Fluid Change - Transmission Trouble

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Flowersandfilth

So, we changed the transmission fluid on my 2010 suzuki kizashi sls this past week, did a an all around brake (rotors and pads) job, and replaced the battery. We’ve done the cvt fluid replacement before with the filter change with no issues. We also changed the filters this time around.

We did a few things different this time (we changed from the Castrol cvt fluid to an amsoil cvt fluid which is supposedly specd to replace suzuki green 1&2) and we had an issue with the pan leaking. We caught it before starting the car back up. My father-in-law took the pan off and one of the holes for the pan nut needed to be retapped so he did that. Everything looked fine no leaks. We also replaced the transmission pan (with one from a junk 2011 kizashi that we already had) as the old one was bent. We put it all back together and it started but it idled rough.

So it idles rough and it won’t accelerate. Feels like it’s in a sort of limp mode or fail safe mode. To be fair the idle is probably going to be rough because the battery was out for about 4 days.

It’s throwing a code for the transmission fluid pressure. And a few other codes. It’s throwing P0842, P0847, and P0641.

I’m not sure if it’s due to the fluid itself or possibly another issue. Has anyone here used the amsoil cvt fluid and had luck with it? Any other ideas as to what it could be? The pan visually looks to be the same size but I know that there’s a chance it could have been changed with the TSB.
old tech

How many miles are on the transmission? Were you experiencing any issues with the transmission to cause you to service it? On the idle, any time the battery is disconnected, the throttle body and maf sensor should be cleaned to prevent idle issues . Was there any debris on pan floor and filter? Erase codes and recheck for codes with out starting car. Then start car and see what codes come back. I’m thinking that Po641 is the actual problem. Check the fuses with a test light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flowersandfilth

old tech wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:38 am How many miles are on the transmission? Were you experiencing any issues with the transmission to cause you to service it? On the idle, any time the battery is disconnected, the throttle body and maf sensor should be cleaned to prevent idle issues . Was there any debris on pan floor and filter? Erase codes and recheck for codes with out starting car. Then start car and see what codes come back. I’m thinking that Po641 is the actual problem. Check the fuses with a test light.

Zero issues with transmission before minus a slight whine but it was time for the fluid change anyway. The pan really clean. There were a few metal flecks on the magnets but I really do mean a few. Definitely not enough to indicate a problem. There are around 170k miles on the car. The fluid was changed when I got the car at 135k when it started to whine and get hotter quicker. After the first change zero issues. Car ran great after. It started to whine a tad and so we decided to change it again. The Castrol was clearance everywhere and we had to order online so we decided to use aimsol instead since it felt like the castrol might become hard to find.
Flowersandfilth

Flowersandfilth wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:35 am
old tech wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:38 am How many miles are on the transmission? Were you experiencing any issues with the transmission to cause you to service it? On the idle, any time the battery is disconnected, the throttle body and maf sensor should be cleaned to prevent idle issues . Was there any debris on pan floor and filter? Erase codes and recheck for codes with out starting car. Then start car and see what codes come back. I’m thinking that Po641 is the actual problem. Check the fuses with a test light.

Zero issues with transmission before minus a slight whine but it was time for the fluid change anyway. The pan really clean. There were a few metal flecks on the magnets but I really do mean a few. Definitely not enough to indicate a problem. There are around 170k miles on the car. The fluid was changed when I got the car at 135k when it started to whine and get hotter quicker. After the first change zero issues. Car ran great after. It started to whine a tad and so we decided to change it again. The Castrol was clearance everywhere and we had to order online so we decided to use aimsol instead since it felt like the castrol might become hard to find.
Update: followed instructions. Same codes still appear. All fuses up top are good. Still need to check ones down below.
old tech

I wanted to know if any of the codes came back without even starting the engine .. Also I would have found a picture of any debris very helpful in evaluating pulley condition. Your codes aren’t the usual that I see with the common transmission failure. One code has to do with computer not seeing proper voltage so turn ignition on but don’t start and check the two bare spots on the tops of all fuses with test light with lead grounded. You should have either no power on either spot or power on both spots. If you have any fuses that just have power on one side that fuse is bad and needs replaced. All fuses that were worried about will be powered up with ignition on the engine off.

bdleonard

I agree, sounds like the P0641 code is the only one that matters. I'd guess a fuse has blown, a connector wasn't plugged back in, or a wire has broken.

Codes are:

P0842: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch “A” Circuit Low
Primary pressure sensor signal circuit voltage is lower than specified value for 5 sec.

P0847: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch “B” Circuit Low
Secondary pressure sensor signal circuit voltage is lower than specified value for 5 sec.

P0641: Sensor Reference Voltage “A” Circuit / Open
Primary and secondary pressure sensor power supply circuit voltage is out of specified value for 5 sec.
rohanahmed

bdleonard wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:36 pm I agree, sounds like the P0641 code is the only one that matters. I'd guess a fuse has blown, a connector wasn't plugged back in, or a wire has broken.

Codes are:

P0842: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch “A” Circuit Low
Primary pressure sensor signal circuit voltage is lower than specified value for 5 sec.

P0847: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch “B” Circuit Low
Secondary pressure sensor signal circuit voltage is lower than specified value for 5 sec.

P0641: Sensor Reference Voltage “A” Circuit / Open
Primary and secondary pressure sensor power supply circuit voltage is out of specified value for 5 sec.
Hey buddy, are you able to resolve the issue? I am also conisdering a transmission oil change soon. Currently at 245k km (bought at 198k km). Any suggestions?
Flowersandfilth

So far not yet. Haven’t had time to work on it until today. All fuses test good. We’re going to connections next.
bdleonard

rohanahmed wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 am Hey buddy, are you able to resolve the issue? I am also conisdering a transmission oil change soon. Currently at 245k km (bought at 198k km). Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to just start by doing a drain and fill and leave the pan and pan filter/pickup alone. That will take about 3.8L of CVT fluid. If everything still feels good, do another drain and fill in a few thousand km, and replace the small cartridge filter behind the CVT cooler plate on the side of the transmission. Again, if all feels well do a third drain and fill after another few thousand km. After that, just give it a drain and fill every 50k km.
Flowersandfilth

Sorry for the long wait. We’ve had a busy week. Pretty sure we found the issue. Her dad got the wire that runs thru the transmission hung between the pan and it’s now damaged.

I have pictures of it. We have a new one from the parts car but we don’t know best way to fix or replace.