Ignition locked problem, intermittent

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Mike P

Hello peeps. I'm in Melb Aus, have a 2011 AWD 2.4v4 cvt auto w keyless entry n start button. bought 2nd hand in 2013 w 95k,k's on clock, now dun 225k,ks. had an intermittent problem for a few years now. sometimes i go to start it n it comes up with error message in orange on dash, saying "turn steering wheel to release lock" n won't start. everything else works, but I'm stuck. realised recently it also shows orange key symbol (ignition locked) on rh cnr of display. Don't ask how, but I worked out that to get out, lock it with fob n manually unlock it using door button, sometimes this clears it first time, sometimes 2nd or 3rd, sometimes 25, or not, but in end always clears, 45mins record so far. Tho not sure if this is a time thing or actually achieving something. obviously have live fob,. I've even seen "can't detect fob, while engine running. Saw a few similar probs in US, but no answers. I booked into Suzi dlrs next week (2mnth wait). They've never heard if this (as usual). Any similar issues in UK. Presume you have similar models as Aus.
Woodie

This is a common problem, you need a steering wheel lock module. https://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... ock#p51805

On the "can't detect fob" problem, I'd replace the battery in the key fob, it's a CR2032.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Woodie

When you turn off the car and open the door, the steering wheel lock cycles. Sometimes this fails and then the next time you start the car you have this problem. After you turn the car off listen as you open the driver's side door, you should be able to hear the motor run for a second. When it's screwing up and not allowing you to start the car, turn it back off and open the door, giving it another chance to work right. It's the opening of the door that is the key, that might allow you a better chance of getting it to work when it's messing up.

If you open the door while the engine is running, and disconnect the door switch, it will never try to lock the steering again, and you'll never have this problem again. You'll also have no dome light, and the anti-theft feature of locked steering will not work. But this is a work around you can use until you get the module replaced.

You might call your dealer and tell them this lock module is what you need so they can get one on hand before you take the car in.
Mike P

Pretty sure the steering is not actually locked, with no power steering its super hard, but you can just turn the wheel just. Ignition is locked, this is just what it displays. This has happened about 40 times in 3 years, probably 5% of the time, but its random as eff. The fob opener and the fob code detect are apparently different functions, the code is a chip, doesn't need a battery even, the opener is wireless 463mhz. Have you heard of this issue before, over there.
Woodie

Yes, we've heard of both problems and told you the most likely fix.

If you'd rather go to the dealership instead of trying a $2 battery, I can't help you.
KlutzNinja

I figure if the car is 10 years old and you’ve had it for 8 of those years, the fob battery should have been replaced at some point, and you might be familiar with all this already. My fob began dying well before 10 years in, and my mileage is far below yours. Hmm. Regardless, here’s a how-to video for replacing the battery, because it’s a bit of a pain. The smaller the screwdriver, the better, supposedly.

I hope this is the issue with your fob, otherwise I’ve got nothing lol.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Mike P

I have replaced the 20332 battery on both fobs more than once.
Mike P

ffs, ive done everything everybody above me have suggested, im well across all that, how do i find the steering lock and will this let me move the ficker at least, im not new, bin 8 years now. how do i fix this, its stuck there fr 5 days, n im walkin n ridin, not a bad thing i know, but gotta get going.