed a few months ago by authorized service. No error codes in ECU, no other sensor errors.
The battery may need some charge, I am noticing too much cranking at the start.
I also noticed the engine has too much oil, for my taste. The oil was replaced in an official Suzuki dealer for much €€€€€€, as noted above.

What's next? Thanks for advice, ideas.
Last edited by vratnik on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old tech

The longer cranking time could be explained by the loss of fuel pressure. Dirty injectors could cause this not sealing and leaking through and also causing the rough idle at first. Can you get a set of injectors to try? If this model is extremely rare where you’re at,I think the Vitara could used as a doner. In a pinch , the 2.0 Sx4 but those injectors are metered down for the smaller displacement and should only be used to confirm diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vratnik

Forgot to mention I also used a cleaning fuel additive a few weeks ago. Is it not enough to clean the injectors? Can they be removed and cleaned manually?
vratnik

Update: I removed the excess oil (0.6L) from the engine. It is now at recommended level. I am thinking about adjusting valves as Scotty kilmer did in his video but I am not sure about where crankshaft pulley on this engine is.
Woodie

Ours don't adjust like the ones in Scotty's video. It's a much more complicated process that involves removing the camshafts and replacing the tappets with ones of different thickness. Unless you're certain that there is a problem with the valve clearance, I wouldn't mess with them.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

I had similar issues before I cleaned my throttle body. After that, it had an unstable idle. What cured it was disconnecting the car's battery and then undoing and reattaching the electrical harness at the throttle body. While I don't have a technical explanation for it, I believe the position of the TB was not correct and had to be reset electronically by the battery disconnect. If the matter persists, I then look into the injectors. While you said you used a fuel injector cleaner, they are not all equal. Also, I've read that the best way to use them is to add to an empty tank, completely refill with fuel, and then drive for as long as possible, ideally on the freeway.
Good luck.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
kizashiwanter

@vratnik have you dealt with this problem? If so, what was the cause?
vratnik

It went away on its own. Sometimes it still happens but I stopped to care.
kizashiwanter

Woodie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:08 pm Ours don't adjust like the ones in Scotty's video. It's a much more complicated process that involves removing the camshafts and replacing the tappets with ones of different thickness. Unless you're certain that there is a problem with the valve clearance, I wouldn't mess with them.
Do you have instructions on how to check valve clearances in Kizashi with a CVT gearbox?
vratnik

My problem started appearing again. I will investigate vacuum, hoses, EGR. I don't smoke but I will need once, to check for vacuum leak :)