Safety Recall - Spiders round 2

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KlutzNinja

I’ll call the rep next week to ask him if his tech has encountered any cracked tanks so far.

In my case, everything seemed fine but one of the canisters ended up needing replacement. The rep said it was the smaller one, I think. He said it weighed more than a new one, which I guess meant it was retaining a bit of whatever goes through it. I’ve only put a few dozen miles on my car since the fix, but so far so good.

The new faux leather seat, on the other hand, is certainly calling attention to itself. It definitely looks different from the original leather seat and it has an odd smell. Part of the difference in appearance is it being brand new and my seats being 8 years old. The white stitching looks nice and new but the sheen of the pleather doesn’t match the leather’s. And the shape of the cushion seems to be different to a degree as well. It’s more squishy and rubbery feeling than cowhide. It’s not bad but it feels weird basically having two different seats up front. I’ll try to post a comparison picture later.

Time needed to complete both recalls (done by one tech) was between 5.5 and 6 hours.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Ronzuki

I agree, one guy doing the same fix is outstanding...and rare. Hopefully, because of that fact, you will have success with the recall work and experience no injected issues resulting from the operation. Today, I repaired a botched body shop repair job on my son's 2014 Terrain's pass side headlamp that they had 'repaired'. The morond used the wrong bulb causing current problems (heat" which melted the low-beam bulbs socket. They, of course broke the bumpers retaining clips, used some kind of epoxy and in general, 'professionally' made a frigging mess out of the entire process.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Woodie

KlutzNinja wrote:The new faux leather seat, on the other hand, is certainly calling attention to itself. It definitely looks different from the original leather seat and it has an odd smell. Part of the difference in appearance is it being brand new and my seats being 8 years old. The white stitching looks nice and new but the sheen of the pleather doesn’t match the leather’s. And the shape of the cushion seems to be different to a degree as well. It’s more squishy and rubbery feeling than cowhide. It’s not bad but it feels weird basically having two different seats up front. I’ll try to post a comparison picture later.
There's a good reason to not have that recall done either.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KlutzNinja

Woodie wrote: There's a good reason to not have that recall done either.
Lucky for me I hardly have anyone else in my car :lol:.

In my case, the warning chime about the passenger airbag being armed, or whatever it was, drove me nuts. On hot days it’s worse and sometimes it would happen several times consecutively. I think this was caused by the seat flaw that was recalled. It wasn’t a big issue in colder climates, for some reason. I suppose one could try playing with the fuse box to disarm the alert, but I have no expertise in that sort of thing.
KuroNekko

I don't really want to do this recall but I will given I actually drive on dirt roads from time to time and because my exhaust system has a slight rattle that I'm sure will be addressed when the tech has to remove the exhaust components for the recall work. California also apparently blocks registration renewals for vehicles with ignored outstanding recalls.

While I'm with many of you about people not messing with my car, the reality is that these cars aren't so new anymore and some issues are starting to pop up. My mindset has started to shift away from keeping the car obsessively pristine to keeping it properly serviced for reliable and worry-free operation down the line. Yeah, it definitely sucks that the quality of work depends on the tech you get.

All of this gas tank nonsense has also added more reason for me to eventually replace the Kizashi with an EV though the most convincing reason for that was my recent extended test drive of a Tesla Model 3. My friend owns one she bought late last year and let me drive it for about 45 minutes in conditions ranging from surface streets to on the freeway at 90 MPH. I'll post on that experience separately later.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

So I kept forgetting to call the service center back about the fuel tank recall and if any of the original replaced tanks had the defects OT asked about. I just called a moment ago and the service advisor said that there have not been any defective fuel tanks so far at his center, of the 50+ they have replaced.

As for the replacement seat, I realize now that it looks different from my original seats because the leather on the seat shrunk, as was mentioned somewhere. When I saw pics of the leather version when new, the pleather replacement does look pretty similar. I kinda wish they replaced the driver’s seat as well so they would match :lol:.

