Ignition locked problem, stuck

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Mike P

Im in trouble here, need help.
My 11 Kiz AWD push button start had the locked steering, no start problem intermittently for 3 years, finally disconnected the driver door switch 4 months ago, but didn't remove the steering lock, now its stuck again, looks permanently. is stuck in my local pubs carpark, in park with steering locked and showing "turn wheels" error message, didn't come good for 5 days now, there going to get pissed off soon. Interestingly my mechanic drinking bud who is a bit more heavy handed than I am jumped in and managed to turn the wheel and get it outa park (should have moved it out of the shit parkin spot I was in) but gave up. I attempted to have a go at removing the steering lock, so finally pried open the steering column covers to not see the steering lock I expected to see (as per the fix posts from 2018) but an alloy upside down U shaped thingy with 2 hex head 5m Philips head screws holding it in (no snapped of security screws), so I gave up for the day. I did notice my fob didn't lock drivers door. Came back today for another go (with another fob) and it didn't work, to lock unlock or register to turn on electrics, wont open trunk either, internal switch wont open it either. Steering was still free but stuck in park, so can't even push it. My suzuki dealer service (amongst other brands, knows nothing and apparently suzi Aus doesn't do technical support either and its so far outa warranty. Any ideas? Ive been stuck 1k down the road for 5 days and I cant move it. Where is and how do I remove the steering lock and will that cure it? Didn't see any switches on the cover I separated, not on top section anyway. Am I fooked?
Woodie

Sounds as if your battery is dead now. I doubt if you are going to get a different answer just because you started a different thread. You need a steering lock module, it costs close to $350, and it takes a couple of hours to replace it, YOU NEED TO DROP THE STEERING COLUMN.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
old tech

This should’ve been impossible for the steering lock to engage without a signal from the door switch. Before this recent locked up incident,had you seen any thing on the useless information display that the drivers door was open while you were driving sometimes? Did you hear any chime ? I have at least four customers that I’ve modified the system in a fashion similar to disconnecting the driver switch and I’ve had no troubles. This is what I’m doing. I swap the inputs to the keyless start computer for the left front and left rear doors and then add a toggle switch into now circuit for the left rear door . Doing this the driver still has dome light when the drivers door opens but yet on the useless information display it shows the left rear door opening instead. I’m adding the toggle switch in case if the electronic steering lock loses continuity for starter and I can just tell them to flip the switch and then open the left rear door and then cycle start shut off and start until the vehicle starts and then shut the toggle switch off again. So far on these 4 cars I haven’t any trouble yet. Getting a brand new electronic steering lock is definitely the correct way to fix these problems but yet I can’t seem to get anybody to spring for that. Everybody wants a cheap fix. On The shifter, being heavy-handed here will only lead you to more troubles. There is a shift lock override access right beside the shifter. Pry that lid off and you can push down the lever to move the shifter. I did have someone break that and I can’t remember what troubles I had but I know I had to replace the shifter with a good used one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike P

Woodie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:01 pm Sounds as if your battery is dead now. I doubt if you are going to get a different answer just because you started a different thread. You need a steering lock module, it costs close to $350, and it takes a couple of hours to replace it, YOU NEED TO DROP THE STEERING COLUMN.
How do I drop the steering column. It tilts a bit, but what do I do to drop it further? U$350 is Au$525, I may do that but got to get it moving again.
Mike P

old tech wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 pm This should’ve been impossible for the steering lock to engage without a signal from the door switch. Before this recent locked up incident,had you seen any thing on the useless information display that the drivers door was open while you were driving sometimes? Did you hear any chime ? I have at least four customers that I’ve modified the system in a fashion similar to disconnecting the driver switch and I’ve had no troubles. This is what I’m doing. I swap the inputs to the keyless start computer for the left front and left rear doors and then add a toggle switch into now circuit for the left rear door . Doing this the driver still has dome light when the drivers door opens but yet on the useless information display it shows the left rear door opening instead. I’m adding the toggle switch in case if the electronic steering lock loses continuity for starter and I can just tell them to flip the switch and then open the left rear door and then cycle start shut off and start until the vehicle starts and then shut the toggle switch off again. So far on these 4 cars I haven’t any trouble yet. Getting a brand new electronic steering lock is definitely the correct way to fix these problems but yet I can’t seem to get anybody to spring for that. Everybody wants a cheap fix. On The shifter, being heavy-handed here will only lead you to more troubles. There is a shift lock override access right beside the shifter. Pry that lid off and you can push down the lever to move the shifter. I did have someone break that and I can’t remember what troubles I had but I know I had to replace the shifter with a good used one .

