Sold my Kiz and thinking of buying another. Good idea or ?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
LuvmyKiz

I bought a 1 yr old SLS in 2014 and kept it for 9 yrs, selling it this past fall. It was a great car. I stayed on top of the maintenance and other than the usual rear shocks, only had to replace the starter in yr 8. For a few different reasons I sold it at a good price.

I've been missing it since then. I recently saw an online ad for a 2010 SLS with only 56K miles. The original owner passed away and his son is now selling it. The deceased was the original owner and always had it garaged. The son says his father was meticulous with the maintenance and has a stack of receipts/records but doesn't think the AT fluid was ever changed.

I haven't gone to see it yet as it's a few hrs from me. The pics look good and of course I'd test drive it. He's asking $7K for a 2010 SLS with only 56K miles. Am I crazy for even thinking about this? If not is the price fair? Is a 14 yr old tranny a potential issue if the fluid was never changed, even with the low mileage? If I were to buy it should I take it to W. PA for Old Tech to work his magic with his tranny transformation? Or for $8K should I look for something else (there's a very nice 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour for sale with new brakes, rotors and tires for $8K)

Looking forward to getting opinions, either yea or nay. TIA!
KuroNekko

What did you replace your original Kizashi with? What I'm basically getting at is do you need another car and what is your budget? While the 2010 SLS appears enticing, these cars are now at an age where one has to be very careful, especially with a CVT. Old Tech also states that some 2010 models have a manufacturing flaw that can cause cracked engine blocks.

If you want my opinion, it's that you look at other vehicles. Yes, it's sad and I love the Kizashi (still have mine after 11 years) but the reality is these cars are getting old and there is no brand support. OE parts have to come from other countries or wrecked cars. The Kizashi ended global production a decade ago as a colossal failure for Suzuki despite being a technically a good product. As these cars get older, they will need more vehicle-specific OE parts yet these are harder to come by new or used. For these reason, it's hard for me to really think getting a Kizashi now for the long run is a good idea, though keeping one you already have is another matter.

Personally, and if the budget allows, I'd get something newer and more easily serviceable with parts and support. The Kizashi is a great car to drive but its age is showing, even in ordinary performance. I mostly drive city conditions now thus my MPGs are basically around 20 MPG. It's the EPA estimate for my 2011 Sport GTS manual transmission model but it's quite bad for today's standards. It's still cheaper than a newer car but if I was in the position to actually acquire a vehicle, I think I'd have to pass on the Kizashi at this point. It's a great car but for many and for Suzuki themselves, faded to oblivion.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LuvmyKiz

Thanks for the input, Kuro. I retired a few years ago so I wasn't putting many miles on my Kizashi. It was actually our 3rd car. We are two drivers but had 3 cars because we do a lot of driving since we live in a rural area. I sold the car in early November and we can probably get by with only two cars but I sure do miss my old car.
So if I bought the one I mentioned it'd be a 3rd/backup car. I was thinking of it the way some people have a classic or convertible they take out on Sundays. We have a former Suzuki dealership about 35 miles from us and so far he hasn't had a problem getting parts, but of course he has no guarantee he'll be able to get parts down the road.
I can afford the $7K for this low mileage mint 2010 SLS but my thinking is similar to your own...I might be able to drive it for a few yrs but then what. I can afford it but also don't want to throw money away, either.
old tech

I think going into another Kizashi with low miles or at least in very good shape. It’s a very good idea. You know the car and have all the resources here in the site of information and preemptive repairs to make this a very trustworthy car. Maybe even keeping a few parts on hand such as an ignition coil, rear shock mounts and a belt and tensioner. I have moved much of my family into the Kizashi’s to the tune of 20 of these things and some of them have mileages approaching 300,000. (Thanksgiving, Christmas and family reunions are looking more and more like a Kizashi meet )The preemptive repair on the transmission should be done before 100,000 miles and this will let the transmission run probably up to 250,000 miles or more with some maintenance. The way I like to buy these Kizashi‘s is with a bad transmission and then you’re buying it for probably $2000 or less for a nice car. Put $1900 into the transmission (which the the total cost of a repaired and upgraded unit with a year parts and labor warranty)because that’s clearly the biggest failure . The preemptive repair on the transmission is cutting the bill in half and can be done in the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KlutzNinja

I’d love to have another Kizashi again (as an additional car, not a replacement) but it’s just not the ideal time for me. And that’s before the parts scarcity issue. Honestly I don’t know if I’d even drive it much, if I ever got another. Would be too worried about getting into an accident and losing it all over again. Anyway, your situation with the former dealer who can still help you is rather unique. I’ve heard some ex-dealers still service Kizashis, but getting parts is a really nice bonus.

Another way I see things, this car might go to someone who’s just looking for a (relatively) low mileage, affordable vehicle for commuting; they probably won’t appreciate the Kizashi for what it is. They would be fine puttering around in any car, such as your average Corolla or Elantra. An A-to-B appliance. The kind of car you forget about the moment you get out, and never glance back at in admiration or fondness. They’ll not put in the effort to learn about the car, and then one day the transmission dies because they never thought to service it in any way, and then it’s on to the next appliance for them. But you loved your Kizashi (so much so it’s your username lol) and do have an appreciation for what this car is. The Kizashi isn’t some appliance to you.
I personally think that the more Kizashis go to owners who will cherish them, the better. Hate to see these lovely cars go to people who treat them like any other soulless tool.

If you can afford it, plus parts, insurance, and mediocre gas mileage, etc., I would go for it. Not often a Kizashi with that low of a mileage comes around. If you didn’t have that ex-dealer by you, I’d be far more hesitant. Kuro made a good point about the 2010 engines, but that’s a fairly rare issue, to my knowledge, albeit significant and worth taking into consideration. If this was a replacement for a daily driver, then I’m not sure I’d get another Kizashi, for the reasons Kuro mentioned. But as an additional car? Absolutely. Another bonus, on top of the former dealer being somewhat close, is that you’re apparently close enough to visit old tech? Being able to have him service the transmission alone could sway me to get the car.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
LuvmyKiz

It's nice that you appreciate your Kizashi, Klutz. Thank you for your feedback.

Old Tech, how much of the Kizashi is actually OEM Suzuki parts? So far the former Suzuki dealer in my area has been able to get parts but he offers no guarantee as to how long he'd still be able to get them. I know you can find parts also, even from foreign countries, but how long do you think that will last for?
Do you think if I do a tranny service now this Kiz will be good until I get you to do your preemptive service before it hits 100K? (I might never even get to that point with the limited miles I'd be driving).
I'm fortunate to have the dealer in my area now but I anticipate moving in about 3 yrs and probably won't be near a former Suzuki dealer then. I see this particular SLS car being nicer/better than anything else I could find for $7K but wonder if it's still a good idea long term.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! Thanks so much!
old tech

I don’t see a problem with getting used parts. It seems the availability is on the rise. More Kizashi’s hitting junkyards that are dying a more normal death then the transmission failure. As with any collectible car, there does come a time when parts become challenging to get but really, the KIzashi doesn’t seem to consume that many parts. You knowing these cars well plus the knowledge shared here of what to watch out for and locating parts. On the transmission, waiting till a 100,000 mi would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WESHOOT2

I had four.
Kizashi.jpg
Obama_is_hot6

WESHOOT2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm I had four.Kizashi.jpg
you lucky sob lol
YUUUURT