Question on airbag deployment

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Moto
Site Admin

That is probably one of the dumbest laws I have ever seen. The type of people who back over things are still going to do it if they have a camera in the rear end of the car or not.

May save 146 lives a year? That is probably the total number of people killed getting backed over in a year. I can think of three times locally in my life when I remember this happening. One was a mother that was high(not charged with anything still has her other kids), and the other two were industrial trucks and someone was standing where they shouldn't have been. Cameras likely will not fix those kind of accidents.

If they are really that worried about it they could just take the volvo approach and use sensors that stop the car. It would probably cost less or about the same as a camera.
Ronzuki

Agreed (the books are full of stupid laws). We have kids, my neighbors all had kids....they were all TAUGHT, and constantly reminded, to pay attention and stay the heck away from vehicles when they were coming in to or exiting the driveways and garages. More technology equals more stupidity. So what then when the technology fails or isn't present? Jr gets used to running around behind cars because he 'learned' the car will stop by itself no problem. Then Jr decides to run around behind a car that doesn't have the technology....then guess what happens. Learned behavior.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
suzukidriver

The passenger seat Warning Light on. That is caused by a spring hook (ground I presume) under the seat that has become disconnected. When hooked back on to seat frame the Warning Light goes off. Would this also cause unwarranted deployment?
I severely rear ended a vehicle in front of me. I'm convinced it happened because the driver's airbag went off while I was driving causing me to floor it. The passenger bag did not deploy even though a backpack was sitting on seat, I hadn't reconnected the ground hook for a while. At that speed, and with weight on seat, that airbag should have also deployed. I have no memory of impact, I think because of concussion and so I can't be my own witness.
I noticed another case of a driver's :idea: :idea: airbag deploying while driving on PistonHeads but the post has since been removed. Are there any other reports of deployment of driver's bag while driving a Suzuki SX4 2007 .
KuroNekko

suzukidriver wrote:The passenger seat Warning Light on. That is caused by a spring hook (ground I presume) under the seat that has become disconnected. When hooked back on to seat frame the Warning Light goes off. Would this also cause unwarranted deployment?
I severely rear ended a vehicle in front of me. I'm convinced it happened because the driver's airbag went off while I was driving causing me to floor it. The passenger bag did not deploy even though a backpack was sitting on seat, I hadn't reconnected the ground hook for a while. At that speed, and with weight on seat, that airbag should have also deployed. I have no memory of impact, I think because of concussion and so I can't be my own witness.
I noticed another case of a driver's :idea: :idea: airbag deploying while driving on PistonHeads but the post has since been removed. Are there any other reports of deployment of driver's bag while driving a Suzuki SX4 2007 .
Sounds like you have an SX4 instead of a Kizashi. Due to that, look into the recall that was around the passenger airbag warning light for the SX4. It was announced a few years ago and while it didn't apply to the Kizashi, I believe the SX4 was an affected vehicle.

Also, you should know that the warning light essentially works to disable the passenger airbag deployment based on weight. It works in a manner like this:
No front passenger: Airbag on by default (some cars allow you to turn it off or on)
Front passenger approximately 100 lbs or under: Disable front passenger airbag. When this happens, the light is ON.
Front passenger over 100 lbs: Front passenger airbag enabled. The light is OFF.

The airbag turns on or off based on weight detection to prevent deployment on passengers who are at-risk with airbags. Smaller/shorter women and children actually have a risk of serious neck injury with airbags so it's safer not to deploy if the front passenger is too lightweight. However, the system isn't necessary turned on or off by things like a backpack on the front passenger seat. That's too lightweight to make a difference. You need something over 50 lbs and under approximately 100 lbs to engage the system.

While I have doubts your airbags deployed spontaneously and caused your accident, your car does seem subject to the matter you were describing about the faulty airbag sensor. In fact, I found the recall notice:
http://www.suzukiauto.com/~/media/Auto/ ... %20VD.ashx
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: Sounds like you have an SX4 instead of a Kizashi. Due to that, look into the recall that was around the passenger airbag warning light for the SX4. It was announced a few years ago and while it didn't apply to the Kizashi, I believe the SX4 was an affected vehicle.
Yes, it was an SX4 thing (had ours taken care of) and should have been issued for the Kizashi as well IMHO for the sake of those who are super safety conscious. I have pictures of both my skinny, light-weight adult daughter and wife sitting in the pass seat the Pass Airbag deactivated. Dealer at the time wasn't interested in doing anything about it because: a) there wasn't anything from ASMC issued for the K and b) the 'puter wasn't 'saying' there were any problems. :roll: I didn't pursue it since I'm in the car 99.9 % of the time by myself and really didn't/don't care about it. It happens occasionally when I throw my laptop bag in on the seat and I have it loaded up, more than usual, with drawings and a few tools.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
BLyons

Mine does it all the time with nothing more than a sweatshirt on the seat, and on sunny days it will do it with nothing at all on the seat.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: I have pictures of both my skinny, light-weight adult daughter and wife sitting in the pass seat the Pass Airbag deactivated.
It's my understanding that this is how it's supposed to work. If the front pass seat occupant is under around 120 lbs, it will turn OFF the airbag and the light will illuminate to notify that the airbag deployment is OFF. It's odd but the light coming on means the airbag is off.

My GF and I made a joke out of the warning light in that it's an indicator of when she should go on a diet or not given she would sometimes cause the light to go on and other times not.

My former Mazda3's front passenger airbag indicator worked the same way. I can't speak for your Kizashi but mine seems to be working properly in this regard.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)