thanks for reminding me about shift lock override (so I can at least push it into a better spot). I'm still looking for instruction on where to find and how to remove steering lock . never got any useless icons lit up but you don't always look. am I the first to get another lock up, lock out after removing drivers door switch (I retained the connector w cable tie to retrieve and refit later) I a bit tech/mech savvy, have rebuilt bike engines in past and had done my own servicing on a mates hoist, these things have shit placement of oil filter, but electricarry buggers me. How to get(so I can a at steering lock please.
Woodie

Mike P wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:12 am How do I drop the steering column. It tilts a bit, but what do I do to drop it further? U$350 is Au$525, I may do that but got to get it moving again.
Might not be as much in Australia, Suzuki still does business there.

By drop the steering column I mean remove the bolts that hold it up and allow it do drop into your lap. If I remember correctly the steering lock module is on the top of the column. There's not much you can do to it, I wouldn't bother going through all that unless I had a new one in my hand.

If your door switch is still unplugged then the lock is not making any attempt to move, unlikely that anything will change. I would bring a set of jumper cables to where the car is parked, hook them up and get it charging. Then reconnect the driver's door switch so that the lock will resume trying to cycle. Try starting it, if you get the error message turn it back off and open the door, you should hear the lock module try to cycle. Keep repeating this process until it successfully starts, then disconnect the switch again.

THEN ORDER A NEW STEERING LOCK MODULE
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Mike P

Thanks man, but no one has replied o my original question, where is, and how do I find this steering lock? I'm still stuck at the pub,6 days now. My battery was replaced 2 yrs ago, suspect loose terminals or prolly blown fuse, but why. i just prized the steering column cover off, no switch looking thingy on top half. Where is and how to find n remove the lock, tho I thinks Im newest getting ficked over on this problem, Suzi Aus has no local technical support either, bikes do, not cars. yeah corse I'm an ausie, rhd, scuze my 1 figure typing, I'm a pensioner n cant be ficked, sorry.
old tech

The electronic steering lock is located a foot and a half below the steering wheel on the steering shaft itself. With the drivers door connected and the indicator on the dash working showing the driver door open and battery charged ,All fuses good , lower black fuse panel access off, cycle the key to attempt to start a few times if the steering lock doesn’t react tap on it lightly with a hammer and punch. If still no reaction I would want to hook up a scan tool and read all the codes on all the computers but if your dash lights aren’t even coming on then power has to be jumped into the fuse box to be able to do that.

Mike P

old tech wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:24 pm The electronic steering lock is located a foot and a half below the steering wheel on the steering shaft itself. With the drivers door connected and the indicator on the dash working showing the driver door open and battery charged ,All fuses good , lower black fuse panel access off, cycle the key to attempt to start a few times if the steering lock doesn’t react tap on it lightly with a hammer and punch. If still no reaction I would want to hook up a scan tool and read all the codes on all the computers but if your dash lights aren’t even coming on then power has to be jumped into the fuse box to be able to do that.

Thanks for that, I'm in the car park of my local pub, sounds like im ficked, is steering lock inside the under the bonnet/hood, im looking for detailed instructions on how to find and remove steering lock, n this is as closes Est we've got.
vmendozad

I had same problem for few months during the last two years, specially in winter time. Most of the times, after several attempts the car started, but once it didn't and my car got permanently parked in my garage. I bought a used steering lock from eBay, installed but it didn't work. Finally, I decided to get a new one from MegaZip, which is now the best option to get new parts. I got it in less than 10 days, installed by myself (not really difficult), and problem is gone.

My car is working fine since then. So I highly recommend to get a new steering lock and install it.