And while I said I would post pictures here of the replacement, I ended up doing that in the newer thread specifically about the seat recall.
AirRideFan

Ronzuki wrote:
Well if one must have this done, I'd show up for the appointment armed with the procedure doc linked in post #27 along w/ OldTech's pictures of what a 'fixed' hack-job looks like. Clearly explain, if this is what the pump's condition is at the time they remove it, I'd expect to be notified to make the call on how to proceed. Make it perfectly clear they need to follow the procedure to the letter and be certain they have ALL of the required parts (many) and remind them they need to actually use, and install, them all properly. They would be left with the distinct impression I am deeply informed of what's involved, and I'd be making it perfectly clear I'm not not expecting half-assed work. Personally, I'd want to see all of the parts, every single one, (including the required canister btw), before I even left the car and walked out the door. I'd also require them to save everything that was replaced so I could inspect it all before they dispose of it. The condition of what was removed will provide and idea of what possible future issues may arise. Dealers have a nasty habit of not following manufacturers recommended service procedures, which often require replacing certain parts such as nuts and bolts that are one-time use items. Be informed that is the case w/ this repair. They cut corners to save time and money for themselves. Before I walked out the door, there would be zero doubt in the service manager's mind that an ill-advised hack-job wouldn't go over real well. Expectations...I'd simply say it has zero problems right now, before you start in on it, and I expect zero problems when you're finished. Expectations, make it clear. They'll try to cut corners and make extra warranty dollars. They'd be convinced … not a good idea...make it up on the next guy, not me.
So, I'm here in Pennsylvania... and got about 4 letters concerning the 'fuel tank may crack' recall. I'm not exactly sure which dealer would be performing the it, but I think I WOULD like to have it done. Also---- I'm not sure if my 2012 Kizashi Sport SLS has the seat issue, but I'd be interesting in getting a new (albeit ALL-VINYL) seat, lol.

***UNRELATED to this recall and the seat "recall", but, I want to try putting a driver's seat on the passenger side and relocating the power switches to underneath or somewhere else, so the pass-seat has the 6-way power function, like mine does. Does anybody think that's possible?

Anyway--- I'll update you guys as soon as I know more.

I DO occasionally drive on dusty roads, etc... and also have made the mistake of topping off the tank back in 2016-2017 A LOT, when I first bought the Kizash. Could I have caused damaged to the evap canister? Even though this recall is an extremely invasive and lengthy process- I like the idea of NEW parts being installed--- especially when it's not ME who has the pay the stealership for all that (hopefully "pro") labor.
My car has 126k on it now, and buying a new Denso fuel pump for $100 or so to have installed at the same time seems like a smart plan. I'd love to hit 300k in my Kizash. CVT is still whining when I'm "ON IT", but other than that, it's been hanging in there.
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!
KlutzNinja

If you’re not sure where you can get the tank recall done, you can call Suzuki customer service whose number is on the recall cards. They’ll point you in the right direction. You can also look up the locations on the Suzuki auto website. Then just call one of the locations and ask if they do recall work. I would also maybe check yelp and google maps and wherever else to see what people have experienced there. Probably won’t find many reviews but it could help.

The seat recall applies only for the bottom section, not the entire seat. So your fixed seat will be half leather and half vinyl, but if your leather is in decent shape there won’t be much of a discrepancy. It’s only between the driver seat and passenger seat where you see how different they look, if your leather has shrunken like mine and some other’s. The shrunken leather is why the seat recall is being done, I believe, because it tampers with the safety sensors beneath.
Ronzuki

@AirRideFan, if you're south central to eastern PA your recall will likely be done by D'Ambosios Fiat in Frazer, PA. Not sure how many other ex-Zuk dealers there are in PA anymore. I know people in Allentown had vehicles towed to Frazer. ANd shot the breeze w/ a guy from Delaware that came there for service one time. There used to be a pretty large dealer in central PA, Star I think it was, up around / above State College.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

I have (all too) often filled all of my Kizashis until gas runs down the fender........ZERO recalls allowed to be performed on any of them; I'm battin' 1000!