114 days; Part II

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

nytq wrote:

I do get flickering on my cheapo HID's used on the FOG's. My Low's have the next level up on price (they are designated as digital) and they don't flicker at all. The only thing I notice with both is a warming up phase, about 5 seconds when cold before you see full strength.

I don't see dimming or flickering on the LED bulbs around the car. All exterior bulbs are led (except the side turning signals)
My low beam HIDs didn't flicker for a while, but started flickering only at idle after about a year. These are Morimotos with the HD Relay that draws power directly from the battery. I contacted TRS (the vendor) and they stated the symptoms align with low idle voltage. I also did research on it and the same thing was concluded. Now that I think of it, these flickering symptoms may have come about since I installed my dash cam.
The Kizashi also had this issue with the high beam/DRL LED kit I had a few years back. The different vendor I got them from also stated the Kizashi's low voltage, pulsating DRL system is to blame. I then got capacitors but that made the DRLs operate like high beams all the time. However, the capacitors proved that they work in stabilizing the low voltage at idle. I still have the capacitors so I'm going to install them for my HIDs to see if that helps. It's a suggestion TRS also made.

You probably don't see flickering on the various LEDs in your car because they operate on very low wattage. My car's entire interior has LED bulbs and I have no issues with them, but they require minimal wattage to operate. It's the higher wattage lights that will be more sensitive so you'll more likely see voltage issues in low beams, high beams, and brake lights.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
nytq

KuroNekko wrote:
nytq wrote:

I do get flickering on my cheapo HID's used on the FOG's. My Low's have the next level up on price (they are designated as digital) and they don't flicker at all. The only thing I notice with both is a warming up phase, about 5 seconds when cold before you see full strength.

I don't see dimming or flickering on the LED bulbs around the car. All exterior bulbs are led (except the side turning signals)
My low beam HIDs didn't flicker for a while, but started flickering only at idle after about a year. These are Morimotos with the HD Relay that draws power directly from the battery. I contacted TRS (the vendor) and they stated the symptoms align with low idle voltage. I also did research on it and the same thing was concluded. Now that I think of it, these flickering symptoms may have come about since I installed my dash cam.
The Kizashi also had this issue with the high beam/DRL LED kit I had a few years back. The different vendor I got them from also stated the Kizashi's low voltage, pulsating DRL system is to blame. I then got capacitors but that made the DRLs operate like high beams all the time. However, the capacitors proved that they work in stabilizing the low voltage at idle. I still have the capacitors so I'm going to install them for my HIDs to see if that helps. It's a suggestion TRS also made.

You probably don't see flickering on the various LEDs in your car because they operate on very low wattage. My car's entire interior has LED bulbs and I have no issues with them, but they require minimal wattage to operate. It's the higher wattage lights that will be more sensitive so you'll more likely see voltage issues in low beams, high beams, and brake lights.
What voltage do you get at idle?

My HID's are spec'd to operate from 9VDC-18VDC. I did see massive flickering when I tried them in the high beam's, but that because those drop to close to the threshold if not below when in DRL mode.

If your car is idling anywhere below 12VDC then something is wrong. I don't mean a intermittent drop, say caused by an attempted stall.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
WESHOOT2

There are folks who spend money 'fixing up' their ride, and there are people who simply spend all that money on gas........

KuroNekko

nytq wrote:
What voltage do you get at idle?

My HID's are spec'd to operate from 9VDC-18VDC. I did see massive flickering when I tried them in the high beam's, but that because those drop to close to the threshold if not below when in DRL mode.

If your car is idling anywhere below 12VDC then something is wrong. I don't mean a intermittent drop, say caused by an attempted stall.
I haven't tested the voltage at idle yet. I believe my HIDs are spec'ed to operate at DC 9-32V given that's what's listed for the kit by TRS, but "operating" may include flickering. Also, the Kizashi's DRLs apparently use a pulsed voltage system so that's why only halogens can be used without flickering. I'm going to install capacitors for the HIDs which should help stabilize things. It may even be that one of my harnesses or grounds is loose given the flickering started a while after I installed my HID kit. My other theory is that my accessories like my phone charger, dash cam, and stereo are drawing too much power as they are often simultaneously used. However, I'm no electrical engineer so I'm not really certain.
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote:There are folks who spend money 'fixing up' their ride, and there are people who simply spend all that money on gas........
I've had "use and abuse" vehicles like my Impreza and Sidekick in the past. However, I like taking care of my Kizashi and putting in the effort and money I didn't bother with in my former cars. Plus, the geek in me likes playing with things like HID kits and LEDs.
:geek:
WESHOOT2

I appreciate 'geek', as I am a tire-, handgun ammo-, and Kizashi-driving geek.

WESHOOT2

Waaaa...........WAAAAAAAAAA.....screech....WAAAAAAAAAA!

Know what I mean?
Last tank Mobil premium 24.6 MPG.
See above.

Ronzuki

Yes, yes I do....is it possible you could enjoy the thrill of the car anymore than you are?
Had a little fun this morning on a black ice parking lot.... AWD ON, trac control OFF....wweeeeeeeeee
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

Maniacal driving continues. I enjoy it.

Last tank mostly Mobil premium 25.5 MPG.

WESHOOT2

To more properly explain my enjoyment, I've owned my AWD GTS Sport since July 21, 2015.

I've added 24,090 miles since I drove it away.
That's 198 days.
That's an average of 121.66 miles per day.

One of the main reasons I moved to Vermont is for the driving opportunities. Awesome roads, little traffic, soul-soothing scenery.