Kizashi Paint Chip Problem !!!!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
gmkizashi

Here is picture of mine. I have had car three weeks and have 3600 miles. It is a 2010 SLS Azure Gray. I live in MA. I have a case mumber from American Suzuki. The Suzuki customer service rep did not acknowledge any known issues when asked about chipping problems. My chips are primarily on the leading edge of hood, the bumper was relatively untouched as were the quarter panels, but there was a small chip on drivers door.They had me take car to dealer so they could forward pictures to regional rep. Dealer pointed out that there were small nicks all over the windshield implying that I came across some type of barrage of salt/rocks etcetera from a truck or something. I said, if that happened, wouldn't the bumper have nicks? They said the bumper was more "flexible" so it wouldn't be as prone to nick. I told them I don't agree with that and that I think the paint is sub-par. I also didn't drive through any such rock and/or salt storm.

I just traded in a car driven for 140,000 miles over 5 years which had less chipping/road rash than the Kizashi. I think the paint work is indeed not adequate for normal wear and tear. They walked me over to a light blue Kizashi with 8,000 miles on it which had no nicks on windshield, hood or bumper, as if to make a slight point that I must have been involved in something environmental, but had also indicated that that my situation doesn't seem quite normal either.

We will see what the regional rep comes back with.
chips-kizashi.jpg
2010 SLS FWD CVT-Azure Grey
Riddler

gmkizashi, that is ridiculous! My current car (non-Suzuki) has no chips on the hood at all after 8 years of driving on some of the worst roads. My only chips are on my doors from people bashing their doors into mine when the car is parked.

I really want to buy the Kizashi, but i'm starting to wonder if I should if all of you have paint chip problems like this. I've been to three Suzuki dealers and they all tell me there are no paint-chipping issues, which is clearly s sign of denial given the stories of this website and your communications with Suzuki corporate. Only one dealer said there was a paint chip issue and he said it was with the metallic red. Funny enough, that same dealership had a black kizashi in the show room with a big white scratch on the middle of the door, which I couldn't figure out.

I have to say that I have never seen any car with paint chips like the ones all of you are reporting even after 10 years of use. Suzuki better get their sh*t together.
ragmopp01

I have to say that I have never seen any car with paint chips like the ones all of you are reporting even after 10 years of use. Suzuki better get their sh*t together.

You might actually be correct, as you stated 'any car', BUT 2005+ Toyota Tacoma's (first couple of years of the latest style) are noted for the paint chipping. Especially the Speedway Blue ones. Luckily for me I read about this and put the 3M protective film on my 2005 at the getgo, and after 6 years the only chips I have on it are where the film is NOT.

Likewise I covered my Kisashi with that stuff immediately upon buying the car. It is, relativeily, cheap insurance. Although Suzuki probably should have done a better job with the paint.
Riddler

Suzuki should put that 3M layer on if it's so good. WTF.

Where did you buy the 3M layer and how easy is it to apply?
gmkizashi

At this point, It appears Suzuki has authorized my dealer to have a body shop present estimate for repair. I was left with the impression that Suzuki will cover this particular claim.

I will confirm once I know. When all is done, I will have to look at the plastic film, but doesn't that only cover bumper and small portion of the hood??

In my case, the bumper is fine, (the paint did't chip there) but it chipped pretty far up the hood. I dont really want to have to wrap the whole hood in that stuff.
ragmopp01

What I had done to my car was, obviously, the front bumper, the hood (it went about 21 inches up the hood), the headlights, just behind each wheel well, the railing between the wheel wells, the door edge guards, the cups inside the door handles, behind the mirrors, and the 'lip' behind the trunk lid. Basically the whole car. I had it done by a professional (he has done everything from VW's to Ferrari's), and, hold onto your hat, it cost me close to $1K. Now I know that is a lot of money, but having had that stuff on my 6 year old Tacoma, and a 9 year old Honda and not only no rock chips the paint still looks as new.

