114 Days: Pt III (3rd time's a charm)

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Ronzuki

It's the 'plus labor' part that's usually the killer...but you have a pretty decent and reasonable place to deal with as I recall.

Still workin' and keepin' the critical businesses' schtuff functionin'...we keep our distances from one another in the office and shop. Lots of sq ft per body in the facility. Everyone is healthy thus far and committed to stay that way as long as possible.

You be safe as well Tim.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:It's the 'plus labor' part that's usually the killer...but you have a pretty decent and reasonable place to deal with as I recall.

Still workin' and keepin' the critical businesses' schtuff functionin'...we keep our distances from one another in the office and shop. Lots of sq ft per body in the facility. Everyone is healthy thus far and committed to stay that way as long as possible.

You be safe as well Tim.
I guess it's still nice that one can drive in most cases and gasoline prices have fallen greatly. It's just destinations are no longer accessible in many cases but the drive itself should be. Getting gas is also risky given pump handles are filthy. Another tick for EV superiority?
I'm still driving the Kizashi to work everyday as an "essential" government worker but field work has largely been postponed unless necessary with no alternatives. I volunteered to be part of the "skeleton crew" at the office given more than half are teleworking. I'm a low-risk "young" guy who lives alone with 3 pets and my commute is less than a mile.
COVID-19 is quite terrible to people, their livelihoods, and the economy. I'm really hoping it fizzles out as the weather gets warmer given viruses don't do too well in warmer weather.
On the flip side, I must say I'm digging the wide open 8 lane So Cal freeways which you just about never see. I was also at LAX, one of the world's busiest airports, last week and that place was like a ghost town. Weird times.
Stay safe, everyone.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

The warmer weather has little effect on this thing based on reports. Plenty of hot places around the globe, even weeks ago, where it's still alive and well. This thing could easily stay with us just like the flu, so we're just going to have to get used to it and deal with it. Keep on keepin' on until when/if a vaccine arrives. Or, stay home in the bubble for the rest of our lives. I'd wager when the money required to simply exist is all gone, 'things' will change rather quickly... like it or not, want to or not. What happens in the fall when it cranks up again? We gonna shut the world off for the entire virus season? Might as well dig a hole now, jump in, and bury yourself.

We need to get back to work as a country asap. Lest the economic destruction in the aftermath of covid be 100x worse than the virus itself. Our backlog here is dwindling extremely fast. Hanging around waiting for the critical-systems fires to pop up and stomp out isn't gonna keep the lights on very long. We need the new business flowing in that only a functioning economy can generate. If not, that'll put a serious hurtin' on my not terribly far off retirement's financial plans. Hopefully most of you were mostly risk-off and mostly out of the market before this mess cranked up. The virus was the spark which started the fire that was anticipated, unfortunately probably the worst spark imaginable...more like an accelerant.

Gas pump handles are no different then every other handle, or thing, you'll ever encounter in a public space. Nothing a napkin out of the glove box can't handle. I've noticed a slow but steady uptick in the traffic during both morning and evening daily commutes even more so since der Fuhrer and Cousin It have ordered we must all stay home.

Haven't been in one during this mess, but I suspect airports are very likely as they were first week of flying after 9/11 based upon my co-worker's commercial pilot friend. Some of one of my customer's techs we support in the field have been traveling around to various treatment plants and food production facilities. It was glorious traveling, the empty airports and planes that is, traveling 6 people on a plane (maybe), quiet, relaxing...didn't last long though. But this virus mess, this i's a whole different ball o-wax. Many things are forever altered I'm afraid.
Ron

KuroNekko

The weather will certainly have an effect, at least for the virus itself. The coronavirus is rather structurally weak, as many viruses are. The coronavirus is known to not survive exposure too long. In fact, UV radiation from the sun is how nature keeps viruses in check. Also, pick up a can of Lysol (if you can find one these days!) and read the back. A commercial grade can of Lysol explicitly states it will kill the Human Coronavirus in 30 seconds. It takes the same product about 2 minutes to kill most bacteria. Ever notice that bacteria thrive in warmer climates and not much in the cold? It's the opposite for viruses hence flu season is typically from November up to May... which coincides with COVID-19, having its origins in China from November of 2019. This is again why the summer heat and more sun exposure (UV) is likely going to slow the coronavirus down, hopefully zapping it on things like door and gas pump handles in the sun thus reducing the occurrence of human infection.
While of course I expect to see COVID-19 cases throughout the year, the virus will likely lose steam over the summer and cases will decline. It will likely re-surge in the fall of this year. Hopefully, by then, we will all be better prepared in every way.
While I don't mean to minimize the current situation, I have hopes the economy will be back on track in a matter of weeks as the weather gets warmer. I understand why scientists, especially medical experts, are cautious but there is scientific precedent in these things, especially in nature from which they derive. Now if only people stop eating weird shit like bats and pangolins...
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

coughs in fukChina:

Gas mileage has gone way up 'cause it's warmer, and I been goin' slow. Real slow. 61mph max slow. No dirt poundin' slow. No 'in a hurry' slow.
Slow.

And premium gas dropped from $3.20 down to $2.58 per, so there's that.

Just waitin' to see how things progress before dumpin' $$$ into fixin's Just so I can go fast again...... :facepalm:

Ronzuki

Strange and uncertain times aye? Goin' slow that is...

China's winning the war of global dominance without ever having fired a single shot. Wonder at what point "we" learn that fact? :roll: When our first language is Mandarin? :?
Ron

WESHOOT2

Strange and uncertain times aye? Goin' slow that is...

It is incredibly difficult for me to go slow on paved roads. I miss wilding on our so-many un-paved opportunities.

As far as China, I believe they have miscalculated on a global scale.
WESHOOT2

Last tank(s) Gulf premium mixed with 5g of regular netted 29.8MPG.
Good.
But SOOOOO slow.

WESHOOT2

Kinda bummed; yesterday I missed seeing (again) the odo at 123,456.
'Cause I was DRIVIN'.

WESHOOT2

Last tank Gulf reg 29.4MPG; goin' slow has its benefits. But I hear knock occasionally, and it's a wee bit draggy going uphill under cruise control.