Steering Wheel lock

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Neonfloater47

I’ve got the infamous turn steering wheel to release lock. I’ve read through the posts about this being a common problem and tried many different things to get it to start all to no avail. I haven’t been able to start it in 7 days and had it towed back to my house. I’ve tried ordering a new steering wheel lock from both Suzuki automotive parts $360 and suzuki car parts $540 with both of them getting canceled because the part is on back order. The only other website that doesn’t specifically say it’s out of stock is megazip but after shipping it’s $690. Is this my only option?
old tech

No . I would put a cheap momentary push button switch in left coin box powered from brake light to energize stater relay. All connections can be done inside passenger compartment at keyless start/ tpms computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
old tech

To use the car right now you could run through the motions of getting it started and you’ll have your dash lights come on, then go out under the hood and pull the starter relay and jumper the two leads that are copper color. These will complete the circuit for the starter engagement

Neonfloater47

old tech wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:43 am To use the car right now you could run through the motions of getting it started and you’ll have your dash lights come on, then go out under the hood and pull the starter relay and jumper the two leads that are copper color. These will complete the circuit for the starter engagement

Wow I don't know how i didn't think of that! After I did that my car started right away, drove around for a bit still seeing the "turn steering wheel to release lock" and a check engine light. Went home parked ran the code with nothing popping up, shut it off, started it again through the starter relay, cleared the codes and now it starts normally! will make sure to always carry stuff to jump the relay but hopefully that doesn't happen often. Thank you!
Woodie

Neonfloater47 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:51 pm Went home parked ran the code with nothing popping up, shut it off, started it again through the starter relay, cleared the codes and now it starts normally!
That probably won't last. Right now while it's working start the car, open the door, and remove the door switch. That way the module will not lock the steering and get stuck again.

This place in New Jersey claims to have it for $335: https://www.suzukiautomotiveparts.com/o ... 3710057l12
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

I'm starting to have this issue occasionally, but perhaps less so than others in colder climates. I have yet to modify anything because the steering lock eventually unlocks after opening the door/starting the car and repeating this process if necessary. As others have already pointed out, the steering lock function is wired to the door sensor thus will engage/disengage based on the door opening/car starting. I have been able to overcome the steering lock issue by basically forcing the lock mechanism to engage and disengage repeatedly until I can start the engine; often starting it while the door is still open.
Perhaps this technique will eventually fail if the steering lock mechanism is bound to degrade further in function but I wanted to share this technique in case someone is stuck somewhere. Again, opening the door is "key" in cycling the steering lock engage and disengage.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)