inexpensive tire pressure monitors that will work

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
old tech

The tire pressure monitor system on the Kizashi is very picky on the replacement sensor . While most cars had systems that would allow use of almost any brand sensor , The VDO/ Continental system was purposely made to deter you from that . The copy sensors that are sometimes sold that are supposed to work on the Kizashi don’t always work. One time I would buy the sensors aftermarket, and would be an exact copy of the original, and sometimes would work fine and other times would not. I was only able to recommend the original replacement VDO sensors That typically were costing $50 each. While this was quite a savings from the original Suzuki, other brands of cars were able to just buy sensors that cost a quarter of that. I kept a watch for the original replacement sensors part number SE10001HP and I came across a Vender from China that was selling a set of four extremely cheap. I bought these for just over $26 for a set of four and when I receive them this is what they look like.Image
If these are copies, they did a darn good job. Even the brand name VDO is on there. They worked perfectly. I purchased a second set and they come from China so it takes a couple weeks Image
I can’t guarantee that you’ll get the same thing but chances are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

Great find. Given the markings, do you think these are counterfeit or could these actually be the OE part coming from a Chinese vender sourcing from the OE factory? How do they compare to the originals?

I've bought gadgets and such directly from China in the past and came to realize some of the products were name-branded for a fraction of the MSRP or exactly the same thing without the branding. It was apparent some of these Chinese vendors had to be sourcing the products from the actual manufacturing plants but weren't marking them up due to branding. Of course, there is the risk of knock-offs, fakes, etc. but sometimes you get lucky with a vendor.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

I think these are authentic VDO tire pressure monitors. I can only guess that there’s a factory in China that would’ve got an order for maybe 20,000 tire pressure monitors and they made 40,000 of them and just sold them out the back door. They probably don’t have to worry about Copyright and other trade laws.

SamirD

Generally, when there's stuff like this being sold 'direct from china' they're either fakes or basically stolen goods (extra runs made on the manufacturer's line without manufacturer's consent or knowledge). That's why any company manufacturing in china has to stay on top of them like hawks else they will lose their IP, and eventually their entire market share.

It's because of this that generally I will stay away from products like this--because eventually it causes the collapse of the entire R&D and manufacturing process that allows legit products and then we're wading around in the sea of fakes like in the third world (where you rarely can find legit products, and never less than msrp). ymmv and this ime, but I don't want to contribute to that mess and would rather support the companies that make legit products with a 'working wage'. At $50/ea, genuine VDOs are far cheaper than the factory ones, but a set of used ones is even cheaper last I checked. Just not sure how long the batteries would last now that they're getting up there in years.

And lastly, I still have to test it out, but someone has made a tpms bypass box and sent me a sample to try on our car. This is another way around the problem completely as at some point sensors may no longer even be available anywhere.
old tech

While I agree with you 100%, the whole tire pressure monitor system has been pushed on us and forced us to buy tools that we never should’ve had to buy and they’ve used inferior metals for their valve stem which rot out and cause us more problems then they save. The system from the start should have, and could have told you tire placement and pressures for each tire right on the dash. It could have and should have been able to adapt It’s own replacement tire pressure sensor just by installing it and the computer seeing the same sensors for two drive cycles. I don’t feel guilty at all about finding a solution that is cost-effective. No one in their right mind would pay the money that Suzuki would want for the tire pressure monitors and the legit vdo‘s start at $50 on a deal but still, this doesn’t really help me get a system up and working again unless I can actually get it completed at $50 a wheel. That’s what I find with customers in this area. These allow me to do this. Otherwise, they would rather tape over the light.

SamirD

Yep, the Kizashi is the only car besides the wife's Tesla where I have to deal with a TPMS system. I agree it's a pain, and is a complete result of other peoples idiocy because those of us that know safety will check our tires, our brakes, etc, regularly and know where it all stands.

I can sympathize with the financial aspect of the issue, but the day those 'cheap' parts fail, it's going to be like a Boeing airplane accident--very easy to see the root cause. ;)
KuroNekko

For me, I just don't understand why the Kizashi has such an aggressive TPMS warning. It basically takes over the dash while most other cars have a simple orange light on the dash. Suzuki went far too excessive with the warning.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

I agree. You can't see any more information on the info panel once it is orange like that unless you hold down that button, and then it's only for a few seconds before the orange returns. Quite aggressive.
Ohiodriver

old tech wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:04 pm The tire pressure monitor system on the Kizashi is very picky on the replacement sensor . While most cars had systems that would allow use of almost any brand sensor , The VDO/ Continental system was purposely made to deter you from that . The copy sensors that are sometimes sold that are supposed to work on the Kizashi don’t always work. One time I would buy the sensors aftermarket, and would be an exact copy of the original, and sometimes would work fine and other times would not. I was only able to recommend the original replacement VDO sensors That typically were costing $50 each. While this was quite a savings from the original Suzuki, other brands of cars were able to just buy sensors that cost a quarter of that. I kept a watch for the original replacement sensors part number SE10001HP and I came across a Vender from China that was selling a set of four extremely cheap. I bought these for just over $26 for a set of four and when I receive them this is what they look like.Image
If these are copies, they did a darn good job. Even the brand name VDO is on there. They worked perfectly. I purchased a second set and they come from China so it takes a couple weeks Image
I can’t guarantee that you’ll get the same thing but chances are pretty good.

Hey Old Tech. I am a new Kizashi owner. 2011 SLS sport, 126k miles. My tire pressure sensor light is on. It just blinks sometimes. Is this telling me I need air in my tires or a new sensor?

Also, I was wanting to do the CVT inspection and modification I have heard you mention on this forum. And I was wondering the name of your shop or the tech shop in PA I seen mentioned that could do this Kizashi work.

Thank you so much for your time.
SamirD

Ohiodriver wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:02 am Hey Old Tech. I am a new Kizashi owner. 2011 SLS sport, 126k miles. My tire pressure sensor light is on. It just blinks sometimes. Is this telling me I need air in my tires or a new sensor?

Also, I was wanting to do the CVT inspection and modification I have heard you mention on this forum. And I was wondering the name of your shop or the tech shop in PA I seen mentioned that could do this Kizashi work.

Thank you so much for your time.
Welcome to the board! If you haven't already found and downloaded the factory service manual, it's got great information on all the lights and what they mean. 8-) What color is yours? Our SLS Sport is Black. :)