Saying goodbye to Kiza

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Noxera

So, after nearly 5 years of driving my baby Kiza around, I've finally come to the decision to sell her.

I am disappointed that I feel the need to, considering I bought a Kizashi with the purpose of keeping it around for 8+ years, but I'm finding that every time I reach for the pedal, the power I want to find there just isn't. It was my first car, and an exceptionally reliable one at that, but just not what I'm looking for anymore. Especially considering I live with someone who drives a VW 2L Turbo Jetta AND a Mitsubishi Evo 8.

I've checked out the new Honda Civics, Mazda 3, Hyundai i30N and Subie Rexies 8-) , and all signs are pointing towards the Rex.

I have a friend who is looking for a car and he's expressed interest in test driving my Kiza ( and possibly buy her), so hopefully I'll still get to see her around town.

It's been fun, guys, but I think it's time for me to move forward.
KuroNekko

The only vehicle you've mentioned that is worth letting go of the Kizashi for is the WRX, especially given your desire for performance. While the Civic and Mazda3 are fine vehicles, they won't be that satisfying in the performance department over the Kizashi. In fact, the Kizashi is the better cruiser among them all given it's a substantially more refined vehicle by inherent design and purpose.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
motosonic

KuroNekko wrote:The only vehicle you've mentioned that is worth letting go of the Kizashi for is the WRX, especially given your desire for performance. While the Civic and Mazda3 are fine vehicles, they won't be that satisfying in the performance department over the Kizashi. In fact, the Kizashi is the better cruiser among them all given it's a substantially more refined vehicle by inherent design and purpose.
I concur. Although, I feel like Subaru gets away with murder every time they sell a WRX considering it's just an impreza. lol I personally can't imagine spending that on an Impreza, but, to each their own.

With that Said, the Mazda is straight Junk. I test drove several of them before I bought my Kiz and again last year when we were car shopping.. The 'infotainment' system is straight up flimsy and feels like it's going to snap every time you touch it.

Good luck with your search and whatever you choose!
WESHOOT2

(Alfa Romeo whispering "try me"....)
KuroNekko

motosonic wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:The only vehicle you've mentioned that is worth letting go of the Kizashi for is the WRX, especially given your desire for performance. While the Civic and Mazda3 are fine vehicles, they won't be that satisfying in the performance department over the Kizashi. In fact, the Kizashi is the better cruiser among them all given it's a substantially more refined vehicle by inherent design and purpose.
I concur. Although, I feel like Subaru gets away with murder every time they sell a WRX considering it's just an impreza. lol I personally can't imagine spending that on an Impreza, but, to each their own.

With that Said, the Mazda is straight Junk. I test drove several of them before I bought my Kiz and again last year when we were car shopping.. The 'infotainment' system is straight up flimsy and feels like it's going to snap every time you touch it.

Good luck with your search and whatever you choose!
Actually, I don't agree with either of your points. First, the WRX isn't really an Impreza anymore. They differentiated several years ago and that's when Subaru stopped calling it the "Impreza WRX" like it used to be called in the past and just named it "WRX". The WRX has a modified chassis and different suspension, engine (obvious), and transmissions from the Impreza models. While they may be similar in looks and styling, they aren't very similar where it matters.

Also, the Mazda3 is probably the best standard compact one can buy. Ever since Mazda separated with Ford and released their SkyActiv models, their quality and reliability skyrocketed. Even the first generation Mazda3's are much better to drive than everything else in their competition even if the reliability isn't as good as Honda or Toyota. If anything, it's Subaru that tanked in quality recently, not Mazda. Subarus used to be great but since the 2000's, they've had some real quality issues. The EJ25 engines had notoriously bad head gaskets that easily blew at low mileage. There's a reason you don't see many high mileage EJ25-powered models on the road. Then came the FB engines that burned excessive oil. Models with the turbocharged FA engines like the WRX have average reliability at best. While Subaru benefits from the reputation of reliability and longevity, it was really their early/mid-90's models that earned it. The modern ones are nowhere as good and will not last as long with major issues like bad head gaskets and excessive oil consumption. In fact, Subaru's overpriced resale value and questionable reliability factored in greatly in why I replaced my '95 Impreza with a '07 Mazda3 instead of a used Subaru. When it came time to replace the Mazda, I skipped over Subaru again to get myself the Kizashi. No regrets.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

