Would current owners recommend buying a Kizashi?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Ronzuki

The Kizashi is the 'luxury' sport sedan that you can afford to keep, vs. the aforementioned German models you'd be wise to lease and ditch after 2-3 years before the ridiculous maintenance expenses kick in.

Also forgot to mention in my $0.02 that the one I'd hunt down in AWD (CVT) would have to be a GTS or SLS in order to posses the mandatory (for me) paddle shifters.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
DiggerDerrik

I am the original owner of mine. 140,300 miles now. Nothing has failed on the car outside of headlights. Even the brake pads I replaced about 30k miles ago still had life. I was rear ended about 1.5 years ago (best guess is the car was going 25mph) and mechanically the car was unaffected.

The Kizashi is the best car no one has ever heard of.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
OliverB

There's a manual transmission SLS for sale in Toronto right now. Too bad I can't justify having 3 cars because I would definitely drive the 700 kilometers to go check it out. I think you have more chances of coming across a Bugatti on this side of the border during winter than getting to see a MT/SLS :facepalm: .
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
seetharr

Thank you all again. For those who had issues with their CVT’s, was it covered within the warranty? Or in your specific case, did you have to pay out of pocket even though warranty had not expired via date/mileage?

seetharr
Ronzuki

If it's under warranty, it gets fixed. Well, usually replaced. I haven't heard of anyone complain that a dead trans was never replaced under warranty, unless, said vehicle was sold brand new as fleet vehicle. Then the warranty period was severely limited.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

seetharr wrote:Thank you all again. For those who had issues with their CVT’s, was it covered within the warranty? Or in your specific case, did you have to pay out of pocket even though warranty had not expired via date/mileage?

seetharr
Just keep in mind that most Kizashis are now out of warranty given that the powertrain warranty covered the vehicle for 7 years/100,000 miles from the date of original purchase. Now factor in that the Kizashi was sold in the United States (where you live) from model years 2010 to 2013. Any way you look at it, most used Kizashis at this point will either have an expired powertrain warranty or are soon-to-be expired.

Also keep in mind that the Kizashi was equipped in the following manner: all AWD models have CVTs. All manual transmission models are only FWD. There are some FWD CVT models. Your preferences in AWD vs. manual transmission will give you a sense of how rare your ideal car will be to find. Given you live in California, you are likely more flexible with the drivetrain than many others who were mainly interested in the Kizashi for the available AWD.

If ultimate reliability and longevity is a goal with the Kizashi, there is no question that the manual transmission model is the one to get. That being said, the CVT in the Kizashi isn't prone to failure. It's just that more and more are starting to fail from high mileage and the ill-advised maintenance claim of the CVT fluid.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
seetharr

Yet another round of thank y’all so much for taking the time to help me out.

I did happen to see and test drive a CVT today. I did not notice any blatant transmission/engine issues. Ride quality was good with no rattles, creaks, etc. from interior. Everything seemed smooth. It’s a 2013 (forgot to ask what was actual date of sale) and there’s > 24K miles left on the warranty. Maintenance paperwork shown to me indicated there was no historical powertrain drama.

The only real exterior cosmetic issue was a bit of delamination of the trim on driver’s side doors (at end of driver’s door and start of passenger door) right below the windows.

All in all the car itself was good. Just not sure about post 7/100,000. I’m hesitant on the purchase due to any subsequent repairs/maintenance as I hear parts overall will be a bit pricey with them having to come from overseas resulting in higher overall costs. Is this a valid concern?

However, I do like the true uniqueness about the Kizashi (Ferrari’s, Lambo’s, Bugatti’s, etc are all much more commonplace around here).

seetharr
KuroNekko

seetharr wrote:Yet another round of thank y’all so much for taking the time to help me out.

I did happen to see and test drive a CVT today. I did not notice any blatant transmission/engine issues. Ride quality was good with no rattles, creaks, etc. from interior. Everything seemed smooth. It’s a 2013 (forgot to ask what was actual date of sale) and there’s > 24K miles left on the warranty. Maintenance paperwork shown to me indicated there was no historical powertrain drama.

The only real exterior cosmetic issue was a bit of delamination of the trim on driver’s side doors (at end of driver’s door and start of passenger door) right below the windows.

All in all the car itself was good. Just not sure about post 7/100,000. I’m hesitant on the purchase due to any subsequent repairs/maintenance as I hear parts overall will be a bit pricey with them having to come from overseas resulting in higher overall costs. Is this a valid concern?

However, I do like the true uniqueness about the Kizashi (Ferrari’s, Lambo’s, Bugatti’s, etc are all much more commonplace around here).

seetharr
While parts are certainly harder to find, the good thing is that the Kizashi isn't prone to problems that require specific parts. Mine has run mostly on maintenance only other than warranty rear shock replacement and I have only seen a dealer twice since I got mine in 2012. An ignition coil failed this year and I got one on RockAuto.com easily to replace it. Rockauto.com has all the maintenance parts you need. There are some Suzuki specific parts sites around too. In my opinion, most people who needed Kizashi-specific parts thus far needed replacement parts following some kind of physical (impact) damage.

If the price is right, that Kizashi might be perfect for you. Certainly get a good deal on it given the orphan status and dismal resale value.
seetharr

@KuroNekko

Thank you so much for the honest, valuable insight. I’m still in the consideration phase with the Kizashi and other possibilities.

Yes, I can see your point about orphan status and high potential of dismal resale value. So yeah, if I take the plunge then it’s because I like the car now (good fit) and will take care of it (“in sickness and in health”) for quite a few years to come.

I can definitely use this as leverage if I decide to negotiate a deal.

Thanks again bro.

seetharr
KuroNekko

seetharr wrote: It’s a 2013 (forgot to ask what was actual date of sale)
seetharr
If the seller doesn't know, call Suzuki corporate. They can tell you the original purchase date by VIN and which of the 3 warranties are still in effect (complete, powertrain, and emission warranty).