As to getting the stuff. I would start by reading 3M's website. Good info and if you want it done professionally they have a list of installers across the nation:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... _Consumer/

Now you CAN do it yourself. I found this link that sells it to the consumer. Don't know anything about them. I just did a Google search for '3M paint protectant'.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/?gclid=CMX ... bAodkThW_w

Believe it or not, they even have the Kizashi listed. It appears the materials to do it (yourself) and cover as much as I did would run about $500. Of course you do not need as much coverage as I have, that would be up to you.

Good luck with your vehicles. If Suzuki paints your car then, either drive it straight home and install the 3M stuff or go to a professional. I don't think you would be disappointed.
Riddler

I hope there is a better way to solve this than putting a plastic/poly sheet on the car.
Northernstar

chest3r wrote::( Azure grey, 05/2010 manufacture date and I have the rear door chips on both sides with bare metal showing through. Almost looks like if the rear doors sat out a couple millimeters, it wouldn't expose those corners to road debris. Hooray for living on dirt roads!

Updated pics, just the corners, the rest are dirt specks:

Driver side/Passenger side
ImageImage
my paint chips at the exact same place as yours. there's no chip on my hood or front bumper. i still have no clue how did rocks manage to hit that place...... :?:
chest3r

I live in the stix where we have dirt roads, I'm wondering if it is kicking up small pebbles as I dig the AWD into the corners *ooops* The corners do sit out exposed a bit from the rear doors. I wonder if front mud flaps would help to control how much dirt/gravel is kicked up at this spot.

I'm having the dealers take a look at it on Tuesday. They're going to see if they can make a claim with Suzuki for the repairs. I'll post the outcome.
gmkizashi

The dealer sent pics to Northeast Suzuki Rep and got an ok to paint just the hood. Got the car back yesterday and it looks good. They also touched up some light chipping which happened on leading edge of the front quarters and one lone chip on drivers door. I couldn't help notice that my loaner car, a 2007 Buick with 110,000 miles, had a very little road rash. Less than my Kizashi which I had for 3 weeks and 3,000 miles. I'm still concerned that even in these days of "weaker" paint, that the paint job on the Kizashi (at least mine) is not as durable as it should be under typical driving condtions.

Now I have to decide if I want to shell out 500-700 buck for a clear bra. Either way, I'm supposed to take a 1000 mile trip next week, but won't have enough time to get the stuff on prior to the trip. You have to wait 3-4 days if the car was painted in a baking booth (mine was) and several weeks if it is "air" dried. I'm horrified about what will happen on this trip, which is just up and down major highways, not gravel roads or anything.

gmkizashi wrote:Here is picture of mine. I have had car three weeks and have 3600 miles. It is a 2010 SLS Azure Gray. I live in MA. I have a case mumber from American Suzuki. The Suzuki customer service rep did not acknowledge any known issues when asked about chipping problems. My chips are primarily on the leading edge of hood, the bumper was relatively untouched as were the quarter panels, but there was a small chip on drivers door.They had me take car to dealer so they could forward pictures to regional rep. Dealer pointed out that there were small nicks all over the windshield implying that I came across some type of barrage of salt/rocks etcetera from a truck or something. I said, if that happened, wouldn't the bumper have nicks? They said the bumper was more "flexible" so it wouldn't be as prone to nick. I told them I don't agree with that and that I think the paint is sub-par. I also didn't drive through any such rock and/or salt storm.

I just traded in a car driven for 140,000 miles over 5 years which had less chipping/road rash than the Kizashi. I think the paint work is indeed not adequate for normal wear and tear. They walked me over to a light blue Kizashi with 8,000 miles on it which had no nicks on windshield, hood or bumper, as if to make a slight point that I must have been involved in something environmental, but had also indicated that that my situation doesn't seem quite normal either.

We will see what the regional rep comes back with.
chips-kizashi.jpg