motosonic wrote: With that Said, the Mazda is straight Junk. I test drove several of them before I bought my Kiz and again last year when we were car shopping.. The 'infotainment' system is straight up flimsy and feels like it's going to snap every time you touch it.
While a Mazda anything is no Kizashi, which as we all know was a radical departure from the Suzuki norm and dare I say one time phenom in the automotive world, as far as ride quality and handling are concerned, that used 2013 Mazda 6 I test drove for my daughter years ago was a very solid and refined car. And that was an eye-opener for me to the brand. Drove a 2018 Mazda3 prior to purchasing the 2018 CX5. Loved the Mazda3, but wanted one vehicle in the herd with a wee bit more carrying capacity to take the place of the Heep. Otherwise I'd likely have gone w/ a loaded 3. I'm not defending nor promoting Mazda here in any way, jury is still out (way out) on long term ownership for me, but so far so good. Maybe, just maybe, Mazda will become my go-to brand as Suzuki always was for me.

Not sure what exactly your beef is with the car's entertainment system, seems solid enough to me for something I would tend to try and find lots wrong with since I don't even want the damn thing in the car. Screen placement is up high which if you have to have one, up higher on/above the dash is far better than in the dash. Sigh...once again, the masses decreeing the quality of an automobile, a transportation device, based upon a lousy infotainment system. To call it an 'info'tainment system is also a stretch as it informs me of practically nothing about the car's many systems that I care to know about. Individual tire pressure would be nice, since I'm sure the car knows that. Hell even the Heep gave me that much w/ its cryptic HUD.

I fear the days of a driver's car are soon to be over. Sigh, just get used to it I suppose. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to sitting in the box and putzing along like I've been lobotomized. Between the traffic and the half-assed automation attempting to do everything for me, I suppose a rock-solid mind-numbing entertainment system is all that'll be left to the act of driving. Because, ya know, that's what ALL the consumers supposedly want.

Spend more build money on that crap and less on what makes a car a car and you get the Subaru results Kuro speaks of. Only so much money that can be allocated per vehicle build and have any hope it will sell and at a profit.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

Until a viable alternative comes along I'll be driving my Kizashi. And enjoying the crap outta it.

I recently found out one cannot fully disable the TC/VSC on the Alfa -- off the list........

So hoping the (finally) fully new WRX offers a tranny for gimps :roll:
motosonic

My apologies, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to hate on the Mazda. It's an ok car, but the times I drove it, I just wasn't impressed at all. Just my opinion. I was merely trying to say that in a comparison between the mentioned vehicles, I don't really feel it stacks up.. Sometimes my Jarhead mouth takes over and leaves tact behind, lol. I get the point about how the WRX isn't really an Impreza anymore.. but, We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. LOL If I'm going to drop that kinda cash on a vehicle, I feel like I'd want something either more capable, like a Wrangler or something more luxurious. Because to me, that's a lot of money to drop on a car and frankly it doesn't 'feel' like a car that's demanding that kind of money. But, I've been told I have unusual taste.
Ronzuki

Go for luxurious...now a Wrangler = straight up junk. Capable, maybe. Reliable, not. Over-priced garbage...ding-ding-ding!

No worries on the Mazda hate (er whatever) either...I was just sayin' I don't think it's all that bad a brand today. As far as WESHOOT's choices go, nothing in this day-n-age is going to satisfy I'm afraid. I agree with you though, Mazda is simply 'OK'. No Kizashi for sure. As long as it's reliable, as all of my zuks have been for me, I'll be satisfied...for now.

Can't wait for this crappy sloppy weather to subside so I can :drive: my Kizashi in a salt-free environment. Been sittin' in the gay-rodge for waay too long.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

I await Mazda's 3 AWD big-motor sedan.......