Squeaky/rattling dashboard anyone?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
CLLee

ipaqxman wrote:How do you mount a gps in the tiny hole under the head unit
Like this... ;)
I can close the lid when I leave the car.

GPS is now held in place by wrapping non-slip rubber mats around the suction cup holder, and shoving the rubber mats into the compartment. Just have to wrap it to the right size to fit nicely.
Charging is provided by the ciggy lighter, and another USB extension cord is used for connecting a flash drive for mp3. I bought some short USB cables with flat angle heads from eBay.
ipaqxman

That looks VERY interesting indeed. You can close the lid with the gps unit in place? It would be great if you can show us the rig u describe in photo (behind the gps) since I have trouble picturing how that is done. Probably will not use it for gps since i feel insecure looking down at the gps map while driving, but may be very useful if i can hold my ipod in that position.

Also, I want to thank you for your previous posts regarding the engine ignition noise. The youtube videos allow me to identify my own problem and the dealer was able to address the exhaust and now I no longer have that strange sound, and acceleration is also smoother.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
suzboy

That's interest how you mount a GPS at the glove box below the air conditioning control unit.

I have taken you advice, removing everything from all the storage compartments (including sunglasses holder) but that doesn't solve my problem.

I should also add that the rattle/squeak seems to be coming from where the dash meets the windscreen, in the middle.
It doesn't happen all the time and from my observation, it is more likely to be a problem when I left my car in the sun for more than one hour.

Would that information be enough for the dealer to narrow it down to a few possibilities of source of problems?
2011 Mineral Grey Kizashi Prestige
murcod

You could try popping out the centre speaker cover. Use something to lever it up (being careful not to damage the dash) and then you can remove it. The centre speaker can then also be removed, which will give limited access to the area below. You could try driving it with those components removed and see if it helps you eliminate or isolate it further.
David
CLLee

Sorry to hear, Suzboy, that it didn't help much. :(
ipaqxman wrote:That looks VERY interesting indeed. You can close the lid with the gps unit in place? It would be great if you can show us the rig u describe in photo (behind the gps) since I have trouble picturing how that is done. Probably will not use it for gps since i feel insecure looking down at the gps map while driving, but may be very useful if i can hold my ipod in that position.

Also, I want to thank you for your previous posts regarding the engine ignition noise. The youtube videos allow me to identify my own problem and the dealer was able to address the exhaust and now I no longer have that strange sound, and acceleration is also smoother.
No problem mate. Glad to help.

Here's my setup. Of course, the size of the GPS and the shape of the mount are the key factors here for this to work.
And yes, not a location I would recommend if you tend to glue your eyes on the GPS when driving.

In action :D
murcod

Nice, I've used the GPS function on my phone and had it resting that position with the flap open. As long as you've got voice commands you don't need to look down that often (and then it's usually a quick glance.)
David
ipaqxman

Thanks for the write-up. Flat head USB extension is genius. This should go into the DIY section.

Suzboy. I used to have a rattle under the passenger dash. It's most severe when the weather is hot and when the car is left under the sun. Service deaprtment took off the glovebox and put some tapes around a loosed part and i have not noticed the rattle since.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
suzboy

Will be getting the car checked by the dealer on the first Monday of March. I am a bit worried, as I feel the dealer is not very competent (from my experience when buying the car).

Another thing is the dash doesn''t rattle every time I drive it. Usually it rattles 20% of my trip. So it may be difficult to show the dealer what exactly the problem is.

Nevertheless, I have made a video recording of the rattle to show it to the dealer.

[youtube][/youtube]

Will you guys be kind enough to have a look at the video too to see if you can tell what is the problem causing rattling dash?
CLLee

Great video...

From my experience with dealers... send the video via email to the service manager and advise him to turn up the volume.
I once rocked up with my video of the rattling gasket on my iPhone. Played it for the dealership's mechanic. It was so soft, he dismissed it immediately and sent me packing. 50mins drive for nothing.

Once I got home, I sent it through email to the manager and it was sorted straight away. Lesson learnt.
suzboy

Thanks CLLee for the advice.

This is what I worry the most. Kizashi is a great car, but it is let down by the dealers (but can be said for every brand except for like Lexus?).

The dealer/service manager weren't really that helpful when I was buying the car.

Having a video to show them really help. The rattle doesn't happen all the time, only like 20% of the time (especially driving at night) so I may not be able to explain to the service department what all the rattle is about by just talking to him.