how to check if the chain is stretched? Do I need special tools to set the timing?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
kizashiwanter

as the engine starts, I hear the chain for a few seconds, then it goes silent
Woodie

As usual, I'm going to give you my very experienced amateur opinion and then later today or tomorrow the guy who really knows this stuff will give you better advice.

The chain is tensioned by oil pressure, the tensioner could be bad. Be sure that you have 10W-30 oil, synthetic is better at keeping things clean and preventing sludge, etc from gumming things up. Oil filters have something called an drain back valve that prevents the oil from draining out of the engine into the pan while the car sits, if you happened to get a filter with a bad drain back valve it would cause this problem. You might try changing the oil filter just to see if it changes, try a different brand.

All of that being said, my Aerio with pretty much the same engine has been doing this for 10 years with no consequences, one out of five starts it makes this horrible noise for half a second.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
old tech

A new filter and 10 W 30 oil is excellent advice. I don’t see any problems with the chain, tensioner,and guide set up in the Kizashi. It has a back up ratcheting lock inside that tensioner so very little if any noise is heard from here typically. Trouble codes such as P0012 and P0016 are timing correlation codes and sometimes this chain is wrongly accused of the problem. What I see is the oil control valve / actuator sticking or electronically open. Could it be on your engine that it has a lot of miles and possibly earlier in its life wasn’t the best taking care of as far as oil changes and now you have a stack up of extra clearance throughout. This would cause a little bit of noise on start up. This shouldn’t hurt any thing but maybe could be lessened by slightly thicker oil like 10w40. I had an engine apart that had 180,000 miles on it that had been overheated. I had the head shaved .0020 and I reused the timing chain. I just saw that same car with 220,000 on it now and still running fine.. I see these as pretty rock solid engines if kept clean and not overheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kizashiwanter

The mechanic tells me the timing needs to be checked. To confirm that the chain hadn't changed. He also says that the wholesalers he works with don't have a timing kit and he wants me to deliver it to him. I've been looking and can't find it. Does the timing kit have a part number that I could search for?
old tech

Suzuki doesnt sell a timing chain kit . Each item is sold separately. The chain alone has a retail of near $200 oem. A kit is available aftermarket containing chain, guides, crank gear, 1 cam gear, and a tensioner for $53 on ebay. I cannot attest to the quality of this kit. An oem chain is currently listed on ebay for $124.95 p n 12761-78K00. I have yet to find any troubles here though. I have had the control valve solenoid fail. If this valve sticks it usually throws a code . Sometimes it can rattle the cam to gear connection if not working correctly. There is an oil screen mounted in the front cover for this system that should cleaned while apart.
kizashiwanter

Thank you for your response. I can see these parts on ebay. Only I don't know yet if these parts need to be replaced. My mechanic wants to check it out. He says there are timing checking tools for other cars. Can I also buy such tools for Kizashi? If, for example, this tool shows that the chain is stretched or the timing is incorrectly set, then I will buy new parts for replacement