Set/Reset MP3 sort order on USB stick [SOLVED]

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
markus

Hi everyone :)

I'm from Germany and was the very first German to have this amazing car :-) As of now I don't have any problems with it. I've found an 'issue' though that I can't solve by myself. I've bought a Kingston USB stick (4 GB) and copied some MP3 files on it (including a folder structure). There's one folder called 'Song-Mix' where I put songs that are not connected to any album or genre. When I first put the stick into the USB port I got both folder and file number shown on the unit (e.g. 001-001 to 001-174). The file number was alphabetically sorted by the artist which made it (more or less) easy to find the song you want to hear. I keep adding new songs to this folder and unfortunately the sorting is gone. New songs are only 'attached' as 001-175, 001-176 and so on. Is there a possibility to restore the original alphabetical setting somehow?

I've searched the forum but I wasn't able to find any solution. It seems that the Kizashi is somehow caching the filesystem because it always knows where to continue playing the song after I've unplugged and replugged the stick.

Would be nice if someone could give me a helping hint :)

Best regards,
Markus
TheHolyGhost

That's interesting. Is it possible that it is sorted based on the modified date on the file so when you add new files to the flash drive they just get added on to the end?
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
markus

TheHolyGhost wrote:That's interesting. Is it possible that it is sorted based on the modified date on the file so when you add new files to the flash drive they just get added on to the end?
I have tried to set each and every file to 2011/01/01 00:00:00 - same result.

Any other suggestions?
babacu

Try changing the name of the containing folder slightly, see if it makes a difference. Also, when you delete a file from the folder, does it disappear from the list? If so, you can change the file naming convention when you want a re-indexing of the list.

Not optimal, but it could get you going until someone finds a proper solution.

HTH
markus

babacu wrote:Try changing the name of the containing folder slightly, see if it makes a difference. Also, when you delete a file from the folder, does it disappear from the list? If so, you can change the file naming convention when you want a re-indexing of the list.

Not optimal, but it could get you going until someone finds a proper solution.

HTH
i will try numerous things tomorrow - deleting files, changing folder name and the name of the stick itself.

I'll let you know about the results :)
chazyouwin

Here's what I would try doing, given the lack of any other known solution. Copy the entire stick to my computer and resort there. Delete the contents of the stick, then copy the resorted computer contents back to it. This might be impractical for you if you keep adding songs, but with only a 4gb stick and rarely added songs, it might not be.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
markus

Hi everyone :)

I think I've solved the problem. Actually I've tried everything (changing volume label, resetting the file creation date [not the access date!]) - no success. Then I copied the USB stick to my HDD and formatted it and recopied all files to the stick and it suddenly worked. All files were shown properly sorted. The format process also changes the stick's volume serial number so I decided to change it using a tool that I got from the Internet - no success. I didn't have any more ideas on how Kizashi's HiFi system reads the files on the stick. After a bit of googling I found out that this is a very common problem with 'older radios' that had very poor MP3 stick support.

The problem is that these radios simply read the FAT of the stick and access the files through it. No 'manual' sorting by the radio is done. To reset the FAT and the underlying ordering process you can either format the stick and copy everything back (in the correct order!) or you can use some tools that simply browse through each and every folder of the stick and move the files to a temporary directory and afterwards move them back to the original folder. Problem solved. I've tried this and it works. I used the tool DriveSort but any other 'FAT sorter tools' will most likely do their job...

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

Maybe the board admin can add a prefix [SOLVED] to the thread topic so everyone can quickly see that there's a solution in the thread. I wonder why noone had this problem before? You guys are all using iPods, right? :)

Best regards,
Markus
Moto
Site Admin

It is done, but I think you had the power to change it. If you click the edit button on your original post you are able to change the title.

Thanks for helping people out.
markus

Moto wrote:It is done, but I think you had the power to change it. If you click the edit button on your original post you are able to change the title.

Thanks for helping people out.
Hey Moto,

oh I didn't know that I was able to change the topic. Thanks a lot for your help and 'May the Kizashi be with us' :-)

Best regards,
Markus
TheHolyGhost

This is good information, although it's unfortunate that that's the easiest solution. Thanks!
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES