Help CVT is making sounds

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Abdullah

Hello all ,
I have a 2015 Suzuki Kizashi FWD. Yesterday I left it for CVT transmission oil change. They used Nissan NS-2 CVT transmission. The transmission was making a very faint sound like a R/C toy car but after the oil change the sound has increased.... Please help.
If GOD forbid the CVT is giving up on me are they any rebuild kit for it that I should be looking at. I did find a bunch on the internet but don't know which ones are good or that I might be needing

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

old tech

Noise from the cvt’s is usually caused by an interruption in proper fluid flow. It could be that you have a lot of debris on the pick up screen, and if you remove the debris from the pick up screen and had the proper level in it, then the noise could possibly go away. The debris would be very concerning because that usually is a fault of the transmission coming apart in its early stages. If you can drop the pan and take a picture of the debris on the magnets, on the pan floor, and on the pick up screen itself I can tell you how far along, the damage is. As far as a kit, there is no kit that’s going to fix the Cvt’s. I have built more than 500 of the Cvt’s and I don’t ever use a kit. The fault is the primary pulley set up is much too weak for this weight of a car. For longevity, it should be swapped to long pin conversion. If you already have damage though the belt would have to be changed along with the pulley and probably the flow control valve. The rest of the transmission is pretty rocksolid unless if you try to drive it for a long time with crappy fluid and metal bits tearing things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abdullah

old tech wrote:Noise from the cvt’s is usually caused by an interruption in proper fluid flow. It could be that you have a lot of debris on the pick up screen, and if you remove the debris from the pick up screen and had the proper level in it, then the noise could possibly go away. The debris would be very concerning because that usually is a fault of the transmission coming apart in its early stages. If you can drop the pan and take a picture of the debris on the magnets, on the pan floor, and on the pick up screen itself I can tell you how far along, the damage is. As far as a kit, there is no kit that’s going to fix the Cvt’s. I have built more than 500 of the Cvt’s and I don’t ever use a kit. The fault is the primary pulley set up is much too weak for this weight of a car. For longevity, it should be swapped to long pin conversion. If you already have damage though the belt would have to be changed along with the pulley and probably the flow control valve. The rest of the transmission is pretty rocksolid unless if you try to drive it for a long time with crappy fluid and metal bits tearing things up.

Hmmm... That means I should go back to the workshop and tell them to remove the pan. That will mean I have to refill the oil correct ?
And should I be driving the vehicle or no ( I am.thinking no )

Abdullah

But I am wondering why did the sound increase after the oil change ?

old tech

level may not be correct. New fluid will end up having a different viscosity and is bound to make a change for the better or worse.
old tech

The CVT fluid is expensive and I would recommend that you drained it into a suitable container and if you’re going to reuse it, run it through a paint filter. . Just a word of caution, do not over, tighten the pan and do not change the composition of the pan gasket. You can reuse the pan gasket typically and if you’re worried about it use a very small bead of silicone gasket maker.

Abdullah

Found out why it was making that noise. When I went back to check, as you suggested, the pan for any particles or shavings..... didn't find any shavings or particles but the oil that was coming out turned white. The mechanic said water or your engine coolant is going into your gearbox. So the mechanic said it was probably coming from the oil cooler/ oil pipes present in the radiator. They have flushed the gearbox. Disconnected the pipes of the gear oil that were going into the radiator.
They said to drive it for a few days, very slowly, and then we will check by opening the pan again to see if there is any residue left and in the meantime we will try to source a new radiator. The sound has reduced by a lot. When you start the vehicle its not there but after driving a few miles it comes back but the intensity has reduced. What are your thoughts @old tech ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

old tech

This problem is a new one for me on a Kizashi that is . I’ve seen it many times on a Toyota though. On your Kizashi for the time being you could bypass the radiator just run it off of the cooler and you would probably be fine as long as it’s not terribly hot where you’re at. I’m interested to know if this radiator in your car what is the original..
Abdullah

Don't know. I think it's the original radiator that came from the factory. Here are the pictures of it ImageImage

old tech

If you can source a used one , that would most likely be fine. I’ve seen brand new on eBay for $100.