RPM Spiking

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
murcod

That's the issue with most new vehicles, they're getting so complex that if the plug in PC doesn't find the problem then you've usually got no hope of it being fixed. I'm just glad the Kizashi is relatively "simple" compared to some other competitors. (Yes, I've got the manual trans....)
David
gentle_ben

murcod wrote:That's the issue with most new vehicles, they're getting so complex that if the plug in PC doesn't find the problem then you've usually got no hope of it being fixed. I'm just glad the Kizashi is relatively "simple" compared to some other competitors. (Yes, I've got the manual trans....)
I watched a review on the Kizashi on Car & Driver and they basically said this car with the CVT was horrid compared to the manual transmission. I can't say I disagree with them. haha :roll:
coref1

I think horrids a bit severe. I've owned manuals, traditional autos and now the Kizashi with a cvt. The cvt is different and takes a bit to get used too but it's the first transmission I've had with the paddle shifters and semi auto gear shift which I find enjoyable to use on the twisty bits. Probably at least 80% of my driving is done on straight expressways these days so I think on balance the cvt or traditional auto is the best option for me. If your simply driving along with your auto or cvt in drive then I don't think it really matters which one your've got.
gentle_ben

Yeah I was shocked to hear them bash the CVT as well, at that time our car was working well and had no complaints.

I do think the CVT could have been setup better from the factory though, I've driven several different rental cars (most recently a Nissan Altima) with CVT transmissions and I have to say I think they are tuned quite a bit better than the one in the Kizashi. I don't like how in our car the RPM's rev up so high when you get on the gas, and there is a bit of a delay before anything happens acceleration wise. I've had to alter my driving habits in the Kizashi, but the other cars I've driven with CVT's I can drive just like any other car.
coref1 wrote:I think horrids a bit severe. I've owned manuals, traditional autos and now the Kizashi with a cvt. The cvt is different and takes a bit to get used too but it's the first transmission I've had with the paddle shifters and semi auto gear shift which I find enjoyable to use on the twisty bits. Probably at least 80% of my driving is done on straight expressways these days so I think on balance the cvt or traditional auto is the best option for me. If your simply driving along with your auto or cvt in drive then I don't think it really matters which one your've got.
IshaanIan

The Kiz with CVT isn't horrid, but it doesn't use the potential of the car and thus most of us would believe it is a let down. I for one, simply had to have the manual :P
murcod

A "normal" six speed auto would probably have been better. My mum has a new Kia Ria- with the 1.6l direct injection engine and six speed auto- it responds really well to the accelerator. I'm not an auto fan, but the trans in it seemed to do everything I wanted, when I wanted it to.
David
IshaanIan

murcod wrote:A "normal" six speed auto would probably have been better. My mum has a new Kia Ria- with the 1.6l direct injection engine and six speed auto- it responds really well to the accelerator. I'm not an auto fan, but the trans in it seemed to do everything I wanted, when I wanted it to.
You mean a torque converter? :P True it might have been cause you can almost never go wrong with one, but there are several CVTs out there that are pretty good and I would have expected Suzuki to polish theirs a bit too. Also with a naturally aspirated engine that isn't all that modern in terms of the tech used (no direct injection etc), a traditional torque converter unit would translate to even lower FE figures.
gentle_ben

Ok so we have the car back after over 40 days of being in the shop.

They've replaced the transmission, some power module that sends electricity to the TCM and the battery.

Our car has been sitting in their shop this entire time, and I guess from the humidity both our exhaust tips have rusted completely (there was not a spec of rust on them when we dropped it off) they are looking into having them replaced.

It just goes on and on with this car and this dealership.

I called the manager of the dealership (Regent Suzuki formerly Haber Suzuki) and told him the issues of whats been happening to us and our car. He forwarded me to the owner of the dealership John Haber.

I called his personal number and he was not interested in meeting with my wife and I in a timely fashion, so I asked to talk to him on the phone. I gave him the rundown of what we have been through with this car, and his response was and I quote "well I didn't make the car, I don't warranty the car, what does this have to do with me?". I told him that his dealership was representing the company and the car when I purchased it, and I felt he had some responsibility for how his products perform. I told him that I didn't think the car was safe, and that we didn't want it anymore and that we would be happy if they could find us an economical way to get into a different vehicle. His response was that if I wanted a new car I could go and talk to a salesman, that's what their job is to do.

Needless to say, we are done with Suzuki. Both by choice and the fact that they are shutting their dealer network down here anyways. We have 2 years of warranty left, we are going to drive it for a while longer until we can afford to trade it in on something else.

That's pretty much the end of this story. I'll update this thread if I blow another transmission in this car.

Some random bits of information... They put over 1200 km on the car on this repair job alone and refused to extend the warranty even though they were the ones to drive it past the warranty limit on km. They also burned 2 tanks of gas without compensating us, both times leaving it with the fuel light on so we had to limp it to the gas station to fill up.

We've owned this car for 35 months and have had the following replaced:

-Subwoofer
-Stereo head unit
-Backup sensor brackets (x3)
-Transmission control module
-Steering wheel
-Transmission oil pan (updated one from newer Kizashi)
-Transmission (x3)
-Exhaust tips (x2)
-Battery

They have given me invoices most of the time, but I haven't always hung onto them. Best guess at total costs for the list above is roughly $38,000 not including the several months worth of rental cars they've arranged for us.
KuroNekko

So sorry to hear that the Kizashi has been a disaster for you. Sounds like your dealer is also just as bad as the car, if not worse.
I'd like to convince you that the car in general is good, but I guess you have no reason to believe me. I believe you must just got a lemon and/or perhaps the dealership abuses your car while they have it.

I've bought my car used and have had zero issues with it. It has not seen a dealer or any mechanic since registration inspection as I do all my own maintenance. I do have a manual transmission though and it doesn't get more reliable than that.

Best of luck with the car and when you unload it, let us know what you end up with.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

Yes, the dealer can make or break the new car experience. That guy's attitude sucks and I can't help but think the attitude of his workers would also be poorly influenced by him.

Hope all goes well and your next vehicle works out better.
David